Aeronaut Prop Replacement

Capt Kremen

On this wet 'n windy day, what better way to spend it than balancing some brand new 'Aeronaut' fixed power props for electric flight. I have enjoyed using these, and the companies folding props for years. Practical experience using these is very good. They seem quieter in the cruise, (others have commented so it's not just my ears !), perform equal and often better than the APC 'E' prop of the same size and pitch.

Whilst opening the prop packets today, I actually read the enclosed user leaflet. The last line of which says, quote:

"The propeller must be replaced with a new one after a maximum of fifty flights".

Aeronaut prop users do you follow this advice?

I must admit I haven't, with usually well over over a hundred or more flights on some of my airframes. Apart from the occasional chipped or broken one in that (rare?) hard arrival, I have not found any noticeable deterioration in these props.

Edited By Capt Kremen on 31/10/2020 11:12:09

Mmm ... that's interesting John.

Do you fly off grass or hard surface runways?

I fly off (short) grass, but nevertheless notice grass staining/streaking on the outer third of each blade.

A quick wipe over with Iso-P-Alcohol back at the hangar and the blades come up bright, shiny clean.

Both Aeronaut and APC 'E' props seem very close in balance straight out of the packet. I find it's the hub that is usually a fraction heavy on one side. I add a small blob of hot melt glue on the light side and that does the job.

What do others find regarding balance and what is your preferred correction technique?

I also fly off grass Capt. It may be that with all the rain we have had of late some of it may be down to water erosion from spray being picked up. The model is quite highly powered with an Axi motor.

Notwithstanding this I'm very happy with the Aeronaut propellors performance and will continue to use them as a first choice.

For balancing, as you say they are pretty good out of the packet but if need be I use the APC recommendation: "If your propeller requires a balance correction, we recommend that material be removed from the upper and lower surfaces at the tip of the heavy blade. A piece of clear tape can also be added to the light blade, recommended for electric applications only."