How i Make AutoGyro Blades

Stephen Jones

How I make Autogyro blades for Rc Models

I am sure there are different ways of shaping a piece of wood to a airfoil having tried a few myself.

Take a full sheet of Balsa 36” x 4” x 6mm and glue to both edges a length of 36” x 6mm x 6mm spruce strip. A good strong wood glue or epoxy will be best to secure the hard wood to Balsa.

When the glue is fully dry mark up the sheet into four by measuring the centre of the width and length like so .

blade devide.jpg

Alternatively if you can get hold of pine beading 900mm x 6mm x 6mm from your local hardware store then that will save you a bit of work sanding it to profile.

Once the glue has fully dried cut the sheet into four Blade blanks .

blanks.jpg

Now you need to sand them to profile like this.

pine blade.jpg

You are looking at getting all four blades to the same profile and thickness .

Steve.

Cont...........

Start by plaining the trailing edge to profile then the leading edge to somewhere near the desired profile as this will reduce the amount of sanding you will have to do. You may want to cut a hole through some ply to the desired profile to act as a guide for checking the thickness of the blade is even running the length of the blade.

blade gage.jpg

blade gage1.jpg

I figured I will brake a fair few Blades in the process of learning to fly Autogyros and so will need to make a fair few blades if I am to pursue making and flying Autogyros.

And as I already have working blades I decided to copy their profile by sticking sandpaper on top of one of my blades and running it back and fourth under some hard foam to copy it`s profile.

sand paper blade.jpg

profile sander 2.jpg

And then sticking sand paper into the formed profile of the foam block.

Steve

Cont...........

You may want to try this method for yourself. If so concentrate on getting one blade as good as you can so that you can copy its profile.. But before you start sanding weigh all four blades. You are after three that are very similar in weight so chose the odd one out as your profiling blade.

I made my profiler out of spare wood I had laying around in my shed so it only cost me the price of a pair of drawer runners.

profile jig.jpg

More on this later…

Steve.

Cont...........

So once you have all three Blanks sanded to profile you will need to prepare the anchor point by cutting away so that the blade can swivel around the anchor bolt in case of a ground strike and reduce damage to the blade.

Now you will need to find the center of mass and the Blades balance point.

Balance point first, I use a long steel ruler that it longer than my blade and place my blade on top of the edge of the ruler to find where it will balance. But you could use anything similar like this.

balance it 2.jpg

balance.jpg

Mark it`s balance point and glue on some thin ply to strengthen the point around where the anchor bolt will be fitted .

The flat bottom of the blade will need a shim adding later so for now just glue in place .

ply.jpg

The long oblong ply sits on top of the blade centred over the balance point that you have marked up.

Now drill the mounting hole through the ply and blade.

glue ply.jpg

Now all three blades have their ply mounts fitted weigh all three and mark up as 1 being your heaviest and 3 being your lightest and 2 the final blade.

sml nrm blade.jpg

Steve.

Cont...........

Now it is time to find the centre of mass of each blade which will most likely differ from each other

center mass.jpg

Now bolt blades 1 and 2 together in order to balance them with each other.

If the difference between them is only small then apply a coat of Ez dope to the lighter blade as this will add weight while sealing the wood. Pay attention to the centre of mass and try to get them as close to each other by applying the dope to one side of the blade allow to dry and re balance. Keep doing this until they both balance pay attention to the centre of mass to try and match remember you can always sand back if you have added too much of the dope or varnish if you prefer.

balance blades.jpg

Once you have got blades 1 and 2 to balance repeat the process with blades 1 and 3.

Hopefully all three blades will now be very close in weight and balance to each other so it is time to cover them you can use heat shrink film or as I did use colored tape.

First seal the edges with tape then you can start to cover the blade starting at the trailing edge.

seal ends.jpg

cover te1.jpg

Last to cover is the leading edge so that none of the over laps are facing into the air flow.

finish le.jpg

Steve.

Cont...........

Now re check the blades balance with each other if not you can add a small piece of tape to the lighter blade to make them balance add the tape somewhere around the centre of mass location.

re balance.jpg

Now you will need to add a shim to give the blade negative angle of attack when fitted to the Delta plate.

mark up.jpg

I find that if I tempory bolt the delta plate to the underside of the blade I can mark where the edge of the Delta plate will be. As we do not want the shim to come off the delta plate when knocked we will fit are 1/64th ply just forward of that line and treat with Ez Dope or varnish.

fit more ply.jpg

Now we can bolt all three blades to the Delta plate for the final balancing you may want to try the blades in different positions to get the best balance ie order as 1,2,3 or 1,3,2 .

20200910_234331.jpg

Some more tape maybe needed to get the perfect balance with all three in place.

Steve.

Posted by ken anderson. on 02/10/2020 08:31:43:

great info Stephen, thank you.

ken anderson..ne..1...blade dept.

No problem,

For years i have wanted to fly Autogyros .

So anything that makes it easier for me may well help others also get into Autogyros.

I think the fact i made one out of a Lidl Glider that bounces has allowed me to keep practicing.

And Finally fly autogyro .

If anyone would like more detailed info size dimensions on my profiler then just ask.

although i think it is pretty self explanatory.

Cheers Steve.

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

Hi Steve

A question about chord wise balance point if i may please.when i check the chord wise balance on my blades they seem to balance further back than shown on the plan[ el bandito).

so do i add weight to the leading edge to achieve nearer the plan spec or go with what i have ie balance point a few mm rear of plan?

regards

Richard franks

• 2 months later...
9 hours ago, Andy Joyce said:

Stephen, notice you drill the pivot hole prior to covering. Is this an issue as adding the covering will change the chord balance position? I made this error on my Panther blades and found the position of the hole to be about 1mm in error.

Not a issue for me as I allow 1mm behind my balance mark plus I find a shiny surface harder to balance on.

Just how critical is + - 1mm ?

Steve.