Larger models

John  Tee

Just wondering. As I haven't spent too much on modelling this year, I have been looking at some bigger models. Am I right in saying ( think I read somewhere) that petrol engines are lower powered than our usual two strokes. I have several 20 and 25 cc Super Tigre 2 strokes and don't really want to spend out on a petrol engine and the accessories if I can help it. It may never come to pass but I like the thought of a bigger model.

John

You could check online rpm reports for the different engines and then decide, e.g. a search using a DLE 30 suggests 7200 to 7300 rpm on a 19 x 8 prop, around 2.7 HP, a ST2000 gives around 9,400 rpm on a 16 x 8, around 2.9 HP.

Friend had a Supetigre 25cc in a Wilga designed around a 30cc petrol, don't think we ever used full throttle, was off the ground on 60% throttle or so.

Many of the early generation petrol engines were derived from strimmer engines, so they were side port induction which limited power output. Others used chainsaw parts, e.g. Quadra, which were still sideport induction but often had reed valves to speed up port opening and closing.

Modern two stroke petrol engines, purpose-made for model aircraft, use shaft or rear drum/disc induction which offer opportunities for greater control of induction timing.

Methanol gives off less power than petrol by weight, but an engine can burn more of it, its higher octane rating allows higher compression ratios and it runs cooler, hence its popularity in some forms of motorsport. Why race car drivers love methanol

Edited By Robin Colbourne on 20/09/2020 23:35:45

Posted by Robin Colbourne on 20/09/2020 23:35:22:

Modern two stroke petrol engines, purpose-made for model aircraft, use shaft or rear drum/disc induction which offer opportunities for greater control of induction timing.

Edited By Robin Colbourne on 20/09/2020 23:35:45

Most of the rear carb models from the likes of DLE etc use reed valves, it's only the engines with a front carb that use shaft induction. The additional power mainly comes from them being tuned for model aircraft use (that and not worrying about noisewink)

• 6 months later...
2 minutes ago, Den Moran said:

Hi! I have a Super Tigre 2000 25cc that I want to use in my Stearman. It was new when I bought it, but with no muffler/exhaust. Can anyone suggest a muffler type that will fit this model engine, please? I cannot find any on sale.Thanks, Den

Den

Bisson Custom Mufflers in Canada can help. They make 3 types of muffler as standard: For upright engines, for inverted engines and Pitts style for side mounted engines. They only seem to list the ST2300 which was a later replacement for the ST2500 but you should be able to check exhaust flange size and mounting bolt centres using their website and your engine.

Just Engines hold some sizes of Bisson products, depending on the style you need, so they could advise on fitting for your engine (and supply you if they have stock), but having ordered direct from Canada last year I can say that Janet Bisson was incredibly helpful and I wouldn't hesitate to use them again. In fact I am going to soon...

Browse down this list to see the mufflers they do for the ST2300:

https://www.justengines.co.uk/shop/exhaust-systems/two-stroke-exhausts/bisson-custom-mufflers-by-engine-manufacturer/super-tigre/bcmpst2023-bcm-2300/?v=79cba1185463

Wow! There is a lot to go at there, Alan, with Bisson Mufflers. They are only 35km from my cousins' place in Humphrey, Ontario, as it happens. GG, I know I can get 'Just Engines' to make one, but I was thinking that another Super Tigre Engine muffler would have the same specs. I'll write to Bisson, and ask them. Thanks, both, Den

• Like 1

On 25/03/2021 at 10:55, Den Moran said:

Hi! I have a Super Tigre 2000 25cc that I want to use in my Stearman. It was new when I bought it, but with no muffler/exhaust. Can anyone suggest a muffler type that will fit this model engine, please? I cannot find any on sale.Thanks, Den

Hi Deb . I don't think you will find any off the shelf silencers for a ST 25cc as they are an old engine now. The power pipes or Throttle pipes made by Weston UK that Dave suggests would have to be very big / long for a 25cc engine and unlikely to be suitable for your Stedman unless you could run it through the fuz. It would be easier to phone Alan at Weston UK or Just Engines and askfor advice about a custom exhaust.

There were some small cast aluminium mufflers available for ST engines but they weren't very efficient at silencing or with performance. 

Good luck with your search.

I have a Seagull Maxilift that original had a DLA 32cc in it, which was removed because it was too noisy and replaced with a Laser 150, the Laser 150 isn't quite as powerful, but sounds a lot better and meets the club noise limit, 82 Dba @ 7m. A Laser 180 would be a fairer comparison to a DLE 35.

Based on my Laser 150 and DLE numbers on line the comparison is 

Laser 150, 16 x 8 prop - 8500 rpm roughly 2.3 HP

DLE 35 18 x 10 Prop - 7,300 rpm roughly 2.9 HP

• Like 1

I have a Laser 150 on my 30cc Goldwing Yak55 and properly tuned it is more than adequate. I had to put the battery right up front to balance it because petrol engines are heavier than glow engines.

I initially thought it wasn't quite enough but I discovered the throttle wasn't opening fully, once fixed, I got unlimited verticals.

Edited by Andy Stephenson
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...