CAA Operator Registration Renewal

Dane Crosby

Posted by Andy Stephenson on 27/01/2021 11:42:15:
Whatever the reason it's just more pointless bureaucracy. Almost 900,000 out of 1,000,000 'drone' buyers have ignored it.

And those "900,000" who bought their drones either ignored the regs or were completely unaware because they never engage with current affairs or got them from the Far East with no warnings enclosed.

A.

I dunno, nor do I care - it's not as if I am responsible for it and nor am I any kind of 'policeman' or intend to be.

I'm just reporting the (a couple of months old) CAA estimate of the number of 'license eligible' drones sold versus the number of licenses the CAA have issued, one of which is mine. Unlike, say, car insurance if the other car is being driven near me, I don't care if the next guy along hasn't got one.

Posted by Andy Symons - BMFA on 27/01/2021 11:59:56:

Of course they may have bought them before DMARES was a thing, flown and crashed it, or its stuck at the back of a cupboard gathering dust as they were pushed out of it because of negativity and hysteria. Also a million drones sold doesn't mean a million different buyers. I have 2 for example. A friend of mine who makes his living with them has 8 - 10 of them.

Edited By Andy Symons - BMFA on 27/01/2021 12:01:31

Dream up any reasons you like. It won't change change the numbers. No model flyer I know has purchased ANY kind of 'quad' or similar and apparently don't intend to.

Which 'proves' one thing only. Argument from small samples demonstrate nothing. Not from your view or mine.

Nor does thinking up reasons on no basis whatsoever. And suggesting they were pushed off by "negative and hysterical" people won't achieve anything either.

Edited By Roger Jones 3 on 27/01/2021 13:51:15

Edited By Roger Jones 3 on 27/01/2021 13:53:31

Posted by Roger Jones 3 on 27/01/2021 13:49:27:

Dream up any reasons you like. It won't change change the numbers. No model flyer I know has purchased ANY kind of 'quad' or similar and apparently don't intend to.

Which 'proves' one thing only. Argument from small samples demonstrate nothing. Not from your view or mine.

Nor does thinking up reasons on no basis whatsoever. And suggesting they were pushed off by "negative and hysterical" people won't achieve anything either.

Your experience differs from mine - I know several model flyers who have purchased quads or similar - in fact I am one. I have two "quads" one with and one without a camera. The former is a very useful tool, that I have less than a dozen flights on -despite the fact that I've owned it for >3 years. The latter is a toy, which does nothing for me and has more flights, but hasn't been flown in more than a year. However at our club indoor meetings there would typically be half-a dozen folks flying similar things.

I believe that Andy, as the representative of BMFA will know many more examples of people who own and operate one or more quads and that by no means necessarily represents a small sample. For the number of claimed units that have been sold a sample size of a few hundred ought to be more than adequate.

Posted by leccyflyer on 27/01/2021 17:47:02:

I believe that Andy, as the representative of BMFA will know many more examples of people who own and operate one or more quads and that by no means necessarily represents a small sample. For the number of claimed units that have been sold a sample size of a few hundred ought to be more than adequate.

I personally know about a dozen people who have multi-rotors, as far as I can recall only 1 of them has only 1.

A bit like model aircraft, although I'm not sure I know any model aircraft flyer who only has1 aircraft.

There won't be any hard data on it but I would be very surprised if 1M drones were owned by more than 300k indivduals.

In a club of 40-50 members myself, double figures of us bought quads, loads of fun, mostly we bought the racing type but there are camera platform types. most of us are in our 50s-60s. Added bonus is we can help potential new members who turn up with them. Great fun when conditions prevent you flying your pride and joy. smiley

Posted by leccyflyer on 27/01/2021 17:47:02:

Your experience differs from mine - I know several model flyers who have purchased quads or similar - in fact I am one. I have two "quads" one with and one without a camera. The former is a very useful tool, that I have less than a dozen flights on -despite the fact that I've owned it for >3 years. The latter is a toy, which does nothing for me and has more flights, but hasn't been flown in more than a year. However at our club indoor meetings there would typically be half-a dozen folks flying similar things.

Immediately below you Andy says "about a dozen" flyers. That's  not "a few hundred".

I'm not going to say how many different flyers I have seen, nor repIy any further as both Andy's number and the number I could produce are meaningless when a million have been sold. What's happened to them is just idle speculation.

