Roto-Duo

David Oatham

Hi all, has anyone built the 'Roto- Duo' autogyro that was a free plan in RCME June 2019 edition? If so it would be interesting to know how well it performed.

As there was nothing currently on the building board, I thought I'd bash some balsa smiley. It's got 2 rotors that spin in opposite directions, but the only steering control is provided by the rudder, which to be honest looks rather small !! smile o

One more thing, does anyone know how I can remove the windings of a couple of old brushless motors. These will be the bearings of the two rotors. I have successfully removed all of the magnets using a hot air gun but i'm struggling with the windings.

Cheers for now, Dave

motor.jpg

Hi David, I was Shaun's helper when he flew the prototype at Ponty smiley
We had several flights with the Roto-Duo that afternoon, he even let me do a few circuits whilst he took some flying shots! I can confirm that the rudder has plenty of authority, in fact it handled in a similar manner to a fixed-wing rudder-only model - though apart from the STOL landings you do need to keep it moving forward all the time. We hand-launched as the grass was too long, but I have subsequently seen another one ROG and as long as the rotors are allowed plenty of time to get up to full speed it looked easy enough!

Re the bearings - I'm not sure but I think Shaun left the windings in place, maybe I'm wrong, not sure.
Hope this helps wink
Cheers - Phil

• 8 months later...

Hi,

The stub axle is perpendicular to the wing bottom as seen on the control horn image.  Carl feathered in his motor mount on the wing . I can see how it looks like it is mounted perpendicular to the wing top. The motor mount detail is shown on the plan. I hope that helps. 

Rgds,

Shaun.  (the designer)

Edited by 2.4g Shaun
Typo
  • Thanks 1

A question on the wing stub: The plan depicts its cross section in an airfoil shape, while in the photographs the wing stub looks more like a wedge with rounded corners. Should I sand the wing stub into an airfoil, or just round the corners and leave it as a wedge?

A wedge will retain more woods, thus makes the wing stub stronger and more rigid. How thick should the wing stub be?

Thanks again.

I can't see that it would make the slightest difference to the way the model flies. As long as the stub wing is rigid enough for the task, suit yourself. People often (usually) deviate from plans to suit their own requirements, whims and available materials. Enjoy the build. ?

• 2 months later...