Max Thrust Lightning Motor in a J60?

Matt Carlton

Hello all,

I'm contemplating removing the power system from my Max Thrust Lightning to use in a Junior 60, but having checked the specs of the motor, there is no mention of wattage etc.

Does anyone know what the wattage on 3S might be (roughly speaking)?

My guess is that it's about 300W based on similar size motors. The MT lightning prop is 10 X 6, which might mean that an APC 10 X 5E might work.

Shouldn't need more than 60W/lb should be ample if that's the case.

Cheers

Matt

Matt, if this is the motor I don't think it would be satisfactory. It would probably give enough power but, judging by the size from the photo, would be so light as to require several times it's own weight in ballast to get the cg right. Also I doubt that it's able to run for long periods at sufficient power even just coasting around.

My Jnr 60 is powered by a 152gm motor with the cg about 35cm behind the cg shown on the plan. 60W/lb is more than adequate power.

I thought that may be the case, it IS a rather small motor.

I had a look at 4maxx and they suggest this motor so I'll probably just go with that and leave the Lightning as it is.

I think that if I use a decent size Lipo, maybe a 3S 3350, that could fit close up behind the firewall. That might help the weight issue.

Thanks for your input 👍