RCM&E December 20 / Jan 21 Issue

Capt Kremen

RCME arrived this morning. It says December2020/January2021. Does that mean there is no January issue next year? How do we even get 12 issues a year let alone the 13 issues once advertised?   The advert here on the forum still says digital+print subscribers get 13 isssues online!

Edited By kc on 02/12/2020 13:44:41

Opening the Dec/Jan RCME reveals that the next issue is February 21! No 'Special' and no January issues. So we have lost another issue and instead of the recently advertised 13 paper issues per year we now look to be getting only 11........

Don`t really want to post doom and gloom for the mag. which I have had almost from the first issue, but there is very little of interest to report on, presumably for the fairly distant future. With the shortage (none existence?) of balsa supplies, there is little point in continuing to publish free plans unless these are kept for happier days.

Surely there must be people out there who can impart some of their knowledge of things like making up proper linkages, not sloppy plastic snakes; how to mould your own cowls and spats by a practical modeller, not a GRP professional; installing various types of retracts so that they actually work; fitting hinges correctly; servo installation; compatible paint to go with the chosen covering; how to program various Tx`s for, say, a four servo glider wing; cutting your own foam wing cores and how to skin them, etc.

Posted by Nik Harrison on 04/12/2020 11:34:57:

Why is my subscription terminated? I have a direct debit set up and have been receiving RCM&E for some years. Now I try to initiate a new subscription and it tells me my email is invalid. I can still log on and make a posting so what is going on!

Nik, this website and the subscription side of things are unconnected. Probably best you contact subscriptions direct to see what's going on.

Martin.

It isn't just magazine content that is the problem. The advertisers don't want to spend as they have nothing on the shelves to sell. Supply chains are in tatters. The physical shops also have lots of empty shelves and little chance of filling them until well into the new year.

In my opinion it is a sensible move for any sales based magazine (That's about 99% of them) to drop to bi-monthly issues. At the moment the important thing is survival, for all of us. Publishers are under the same pressures as all industries. On the positive side, there might be a glut of free plans when things return to normal (whatever that is).

My advice is go online and buy some back issues of magazines you never bought for reading material. That's what I did (it also works out cheaper !). smiley

**LINK**

**LINK**

Just put it down as another "Covid cost"

Edited By kevin b on 04/12/2020 18:24:12

Not sure that the idea to stop printing plans due to the rumored shortage of balsa holds water. Those plans aren't going to spontaneously combust and can just be stored, whilst most are probably never built from anyway.

Like many folks if I wanted to I could easily build at least 10 free plan sized models without having to buy a single sheet of balsa and probably a couple just from the scraps box. There is also balsa out there if you really did need more.

No sign of this month's mag yet though.

Shall I commit hari kari now!!?

For goodness sake pick yourselves up and be a bit more positive!!!

OK the mag is late -but no surprises there with covid (not got mine yet)

There are lots of things we can do with/without balsa. The free plan is always a big attraction to me.

Slec will sort something out, the film industry need it too, although disappointingly the reference to Indonesian 20ft container has been removed. No explanation why. But it is mentioned in the paragraph below, hoping the quality is good.

My subscription shows ending in February, but as it is a direct debit it automatically renews every three months

Edited By i12fly on 04/12/2020 20:55:06

I don't feel 'doomy and gloomy' - if stuff is not available, I will try and improvise. If the price of stuff keeps rising until I feel it is too expensive, I will make do and mend smiley

However, if an issue is going to be late, or numbers reduced, I would like to be told in advance. I don't think that is unreasonable. I appreciate that a simple cheap electronic communication will not reach 100% of readers/subscribers but I would think the majority would get the message.

GG

Still not got my copy yet, it's not the first time this year or last. I know it's hard times for the mag but it's hard times for me as well. I'm a pensioner who only flies electric and builds with foam/depron so there's often very little in the mag for me, I won't be renewing my subscription. The mag is available in the newsagents at the moment so there's no incentive to part with my paltry pension on a subscription. One last thing, it's hara (belly) kiri (slitting) but I think you might have meant seppuku.