Your face on your RC pilot

Bob Smitham

At last years Weston Park show I passed a traders stall offering the service described in the thread tittle.I remember thinking it was a neat little fun addition to a build.

Fast forward a year and the idea came back to me when the kids were taking my picture via a phone app.This for them had the hilarious ability to add my head to a Beyonce pop video "shaking my bootie".thinking

Step1: Down load the following free software 3DF Zephyr .

**LINK**

This is the photogrammetry package that will turn your 2D pictures into a 3D object.

Step2: Take around 20-30 selfies with your phone or camera of your face trying to capture the sides and under your chin.The free version of 3DF allows up to 50 pictures.I found just 20 gave satisfactory results.

Import the pictures of your face into 3DF click run and go for a brew.Depending on your system this can take 5 or 10 minutes.

Here is a tutorial of how to do this.(as I mentioned it does most of the work for you)

3DF Zephyr Tutorial

After the software has done it's thing you should end up with a composite 3D image compiled with your 2D pictures.

screenshot (8).jpg

You will need to do a little editing to remove artifacts like your shirt collar .Or in my case the shelf behind my head when I took the selfies.A plain wall back drop and neutral lighting will save lots of time editing the image.

Step3:Find your desired pilot 3D print file on Yeggi or Thingyverse.The one I chose to work with this RAFWW2 model.

screenshot (9).jpg

Step4:Download some more free software this one is MeshMixer which allows you to manipulate your images.

MeshMixer

This software allows you to "sculpt and morph" your pilot.A little more to this software than 3DF software but this tutorial enabled me to work with editing tools within 30 minutes.

Mesh Mix Tutorial

My face scan did require thicken and filling to give it more volume.This was a trial and error.The original pilots face was rubbed out and flattened. My face shrunk down to a scale to match the bust.

screenshot (7).jpg

Various tools in mesh mixer allow you to blend both objects.With self explanatory names like thicken,reduce,smooth and such.

A had the complication of wanting a civilian pilot for my Tiger Moth build so a little manipulation in Mesh Mixer allowed me to flatten the flying helmet speaker cones,harness buckle and life jacket.

screenshot (4).jpg

Step5: I loaded the finished model into Fushion360 and converted the pilot to an STL file.My flattening of some feature went a little too far making the walls too thin to print.This will not show in Cura when you prepare for printing.

I have printed out a small cut down and scaled print to see if it works.

img_3341.jpg

For a first attempt at such a small scale with my printer in need of a calibration it's not bad .

I have printed my face scan on it's own at a scale that is closer to the one I require.

The increase has given much better results.

img_3343.jpg

Now if only I could paint frown.

From start to finish with the STL file ready to print Id say around 4 hours.But with links above and no changing of the original pilot figure it is doable in 2.5 hours.

Edited By Bob Smitham on 30/09/2020 12:25:33

Posted by leccyflyer on 30/09/2020 12:54:52:

Thanks Bob - will have to give that a try. I did have a go using a Kinect game controller, but with no success. The last couple of pilots that I have printed came off the printer missing their faces -though the file was fine when it was viewed in the slicing software.

The problem happened with me.The mesh from the scan is just too thin to print.

You can thicken the mesh in 3DF

screenshot (12).jpg

Or Mesh Mixer.

screenshot (15).jpg

Edited By Bob Smitham on 30/09/2020 14:10:57

• 1 year later...

Hi,

Glad we inspired you !  We are not expensive, so drop by and get a scan.  A dedicated 3D scan from our RevoPoint scanner (down to 30 microns) will always work better and produce better detail than a simple/free phone app(and I am well practiced at creating watertight printable meshes from your data).  We can supply your raw scan data if you require, or a finished (and painted if required) pilot bust or a kit to produce a full body pilot of yourself.  Prices start at £18.

Visit our site; https://www.facebook.com/scalemedown

Regards

Matthew & Gwen

• Like 3