Quest hustler

jeff2wings

I thought I'd look into building something new for one of my classic engines to go into and that would not take up to much time, so it was ether kit for a super Tauri or this...........

img_20201120_174209 (2).jpg

img_20201120_174250.jpg

So let's take a look at what you got in the 70's

img_20201120_174442 (2).jpg only things not included are wheels and a spinner

img_20201120_174549 (2).jpg

No plan ether, all printed directly onto the wood

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Progress so far with the Hustler

img_20201123_172948 (2).jpg

img_20201122_172416.jpg

originally the tank would be built in,not a good idea

img_20210107_214531 (2).jpg

around four hours work,now for the wings....................................oh dear !

img_20210107_175439 (2).jpg

one of the problems with old kits (this one is around 40 years old) is that you never know how its been stored and foam wings don't like being left in a cold,damp loft/garage for decades ,as can be seen the veneer has buckled/detached from the core

img_20210107_213717 (3).jpg

both cores were striped without damage,however finding the veneer to recover them was a problem,not just balsa in short supply but the lovely people at balsa cabin where able to cut some skins of the size needed from some damaged sheets thereby saving the day ! yes brilliant service

img_20210107_183342 (3).jpg

ready for the new skins

Following your build with great interest and seeing the pics and review, reminded me that as a lad just getting into rc flying with my dad in the Hastings clubthat I think I only ever saw one kit in the local model shop and one down the field. That particular model was tissued painted in Epoxycote and looked good in the air with Enya 40 power.

I think the era was synonymous with kit manufacturers trying different ways in presenting kits managing costs and instruction quality. Ripmax had some great products and the Moonshiner still,is one of my all time favourites and mine is still hanging in my workshop today. I think the Hustler was a follow on model to a high wing trainer kit that was released before or at the same time as the Hustler.

Really interested to see how it goes together and flies.

I had a Hustler. In fact it was the first plane with ailerons I ever built. I bought it from 'Hobby Lobby' (unrelated to the US company) in Southampton, simply because I thought it looked nice. It went together fine and flew well. At first I fitted an Enya 35 but later I 'pepped it up' with an OPS 40. I had Futaba M6 radio in it. This was the 27 MHz days of course.

Later on they made a Typhoon and a Macchi (also known as the Sia-Marchetti) SF260. I wanted the Macchi but Hobby Lobby didn't have it in stock so I bought the Typhoon instead as I was determined to buy something. That was fine too. I fitted Bob Violett retracts as Hobby Lobby had them too.. Bob Violett was later 'famous' for his IC ducted fan, EDF, and turbine planes.

I am pleased to see your OP about it as despite looking quite thoroughly several times yours is the first reference I have ever seen to Queat or the Hustler

Edited By Roger Jones 3 on 12/01/2021 12:29:12

• 1 year later...
  • 1 year later...