New scam alert!

cymaz

Strange, I had one from UPS last week wanting to charge in $'s for a delivery they were holding for me awaiting my instructions.

Also Amazon called again from India, nice lady I had a long chat with her before she told me she was cutting off my internet connection. My you do meet such nice people wanting to scam you. Could hear quite a lot of conversations in the background so obviously amazon have a lot to answer for.

Posted by Andy Joyce on 28/11/2020 16:29:02:

Strange, I had one from UPS last week wanting to charge in $'s for a delivery they were holding for me awaiting my instructions.

Also Amazon called again from India, nice lady I had a long chat with her before she told me she was cutting off my internet connection. My you do meet such nice people wanting to scam you. Could hear quite a lot of conversations in the background so obviously amazon have a lot to answer for.

Funny the "nice" lady from India knew a lot of Anglo-Saxon swear words

Just asked her who she actually wanted to speak too. blush

Another one. I had a phone call saying it was ‘about my order for an iPhone 7’. My account was going to be debited by £120 and if I wanted to cancel I should press 1 to speak to an adviser. Naturally I hung up and did a 1471 to get the number of the last call. Not surprisingly it was withheld.

Posted by John Wagg on 28/11/2020 17:11:02:
Posted by Andy Joyce on 28/11/2020 16:29:02:

Funny the "nice" lady from India knew a lot of Anglo-Saxon swear words

Just asked her who she actually wanted to speak too. blush

Surprisingly the lady did not seem to know any anglo-saxon swear words unlike her male colleague who phoned some months ago. She kept asking me why I was making a noise which was rather strange as I was quite civil making sure she was fit and well as would not like to think she would catch covid as I did advise her it has been known to travel down phone lines.

Strange the Covid problem has not affected Amazons business in India and they are all seem to be working as normal helping the old and frail not to have money taken out of their accounts. Have not had a call from them today so perhaps they finally got the message.

If the call sounds at all plausible - i.e. its from Virgin and you actually use Virgin, they should at least be able to tell you your name and address when you ask them. If they can't, it's obviously a scam so hang up. Same applies to emails - "dear customer" is a warning sign.

Edited By Gary Manuel on 30/11/2020 15:03:43

I was browsing the forum when I suddenyl got a google message with some questions about google search and saying that I had won a smart phone.

I started going through it and paid a pound for it witha debit card.

Now trhe way it came on seems to be connected to the forum

Now I am panicing that it is a scam.

ANY ONE ELSE HAD THESAME

Posted by Peter Miller on 30/11/2020 18:59:17:

I was browsing the forum when I suddenyl got a google message with some questions about google search and saying that I had won a smart phone.

I started going through it and paid a pound for it witha debit card.

Now trhe way it came on seems to be connected to the forum

Now I am panicing that it is a scam.

ANY ONE ELSE HAD THESAME

Not me.

I would get on to your bank asap.just for peace of mind.

Sounds like yet another con. to me though.

Just had another scammer wanting to buy two engines I have on the BMFA site. "Could not collect, wanted them for his cousin, working overseas blah, blah blah".

Be careful folks, this is getting worse by the day.

I have just been on to my bank.

A) yes it IS a scam which can pop up over any website you are on.

B) they had already taken the £1 from my account.

C) my card has been cancelled and they have all the details of the website so can be watching for it.

D) I am now going to have a very large whisky and thank God that I caught it in time, first time I have fallen for something but it looked so right until I had just put oin the three number fromthe back of th card...Then suddenly a large smelly rat popped into my mind.

Posted by Andrew Price 2 on 30/11/2020 19:47:55:

But given some unknown his card details, Gary.

This can not be a good thing - at all!!

Yes, but he's cancelled the card before they added more higher valued transactions.

That's what they do. Determine card details using a low amount, wait a while, then take you up to your credit limit.

Peter, I had the same message pop up on my screen when on this website and went through the process of answering the questions and would have won an i-phone 11. When it came to the information they requested, I realised that they were asking for much more information than I felt was necessary so I went no further. The scammers have made up an impressive web site with some good graphics which nearly convinced me but I have recently replaced my phone and didn't need another one. Then I asked myself why would Google want to give something for nothing?

Hi Peter,

I'm really glad you caught it in time.

For what it's worth I never use a debit card for any online dealings, it's PayPal or credit card only for me. The way I see it is if I happen to be unlucky enough to be scammed its the card companies money at risk as it wouldn't be an authorised transaction and thereby saving a potential fight to get my money back from a bank had it been a debit card

I follow all the usual rules, I don't give any personal details to any unsolicited emails or phone calls.......... Not even the amount of windows I have to double glazing ones.

Cheers

Alex