The Annual Dark Nights Fix-up.

MattyB

Got all the servos mounted in the Mini Astro Hog today, finished off the maintenance hatch fixing, bit of sanding on the battery hatch and started to fabricate a balsa and liteply cowl, which will be removable, but blend in with the fuselage sides like in the original glow powered model. I figure if I build the cowl up around the motor mounting plate and attach it to that with screws then that will work okay.

Given the fairly cramped fuselage internal space I've been really impressed with the Spektrum AR620 antenna-less sports receivers so I've ordered up a few of those and that will be fixed to the underside of the maintenance hatch/cockpit area.

So I'm pretty pleased with the progress this weekend. Another decent weekend should see the Mini Astrohog ready for covering.

one week ago today(Monday)I visited our site and during the course of flying I decided to fly my Dracon...but I changed the model over in the TX(Hitec A9) to a different one, the oowah...a flying wing(the dracon is a canard)….the result a model that was uncontrollable after the launch and the result broken fuselage.here is the surviving fus nose and the model with its replacement one.....does this qualify me as a member of the 2020 dark nights fixing club.?

dracon 12.jpg

dracon 11.jpg

ken anderson...ne...1..write off dept.

Edited By ken anderson. on 05/10/2020 09:22:49

Here's mine. A victim of balance point too far back and too slow too low, otherwise known as pilot error!

broken herc 01 (copy).jpg

broken herc 02 (copy).jpg

The first one flew brilliantly for about five years. I made this one with retracting U/C, which made it a bit heavy and it didn't fly so well. The rebuild will be either fixed U/C or hand launch - to be decided.

Posted by ken anderson. on 05/10/2020 09:21:59:

one week ago today(Monday)I visited our site and during the course of flying I decided to fly my Dracon...but I changed the model over in the TX(Hitec A9) to a different one, the oowah...a flying wing(the dracon is a canard)….the result a model that was uncontrollable after the launch and the result broken fuselage.here is the surviving fus nose and the model with its replacement one.....does this qualify me as a member of the 2020 dark nights fixing club.?

dracon 12.jpg

dracon 11.jpg

NP, have entered you on the tracker... Is photo 2 a before or after shot? Have you already fixed it?

Edited By MattyB on 05/10/2020 14:15:09

Posted by Toni Reynaud on 05/10/2020 11:22:57:

Here's mine. A victim of balance point too far back and too slow too low, otherwise known as pilot error!

broken herc 01 (copy).jpg

The first one flew brilliantly for about five years. I made this one with retracting U/C, which made it a bit heavy and it didn't fly so well. The rebuild will be either fixed U/C or hand launch - to be decided.

NP Toni, I have added you... What is the model, looks like a Hercules maybe?

Edited By MattyB on 05/10/2020 14:28:28

Posted by MattyB on 05/10/2020 14:14:53:

dracon 12.jpg

dracon 11.jpg

NP, have entered you on the tracker... Is photo 2 a before or after shot? Have you already fixed it?

Edited By MattyB on 05/10/2020 14:15:09 ..

hello matty,yes photo two is the fix...…….new fuz built....hopefully no more to report....but never say never.(I just did) emotion

ken anderson.....ne...1....never say never dept.

Posted by J Moyler on 06/10/2020 07:03:47:

I have a few models to do.

A old ARTF WOT4 to recover and repair

A 72 inch Lancaster to finish off.

A Tony Nijhuis TA-154 Moskito to finish.

JM

NP - have added the Wot 4, but are the other two new builds or fix-ups? They need to be the latter to count to out total. smile

Haven't got pictures but was investigating my option - a Kamco Kloudrider . The damage to the port wing is far worse than I had thought - the result of a careless launch across wind on the slope. Sadly I don't have a plan as I got the model second hand sometime in the late 1980s.

Can anyone help with the loan of a plan for this or send a copy?

Malcolm

Posted by Malcolm Fisher on 06/10/2020 18:47:49:

Haven't got pictures but was investigating my option - a Kamco Kloudrider . The damage to the port wing is far worse than I had thought - the result of a careless launch across wind on the slope. Sadly I don't have a plan as I got the model second hand sometime in the late 1980s.

I didn't find the plan on Outerzone, but a quick Google gave me these - try reaching out to some of the individuals involved, I'm sure one can lend you a plan:

Posted by Malcolm Fisher on 06/10/2020 18:47:49:

Malcolm

Is it just the wing that needs sorting.? If so you could draw up you own plan. You only need the rib / spar positions and an overall outline. Dismantle the broken wing to copy the rib shape. If it's a tapered wing then use the root and tip ribs as templates for the sandwich method. You could make the templates out of thin plywood or aluminium sheet.

I see it's 98" span, according to Google, so a sheet of paper (or 2 or 3 sellotaped) of 50" x 12" should be enough.

John

Thanks for that MattyB - will have a try at those.

John - it is only one tapered wing, but many of the ribs are broken with much missing. I had thought of trying that until I stripped off more of the covering. I was surprised at how much had been lost. Might be able to get the rib profiles from the other wing using a "mimic" - from memory the kit plan I once saw didn't show the rib shapes. I'll manage somehow though.

How are you going to do a repair ?

I had a similar situation on an Irvine 40 case many years ago. I used "Belzona" 2 pack epoxy metal. I presume there are other makes available but I was fortunate in having it in use at work.

I coated a screw with a smear of grease, so that the Belzona wouldn't adhere to it, and fitted in position. Then moulded the Belzona around the screw to replace the missing casting. Once the Belzona had hardened the screw was unscrewed and the repair tidied up with a file to give a flat face for the silencer seal.

The rougher the joining surface the better for the epoxy to grip.

My first fix up is complete! The Vision Plus has flown, and very nicely too - about 25 mins from 1 min of motor run in dead air, just the odd patch of reduced sink from a gentle ridge. With even a sniff of lift this one is going to fly forever, especially given it has a vario! When range checking yesterday it failed before the desired distance from head on and directly behind, so I rejigger the aerials and all was well on test flight (no RSSI alarms, just a couple of lost telemetry calls):

Vision Plus
However, it wasn’t all relaxing fun... whilst rigging before launch I was charged by three of these guys!

Killer cows!

I was very lucky to escape with an undamaged model - they stopped only feet away when I shouted. Given this is a club field I think we will have a chat with the farmer as we are supposed to have free access to it whenever we need to fly; but these adolescent additions are not very friendly!

Edited By MattyB on 08/10/2020 19:53:33

• Like 1

Bit of work on the MiniAstroHog getting the cowl all together and rough planed and sanded. Just about done but needs a final sanding. Unfortunately I neglected to take what I know I need to do as precautions against the CA and balsa dust and failed to wear my mask. That meant an early retirement from the job, before it was completely finished, with streaming eyes and a blinding headache.

Lesson already learned several times but still get caught out by stepping out of the room to escape, rather than using the mask. Quite pleased with the cowl though.

Posted by cymaz on 11/10/2020 06:49:11:

Great idea MattyB. It’s a shame all my refurbs were done a few years ago. I’ve not crashed much since, still, there’s the rest of my flying life to get it wrong.

Np. This isn’t a Comp though, more of a motivational nudge(!), so if you’d like to dust off some of those refurbs and fly them at the virtual fly in in early April then go for it; the more the merrier.

smiley