New scam alert!

cymaz

18 minutes ago, EarlyBird said:

Cookies are what do it. Browsers use them to help by targeting adds to what you have shown interest in previously. When you go to a new web site you are asked to accept cookies so that you can be helped in the future. 'Helped!' ?

I presume the add blockers delete the cookies on your device. 

No, not that I know of. That's a separate deal by the website you are looking at. I presume (note presume) there is a link that trips the website into sending ads to you. The ad blocker blocks those. Ads appear on your screen. Cookies go to a separate file.

A quick look on the web and this -

"Blocked domains would also be blocked from setting cookies, but there's no "block cookies" function in the extension (ublock origin)."

You might want to read this too -
https://www.theregister.com/2019/11/21/ublock_origin_firefox_unblockable_tracker/

On Firefox there is a delete cookies when Firefox is closed in the Privacy option under Settings.

Edited by Alex Ferguson 2
additional info

13 minutes ago, Alex Ferguson 2 said:

No, not that I know of. That's a separate deal by the website you are looking at. I presume (note presume) there is a link that trips the website into sending ads to you. The ad blocker blocks those. Ads appear on your screen. Cookies go to a separate file.

Nope the cookies are held on your device in browser history and can be removed by deleting browser history in settings, in my case. Then you only get random adverts, but a better selection. ?

1 hour ago, EarlyBird said:

Nope the cookies are held on your device in browser history and can be removed by deleting browser history in settings, in my case. Then you only get random adverts, but a better selection. ?

If you delete "browser history" does this also delete passwords for the various sites (such as Facebook, Eurosport or even this site ) that you wish to not have to put in every time you want to visit it ? 

I have recently been receiving lots of Emails advertising jobs but have not clicked on them (retired anyway ?).  Wondered if these were scams ?

Edited by John Wagg

33 minutes ago, John Wagg said:

If you delete "browser history" does this also delete passwords for the various sites (such as Facebook, Eurosport or even this site ) that you wish to not have to put in every time you want to visit it ? 

I have recently been receiving lots of Emails advertising jobs but have not clicked on them (retired anyway ?).  Wondered if these were scams ?

Passwords are held on my device but are separate from browser history and are not affected when deleting history however automatic login (remember me) is lost. If history is deleted then every website gives a cookie warning and they build up again, a no win situation is my thinking. Alternatively I could manually go through the list and delete the annoying ones; women's clothes, shoes handbags and lingerie. I am now resigned to just ignoring them.

I was on LinkedIn and got the same. I blocked all notifications as I could find no way of cancelling it.

Got a phone scam this morning.

A recorded  message from Bank Security (No specific bank) Two charges on my account one for 400 odd pounds. One for some other figure.  Press 1 to allow the charged press two to talk to someone.

If they can't tell me which bank it is it is obviously  scam.

Pity it is a recording so no satisfaction in saying anything

A new Scam,or at least one that I haven't had before.

An INdian phoned "lady" and spoke to me.

" This is about your refund" (Oh Yeah!!!!)  Due to an error on your telephonic bill you have paid £256 too much"

As my phone is with Talk Talk and paid with my internet subscription.......

My reply was "Male bovine byproduct!!!"

• 3 months later...

Just been reading in this month’s Which? magazine a warning about so called Amazon ‘brushing’ scams.

Apparently people in more than a million households in the UK have received Amazon parcels they didn’t order, usually containing random cheap items. These are sent by unscrupulous Amazon Marketplace sellers to unsuspecting people, and falsely logged as genuine sales to make it look as though they’ve sold more products than they actually have. This bumps them up the Amazon search rankings (increasing the likelihood of increased genuine sales). The article says that Amazon advises customers who get unsolicited packages should contact customer services, and they pledge to act against those who violate their policies.

They say that receiving a mystery parcel does not necessarily mean your personal data has been compromised online, as limited (name & address) data is easily available online for most of us already.

I Have just avoided a new real stinker of a scam.

I got a pop up on my Chromebook which I use for just about all my internet work.

This Pop Up look just like the ones that tell me to be careful when unplugging memory sticks etc.

This one said "We have found some of your passwords on line"  Then links to Pass word stuff allof which asked me to confirm that I was the right person with my internet password.

Now luckily I was puzzled and did not enter my password because I was due to go out.

I worried about this an when I got home I went looking for help with my google. I got onto "Just Ask" and explained it all. I  was passed to an expert.

It seems that this is a new Scam originally aimed at Apple but now being used on other systems.  WOW! That was anear one!!!

Just Ask charges £5 for an answer. Well worth it as it probably saved me a fortune.  After you have had your answer they give you the option of giving the expert a bonus.  Oh Yes I did!! He earned it!!!

On 23/11/2021 at 15:27, Peter Miller said:

I got a pop up on my Chromebook which I use for just about all my internet work.

This Pop Up look just like the ones that tell me to be careful when unplugging memory sticks etc.

This one said "We have found some of your passwords on line"  Then links to Pass word stuff allof which asked me to confirm that I was the right person with my internet password.

Now luckily I was puzzled and did not enter my password because I was due to go out.

I worried about this an when I got home I went looking for help with my google. I got onto "Just Ask" and explained it all. I  was passed to an expert.

It seems that this is a new Scam originally aimed at Apple but now being used on other systems.  WOW! That was anear one!!!

Just Ask charges £5 for an answer. Well worth it as it probably saved me a fortune.  After you have had your answer they give you the option of giving the expert a bonus.  Oh Yes I did!! He earned it!!!

That does sound a bit fishy....

Just Ask charges £5 for an answer. Well worth it as it probably saved me a fortune.  After you have had your answer they give you the option of giving the expert a bonus.  Oh Yes I did!!

The point was that it came up as Google Pop up, exactly like ones that I get to say "be careful when removing the memory card etc etc.

I DID NOT feed in my password because I was cautious and that is why I checked it out.

I Would NOT have bothered if it had been a normal email. I tried to get on touch with google its self but maybe some of you experts can tell me how to talk to google.

• 3 months later...

Just received this from E ON who I am not with,    don't  even like the E Mail address details 

E.ON: Gas and electricity supplier

Notice:

Our system indicates that an error in our billing procedures has led to an overcharge on your latest payment to us.

Our accounting department has concluded that you are eligible for a refund of £85 GBP

E.ON Issuing Date:

10 MAR 2022

E.ON Refundable Ammount:

£85 GBP

E.ON Payment Method:

E.ON Electronically by card

• 2 weeks later...

I just got called by a man with an Asian accent telling me that I had been overcharged by £190 which was some nebulous thing to do with my washing machine and he wanted me to give him my bank details for a "refund". I asked him which bank and he guessed one that I actually had an account with but I told him I didn't at which point he said "wrong number" and hung up.

2 hours ago, ken anderson. said:

i've mentioned before about the lad in Nigeria who has been trying for years to give away millions of dollars...... to people.

ken anderson....ne..1.... Scam dept. 

I know him!! he sends his emails direct to my junk folder

• Like 1

• 7 months later...
30 minutes ago, cymaz said:

HOAX

Cymaz,  as your added link shows this is a very old (and well known) hoax warning, why didn't you just delete the image instead of adding the link when you edited the post ? 

Edited by PatMc