Advice please

Andy Mason

I got the one you mention about a month ago, it’s the old model but with the glass bed, I think it was about £160 off the creality website. So far using fusion or thingiverse for the models, cura for slicing and it’s worked fine, just don’t stop the print and let the bed cool down as the print will loose adhesion, with pla I’ve also raised the bed temp to 50 degs and it works a treat. Hope that helps.

When I got the printer I watched a few YouTube videos. You will have to make sure you get the cross arm perpendicular when you assemble it and then level the bed, nothing too hard. I’ve bought some esun pla 1.7mm from Amazon and also have some Amazon basics abs to try. Initially I printed out some of the prints that came with the machine, mainly animals as that’s what my daughter wanted, then downloaded and played with some thingiverse stuff, and went from there. I was pleasantly surprised how straightforward it has been, go for it, you will enjoy it.

Hello all you experts out there, recently been given a small CNC router but seems I need CAD and CAM software, looking on the internet it all seems expensive and complicated, don't really want to splash out at this stage but would like to try and learn first. Can anyone suggest any suitable freeware that is not too complicated to use so that I could give it a try. Not looking to make anything fancy at this stage but just thought it may come in handy if I need to cut something to make repairs (again) etc. Any suggestions or advice would be most welcome

Thanks, and stay healthy, Peter Goldsmith

For CAD there are several free alternatives, for CAM your choice of free stuff is a bit limited.

There is no such thing as an easy piece of CAD software

CAD - Try Fusion360 or the now defunct 123D Design, or maybe LibreCAD. There are quite a few other CAD applications.

For CAM, for a cnc router, there is the free version of DeskProto 7.0. You can also use the excellent EstlCam software, it is free if you can put up with the nag screen and the ever increasing delay in the operation workflow......removed by purchasing the license. EstlCam does require a certain hardware to use the sender portion of the software so many people just use the CAM portion and a separate sender. Those are the only free ones I am aware of...but there are probably more.

On top of the CAM software you may also need a Gcode sender as some of the CAM software just creates the gcode and does not have the ability to send it to the router, fortunately there are plenty of those applications available..UGS, OpenCNCPilot,GRBL Controller and many others.

Christmas is coming ever closer and my Wife is insistent on ensuring I have a present purchased in sufficient time. Have thought about a 3D printer but given the hassle of using CAD wonder if the item will be a white elephant. So have all found a 3D printer a useful asset.

Other option is a vinyl cutter but found that my laser is pretty good at cutting solarfilm to make individual letters but would like to produce more complex letter groupings and insignia in different colours.