Marutaka project

kevin b

Moving on from Monday, progress has been made.

The engine was shoehorned in and all the surfaces connected.

Then the undercarriage and there we are !

Only took 610 gm lead in the nose and all up weight was at the light end of the spectrum.

Club instructor is now happy, but a little nervous about the maiden (he has requested "no spats").

The only other thing left is to replace the spinner with a red one !

IMGP6309.JPG

IMGP6310.JPG

• Like 4

Nigel.

The top wing is held on by bolts, which fasten into blocks set into the centre struts.

Eric.

As I mentioned earlier in the thread, I am building these models as a proof of concept and it is not necessary for me to complete and fly them.

If anyone is interested in having the airframes at a (very) reasonable cost I am happy to part with them.

The P61-B is likely to be built for electric power, but if somebody wants it to fit ic I will build it accordingly.

That is the reason for asking if anyone is interested at this stage.

• 5 weeks later...
On 17/05/2021 at 12:37, kevin b said:

Nigel.

The top wing is held on by bolts, which fasten into blocks set into the centre struts.

Eric.

As I mentioned earlier in the thread, I am building these models as a proof of concept and it is not necessary for me to complete and fly them.

If anyone is interested in having the airframes at a (very) reasonable cost I am happy to part with them.

The P61-B is likely to be built for electric power, but if somebody wants it to fit ic I will build it accordingly.

That is the reason for asking if anyone is interested at this stage.

Hi Have you had a taker for the P61 yet ???

andy

Ok.

So I have drawn the files, cut some wood and collected the mouldings.

Problem 1. The vac formers didn't listen to me and made them all in clear.

I have had to primer the solid ones so that I can see what I am doing !

They would need painting anyway.

The work bench has been cleared and off we go.

IMGP6347.JPG

IMGP6391.JPG

Though I would be good and follow the instructions on this one as it looks complicated.

I was right, but the instructions are to say the least "minimal".

Anyway, on with the build.

Fuselage first, which took some figuring out until I realised the instructions image showed it built upside down !

Not a lot to it from a woodwork point of view. It seems to be mostly plastic covering.

IMGP6365.JPG

IMGP6376.JPG

IMGP6377.JPG

• Like 1

Whilst that was drying I decided to have a look at the tail feathers.

There is nothing shown on the plan (or in the instructions) as to how the stabiliser is attached to the fins.

It just sort of "pokes" into the sheet covering, so I replaced the lower rib V1 with some solid lightweight balsa up to under the stabiliser to add some strength.

Don't you just love these old kits !

Next up the motor mount conversions. This is going to be electric powered, so I designed a modification at the front of the booms to accept the motors and allow the batteries to be fitted behind, as far forward as possible.

It came out rather neat and adds more strength as well. The end of the tray glues to former OB2.

Before anyone asks, the coloured wood parts are to show which are laser cut. Plain balsa / ply is from stock.

IMGP6384.JPG

IMGP6381.JPG

Edited by kevin b

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...

More progress !

To be honest, I have been busy making the best of any flying opportunities and have had to do a lot of work in the garden.

I am also having problems sourcing the correct materials for the wing joiners.

The original kit ones are of an extremely specific size.

Currently I am looking at a combination of aluminium and carbon fibre.

Anyway, here are some photos.

Not much done on the booms, but the centre section is starting to take shape.

However I am starting to get a few "chicken and egg" situations arising regarding shaping and attaching parts.

The instructions are no help either.

I have also found that there are 2 extra plastic mouldings that seem to be the same shape as the boom underneath ones.

Maybe for the landing gear doors if retracts are fitted ?

They are the same shape, but a lot shorter.

IMGP6562.JPG

IMGP6561.JPG

IMGP6564.JPG

• 1 month later...

Had a bit of a break from this one. Most of my building time recently has been repairing crashed models and not just mine !

Anyway I am back with it now and ready to tackle the most difficult job. Aligning three fuselages. The SLEC jig isn't much help with this one !!!

It has to be straight in all three dimensions.

I now also have the outer wings ready for sanding. I had some problems obtaining matching wing joiners, but eventually sorted it out with a carbon tube outer and an aluminium inner. Cost was an important factor and the tolerances on aluminium tube were too much. Either they jammed, or rattled.

The original kit showed the outer wings secured by pieces of metal strip attached to the top of the wing with self tapping screws through the tubes. I think I will have to do better than that !

IMGP6687.JPG

IMGP0002.JPG

• Like 3

Spaghetti anyone ?

It took about 8 hours to do the wiring, which had to be done before the final sheeting.

Every connection was tested at least 4 times and servos plugged in.

I have just noticed, I missed the nose wheel retract.

Fortunately it is an easy to get to one at the end of the lead.

IMGP0010.JPG

IMGP0018.JPG

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...

Ok, sanding done and plastic parts have been tried for fit.

Had to replace F8 with a new former as the plastic parts on top of the fuselage are a different shape.

Check them against the original kit ones and they are a perfect match.

Anyway problem solved !

Not very happy with the mouldings. Although they are to original spec, they seem very flimsy.

Am having replacements made in thicker material and Eric is going to put some additional strengthening under the fuselage in case of wheel up landings.

All in all not a bad model, but I think they rushed it into production and didn't flight test it enough.

Eric is happy with it though and has taken it to finish off.

IMGP0030.JPG

IMGP0038.JPG

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Slight delay as I had run out of wood dye.

This time we are on David Dickinson orange.

The decision has been made to build it for ic, as it would be easier to convert to electric than the other way round.

It will also be fitted out to take electric retracts as the original had a fixed undercarriage.

IMGP0069.JPG

IMGP0070.JPG

IMGP0086.JPG

• Like 1