It doesn't matter anyway. If you or anyone else like them, fly them. Nobody has to 'prove' anything.

I've been wary of expensive gadgets ever since I bought an iPad. .

Edited By Roger Jones 3 on 27/01/2021 18:24:28

Not trying to prove anything - you already know my views on "proof" anyway -it's for lawyers, mathematicians and alcohol. I was referring to Andy's exposure to BMFA members who happen to fly quads, not how many he knew personally. I would have imagined that BMFA have some indication of multirotor interest amongst members, but maybe they don't.

As I said, the flying of the quads does nothing for me at all - the camera equipped quad produces truly fantastic quality imagery, which has revolutionised photogrammetry at a fraction of the cost of the previous technologies. A really excellent tool, but one which I've only had rare occasion to make use of - non-flyers however are fascinated. I view it mainly as an aerial photographic platform and I have non-model flying friends who do use quads just for that, with no actual interest in flying the thing at all -it's just a means to get aerial shots. Those quads pretty much fly themselves anyway and have zero to do with model flying.

We've had several quad flyers at the club - a few who even fly quite large quads - but they tend not to fly at the main flying field, they head off down the track and fly there. Then there are the indoor quad flyers I mentioned earlier - which includes folks with multiple quads, helis and ever proper model aeroplanes. Andy's point is that 1 million quads sold doesn't mean that there are 1 million quad flyers to be registered.

Posted by Andy Symons - BMFA on 27/01/2021 11:59:56:

Of course they may have bought them before DMARES was a thing, flown and crashed it, or its stuck at the back of a cupboard gathering dust as they were pushed out of it because of negativity and hysteria. Also a million drones sold doesn't mean a million different buyers. I have 2 for example. A friend of mine who makes his living with them has 8 - 10 of them.

Edited By Andy Symons - BMFA on 27/01/2021 12:01:31

Edited By Roger Jones 3 on 27/01/2021 13:51:15

Edited By Roger Jones 3 on 27/01/2021 13:53:31

I personally know several model flyers who have purchased multicolor craft (not all multirotors are quads). Having said that, I've no longer any idea what point you're making!

Posted by Tim Kearsley on 27/01/2021 18:59:51:

I personally know several model flyers who have purchased multicolor craft (not all multirotors are quads). Having said that, I've no longer any idea what point you're making!

My multiroto craft is one of very few of my large fleet which isn't actually multicolored. Off the top of my head the others would be a Eurofighter/Typhoon, an Easyglider and a Graupner Elektro Junior.

Posted by Tim Kearsley on 27/01/2021 20:50:15:

My sincere apologies chaps! This blasted predictive text is a real pain at times. That said, I am entirely to blame for not reading properly what I've written. My multirotor is strictly mono-colour too!

I think we've got a bit sidetracked by this multirotor stuff. After all the thread is about the CAA renewals  and the only distinction the CAA makes about ALL types of model 'aircraft' over a certain minimum weight is those that carry cameras and those that do not.

Edited By Roger Jones 3 on 27/01/2021 21:39:22

Hi Folks

update: Apologies. Reading back a page or so about renewal email

has anyone received a renewal email from the CAA in the past few days? Just received one this morning to say my renewal was due but I have already paid when I renewed with the BMFA in December

Declan

Edited By Declan Barry on 31/01/2021 10:47:40

The answer to this and many other queries were given in the most recent BMFA Zoom presentation.

I'm sure Andy Symons will jump in here soon.

If you paid the BMFA with your subs renewal and not the CAA, BMFA will bulk upload renewals very soon (early Feb I think mentioned?) and CAA will issue your bright shiny new format OP number shortly after that. If you deal with the CAA direct, yes you have to pay but why when BMFA can do it for you.

The CAA have been updating the process we use to submit registrations and renewals. This work is nearly complete, once that is done registration/renewals will be submitted and you will receive your updated Registration details directly from the CAA shortly afterwards. For those who registered through the BMFA last year this will be before current registration expires.

Therefore, you do not need to take any action due to a renewal email from the CAA, please ignore it.

The new system also means that any future registrations/renewals will be done same day.

Thanks for the heads up Andy. I had a confusing email this morning from CAA telling me it's time to pay for and renew my Op number, when I had already paid for it through the BMFA. Not got my new number yet, but as you suggested I will ignore the CAA email till it all gets sorted.

Thanks for keeping us all up to date. Nice one yessmiley