Marutaka project

kevin b

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, Nigel R said:

Looks ace. Sold already you say?

More like built to order !  (my club instructor)

Interestingly it is coming out quite light, although it has been cloned from the kit.

The Hellcat did too.

I can only assume that the reason these old kits seemed to come out heavy was due to the materials used at the time.

I am getting a bit stuck now as I want to finish this before I start the next one.

I can't cut the hole for the exhaust until I get the silencer and they are still on back order.

Maybe I will have to learn how to weld aluminium and make my own.

Unless anybody has a spare Pitts silencer for a Thunder Tiger 61 2-stroke ?

13 hours ago, kevin b said:

More like built to order !  (my club instructor)

Interestingly it is coming out quite light, although it has been cloned from the kit.

The Hellcat did too.

I can only assume that the reason these old kits seemed to come out heavy was due to the materials used at the time.

I am getting a bit stuck now as I want to finish this before I start the next one.

I can't cut the hole for the exhaust until I get the silencer and they are still on back order.

Maybe I will have to learn how to weld aluminium and make my own.

Unless anybody has a spare Pitts silencer for a Thunder Tiger 61 2-stroke ?

Wood selection was an optimistic way of describing things, in my experience of older kits.

The Maratuka designs seem fundamentally quite good in terms of structures so no reason why, when you actually do choose wood, they should come out that heavy.

What is the exhaust hole spacing, is it the same as the OS 61 (42mm) ?

Hi GG.

The muffler is not the problem. It's where the exhaust pipes come out of it and getting them to exit the fuselage in as near a scale position as possible.

If it were a sport model they could come out of the side with no hassle.

The other alternative is to fit a manifold extension, but in the case of the Pitts it would have to be over 100mm long !

Edited by kevin b
spelling !

Thanks David.

I consider myself very fortunate in having managed to survive long enough to save for a good pension and associated interests.

I only have two problems with my workshop. Lack of skill and dust. Both of which I am working on !

I have now decided to bite the bullet and finish covering the Pitts.

I shall have to make allowances for cutting the exhaust outlet later.

I need to start the next one as soon as possible as it is now the flying season !

• 1 month later...

Ok.

So Friday afternoon (last week) I get the run of the spraybooth (needs cleaning !).

Then, because it needs to be white undercoat (yellow doesn't cover well at all) I have 4 colours to mask and paint.

This means getting up at 6.15 on Monday morning so I can complete it before lunchtime (they want the booth back to clean)!

Image0385.jpg

Image0383.jpg

Edited by kevin b
missing text
  • Like 3