OS glow plug availability

Chris Berry

I've recently noticed I'm lacking any spare glow plugs and have happily been using OS F plugs in most of my 4 strokes including the six lasers and 2 ASPs i regularly fly.

Having searched all the usual suppliers it seems no one has any OS F plugs and very few OS plugs of any kind.

What do people recommend as an alternative, as I've used F plugs for 10 years now and never needed to use anything else.

Thanks

Posted by Jason Channing on 20/10/2020 21:32:50:

Ripmax currently have 4 people working everything due to C19, given the circumstances they are doing very well, even if they have low stock?

It was not a complaint about Ripmax. I have always got on very well with them and had excellent service. Over the last few months I have regularly chatted with them, due to a transmitter problem, which I am waiting for Jim to return to his workshop so that I can get it sorted out. Unfortunately, like most distributors, they have little or no stock on the shelves and little knowledge as to when their orders will arrive. This is one of the problems with putting all your eggs in one (Chinese) basket. Supply chains all over the world are broken and it will take a (very) long time to sort out. Modern business models do not take situations such as these (and weather) into consideration. Accountants are only interested in numbers, not people.

Rant over !

On a positive note. I know that quite a few U.K manufacturers in the model making industry are extremely busy with obtaining materials being the only problem for some of them. Model shops are doing ok with old stock disappearing off the shelves at a rapid rate. We are also seeing a huge increase in the number of people getting involved in practical hobbies.

A few months back I tried ordering some F plugs for work as i use them to test our engines. Took a while to track some down but i did eventually get them. Ripmax bring them in, and as already mentioned they are a little under pressure.

Although not the point of the thread, if you need a plug for a laser the model technics supercat wont work so shoot for the OS F. If you cant get one a need a stop gap an OS, Enya or model technics 2 stroke plug will work but the F is the best bet.

Posted by Paul C. on 22/10/2020 13:46:46:

Hi Jon, just out of interest do you know why the supercat does not work for you ? Never realised that there would be so much difference 4 stroke plugs.

Paul.

Nope. To be fair i didnt test it very extensively, but in my brief test i found that the engines ran slow, hot, and were generally grumpy. As the OS F worked fine i just went back to recommending those.