RCM&E December 20 / Jan 21 Issue

Capt Kremen

Posted by Martin McIntosh on 04/12/2020 15:18:34:

cutting your own foam wing cores and how to skin them, etc.

Well I did just that in this month's magazine about our LLC Solarwing.....
It was my first, and probably only, article ever, but I tried and hope you still found it somewhat enjoyable to read.

I asked them about the dec/jan issue, this was the reply I got:

"It was a late decision due to the latest English lockdown. This should explain things:

Due to November's month-long English lockdown MyTime Media decided to postpone their magazines' on-sale dates until after the lockdown had finished.
All MTM magazines, including RCM&E, were rescheduled to avoid any going on sale during the lockdown, during which time the majority of UK news outlets would be closed. Hence, it was decided to rename the December issues to December/January to cover the time the issue following the lockdown would be in the stores.

So the next one will be the Feb issue."

I'm pretty disappointed that there's no special issue and that the number of magazines received in a year is down even further. I paid up front for a years subscription, told I wasn't eligible for the free gift despite taking out the subscription on that basis, and then finding I don't get my 7 free plans in a special.

I will not be renewing. I feel robbed.

Posted by David Hazell 1 on 07/12/2020 13:18:48:

I'm pretty disappointed that there's no special issue and that the number of magazines received in a year is down even further. I paid up front for a years subscription, told I wasn't eligible for the free gift despite taking out the subscription on that basis, and then finding I don't get my 7 free plans in a special.

Are you serious? Have you noticed what's happening throughout the world in 2020? