New scam alert!

cymaz

Posted by Martin Dance 1 on 13/10/2020 20:54:20:

My response to the 'non fault accident you were involved in' is to agree with them but then say unfortunately the amnesia I suffered following the accident means I can't remember any details,

Oh yes, I tried a version of that when one rang me at work earlier this year. Back when we used to go to the office every day rather than working from home - anyone remember life that long ago?

Every question they asked, I apologised and said I couldn't remember the details because I had memory problems after being injured in an accident that wasn't my fault.

After the initial questions I then asked them, "Sorry, what was it you said you were calling about?" Oddly they hung up...

A new colleague who overheard me was quite concerned - he wasn't sure if I was being serious or not! teeth 2

I've had 3 calls in the last 2 days supposedly from B.T. all with a very Asian accent and English names. The first one said good morning my name is Jack ,how are you today? I replied I'm alright Jack and put the Phone down. Some time later Dave asked the same question. I just hung up Third one was John I suspect it was Jack, on asking how I was I started rambling on about the weather and moaning about not being able to go flying because of the rain, cutting him off when he tried to talk, he gave up before me.

Edited By Eric Robson on 15/10/2020 10:27:48

• 3 weeks later...

UPDATE.

I completed an "ACTION FRAUD" report on line exactly a month ago. I was informed they would respond within 28 days. What has happened?.....................nothing.

Decided yesterday to take the first steps to reclaim the money via a small claims action.

Registered / tracked letter sent yesterday.

Result?

Money paid back in full today.

Say no more!.

There is also an Amazon scam about .You get an automated call saying you have been charged £79 for a subscription to prime ,please press 1 if this is incorrect . Apparently the customer services person you get through to asks you to download software to your pc to correct the problem .This gives the bu####s access to all your info

Alan

Posted by Doc Marten on 31/10/2020 09:38:44:
Posted by cymaz on 31/10/2020 07:37:01:

Am I really that stupid.....never owned an electric carfist

a04ded65-d132-48e3-94df-be627d23088c.jpeg

The address on that should raise suspicions even if you did own one.

It's all about playing the odds with these parasites, they carpet bomb the 'net in the knowledge that at least one will hit the target and that makes if worthwhile for them.

As long as it’s not me or any one I’m acquainted with

I will copy this here from a locked thread, in case anyone missed it...............

Just had one call me up this evening. “ I’m ringing you up about the car accident you had this week”.

” Really?”

“Yes, it wasn’t you fault”.

”Oh, I’ve had several this week , all my fault”

”All your fault?”

“Of course, I was drunk driving on all of them”

”But what about your licence? “

” I don’t have a licence “..........At which point he gave up.

Edited By cymaz on 31/10/2020 09:44:33

I had an email from my insurer a couple of weeks ago saying that I'd been involved in an accident and it was being claimed it was my fault. Obviously a scam, so I phoned the insurer on a number that I knew to be good and shock of shocks, the email was genuine. Total rubbish of course, more than likely a case of someone writing down the wrong registration number at an incident and embroiling me in something that I have absolutely nothing to do with.

Just what I don't need at this time.

Posted by Alan Hilton on 31/10/2020 09:16:37:

There is also an Amazon scam about .You get an automated call saying you have been charged £79 for a subscription to prime ,please press 1 if this is incorrect . Apparently the customer services person you get through to asks you to download software to your pc to correct the problem .This gives the bu####s access to all your info

Alan

I had one of those those this morning, allegedly from 06135005428 - which of course doesn't exist as the 06 range is not currently allocated for use.

And yes, it told me my Amazon Prime was about to be renewed for £79. Even if I hadn't been aware it was a scam I'd have still hung up as I do have Amazon Prime...

Posted by Peter Miller on 31/10/2020 09:04:49:
Posted by J D 8 on 30/10/2020 21:50:32:

I had one of them calls from Brian in India the other day. I answered in welsh, his reply was very, very rude,disgust but his english was rather good !

For some reason they don't like being answered in Spanish either. Pity! Because I can be very rude in Spanish too.

I've mentioned this one before...

I used to occasionally get a call with a recording implying that I had "won" a free holiday in Florida and I should press 1 for further details. At the time the 'free' holiday was a common scam where the accommodation was indeed free, but you had to buy the flights from them - at a highly-inflated price.

One day I pressed 1 to see where it would lead. An American lady answered and proceded to work her way through a list of questions. I answered each one in French.

She seemed a little confused, but carried on for 3 or 4 more questions before declaring, "I'm really sorry, I don't speak Spanish!"

I almost gave her a very rude Anglo-Saxon response - I know my French isn't brilliant, but mistaking it for Spanish... REALLY? Instead I told her, in French, "What a shame" and hung up.

I never received another call from them after that!

Just had a call from a Liverpool no. asking for confirmation of the car accident I had . I said I was drunk at the time so there was no chance of a claim. She then asked for details I said get off this phone and get a decent job instead of trying to trump up false claims and increasing my insurance. Undeterred she then went on to ask if I had been hurt at work or tripped on anything, after a long silence I replied I caught my finger in a propeller a few weeks ago and it is still painful. Can you give me details she asked ? I said I am waiting for the paint to dry on a model aeroplane and I am going to check on it now goodbye.

Posted by Cuban8 on 31/10/2020 09:54:19:

I had an email from my insurer a couple of weeks ago saying that I'd been involved in an accident and it was being claimed it was my fault. Obviously a scam, so I phoned the insurer on a number that I knew to be good and shock of shocks, the email was genuine. Total rubbish of course, more than likely a case of someone writing down the wrong registration number at an incident and embroiling me in something that I have absolutely nothing to do with.

Just what I don't need at this time.

Had an email from my insurer yesterday to say that the third party's solicitor was happy that my vehicle's involvement in the alleged incident was clearly a case of a mistaken registration being taken down at the time. Case closed but still three weeks of hassle. I won't go into details but fortunately I did have a solid 'alibi' and other digital info as to my whereabouts on the day in question - any other time might have been more difficult to prove if the third party was adamant about  being right.

Edited By Cuban8 on 06/11/2020 13:44:09

C8, glad its sorted for you. Years ago I got a parking ticket, about 5:30 pm in London, so I wrote back explaining my employer would vouch for me up to 5:00 pm and if they could find a route across most of London and then get a parking ticket inside 30 minutes to please let me know. They replied and said there was an admin error

Blow me...about 3 weeks later I saw the same make, model and colour car with a registration plate one digit out (WPP528S)...I didn't think they were meant to sequentially register the same make, model and colour car.

I've had two today within 30 minutes of each other. One was a text, supposedly, from my bank informing me ' A new payee request from an unrecognised device had been made on my account. Authorise or cancel this request via ' and then gives a link' Of course I ignored it and reported it to my bank, in person. They advised that this happens all the time and banks would never contact customers via a mobile number. The second was a recorded message from 020 7365 8745 advising me that I had been reported for tax fraud and, before my arrest, invited me to 'press 1' to get the matter sorted. This got ignored as well. It may just be a co-incidence but, now we are in a second lockdown, the scammers are working very hard. Be extra careful folks.

The variations of these scams ( should be called attempted frauds really ) are endless . I had one on my phone yesterday . Obviously a recording but with a very well spoken voice , It informed me that I owed taxes to HM revenue and customs ; and that if I didn't answer by pressing 1 on my phone a warrant would be issued for my arrest !!!! well I never ? Had I pressed "1" I would probably had a decent wedge removed via a premium number rip off .

I responded with some Anglo Saxon advisories , just in case anyone was listening on the other end and banned the number. No doubt another number will be fourth coming soon .

I have had a recorded message supposedly from HMRC saying I owe a lot of tax, and the one about non existent car accidents. Yesterday I had an email saying that my Wells Fargo account was about to be closed. News to me that I had one. Haven't yet had the Amazon Prime one, I'll know what to do thanks to this thread - hang up. What is annoying are the silent calls which end with "goodbye" after about 30 seconds. The number is always withheld.

Posted by Engine Doctor on 06/11/2020 17:14:39:

The variations of these scams ( should be called attempted frauds really ) are endless . I had one on my phone yesterday . Obviously a recording but with a very well spoken voice , It informed me that I owed taxes to HM revenue and customs ; and that if I didn't answer by pressing 1 on my phone a warrant would be issued for my arrest !!!! well I never ? Had I pressed "1" I would probably had a decent wedge removed via a premium number rip off .

I responded with some Anglo Saxon advisories , just in case anyone was listening on the other end and banned the number. No doubt another number will be fourth coming soon .

I always press 1 and if your lucky you get to speak to such nice people in India. Apparently I was lucky that engineers are working to repair my internet but being rather deaf and old (at least on the phone) I can never understand what they ask you to do with the computer. Lots of fun though and I just hope they have to pay for the phone call.