Easyglider 4 alternative engine

Tim Crow

Has anyone got a suggestion for an alternative engine for an Easyglider 4? I have the basic kit ordered and could just buy the Ripmax power kit but that seems too easy, plus I have read other forums suggesting upgrading to a slightly more powerful motor like an Emaz GT2215-09 and increase the prop to 10x6 for better climbs. However, these threads are a few years old now so was wondering what anyone has used recently.

I mounted the motor backwards, don’t use the X mount and bolt through the plastic front straight into the motor with short screws!. I had to drill new holes in the former as the original ones didn’t line up. Tip - use the X mount as a template. The rotating can will be at the back without the alloy prop driver. The motors’ 4mm shaft fits the prop driver and the kit spinner fits 8mm hub blades. I had a look and the prop is actually an 11 x 6 and gives around 200W.

How do you fit the prop driver/shaft to the can? My other models are all slope gliders so I'm not familiar with brushless motors! Can you swap the drive on most brushless outrunners? Seems to be plenty of cheap Chinese stuff on ebay but I don't want to waste money finding out what works and what doesn't!

You don’t use the alloy prop driver. If you rear mount the motor it fits onto the end of the can with small screws. Then the shaft would stick out at the back. In the EG you turn the motor round so the shaft sticks out at the front for the spinner assembly. No need for foam carving. I’m sure the Multiplex power set is great and fits without any of this jiggery pokery but it’s expensive. I had a spare 40A ESC with a programming card so all I needed was the motor and a bigger prop.

• 3 months later...

I eventually opted for a 4max motor which just needed the bulkhead holes relieving a bit using a small round file, plus some short screws and then it was time for a check flight. I cheated a bit and flew it off a shallow slope in a decent breeze - tbh a bit too much and gusty with it. Anyway it flew great with CoG and throws set as the manual with just up trim needed, in fact max up trim really so will set the elevator slightly up on the horn/cable connection next time. Good periods of lift coincided with occasional black clouds which were snowing lightly, so it was easily soarable for periods with only a quick motor run needed between. Sub-zero temps soon stopped play, landing was nail-biting with it being a bit tight and bordered by cables and trees plus enough turbulence to have it rocking and rolling on approach. After a couple of full-throw corrections needed in the last 10' the touch down was flat and level so it's all ready and waiting for a better and warmer day.