Plane but which ?

andy paterson

You mention Wot4 in your original post and why not? They are wonderful "aeroplanes" to build and to fly. You also say that you would like the engine upright.

The obvious question is, why do you prefer upright engines? The main reason for inverted or side-mounted engines as far as I'm concerned is to allow the exhaust to deflect the gases downwards. The other reason is to hide them from view for scale purposes.

There is no reason why you shouldn't fit your Saito into a Wot4 with the piston upright. In fact, this would probably be the easiest way. The problem is that the exhaust gases would blow directly onto the wing.

Go for whatever takes your fancy. A Wot4 classic with upright engine sounds ok to me.

Andy, the photo below is my 'Son of Soar' with an upright OS FS52.

The silencer points slightly upwards and does a good job of keeping a lot of the mess off the plane. I could have fitted the engine sideways but the right-hand side cheek would have to be hacked and I didn't want to change the appearance of the model.

Son of Soar

GDB

Have a look at DB Sport and Scale's offerings. Your Saito would suit quite a few of them. It really depends on your predelictions; I like so-called 'Golden Age' and earlier aircraft but they don't suit everybody (whiich is as it should be).

Unfortunately, Richard is having the same problems sourcing raw materials as everyone else and some of the kits are out of stock.

Geoff

Posted by Nigel R on 22/10/2020 11:29:16:

Musketeer

**LINK**

Install the engine any angle you like.

You haven't mentioned what kind of flying you'd like to do with it, that would help.

I think I got the last kit they had in stock (and aiming for 150W/lb performance have decided to allocate my OS 35 AX to it).

Spec says 30-40 Two Strokes or 40-52 Four Strokes - would the OP's Saito 62 suit?

The Sig Liberty Sport was a chunky old thing - I had one with a .61 two stroke in it (probably a Merco, but can't remember for sure) and it just abut staggered into the air - it looked great but was not a comfortable model to fly, on the edge of a stall nearly all the time.

The four Star kit is still around and is a nice light model - mine was powered with several different engines, including electric, but the weight of 16 NiMH was a bit of a drawback! I'm just finishing off an ARTF 4 Star, same size as my old kit built, electric again but with modern batteries.

The 4 Star is a model you have to fly around manoeuvres, not a point it up and open the throttle model - at least not on the Saito 62 - but very satisfying to fly. I only got rid of mine after years of faithful service because I was moving back to the UK (from Finland).

The Super Sportster 40 is another good choice - I built one from the kit about 30 years ago, flew very well on a .48 Surpass, good to see the plan link above as I do fancy another.

• 2 years later...

Mass build 2023 Peggy Sue 2, 0fourniner E, finish Hound Dog or finish x-RES. My thinking is finish x-RES by which time we should have warmer weather for Peggy Sue 2 build. The rest can wait. I forgot finish Rhapsody and start Destiny. All planes but which one in what order, not an easy decision.

Steve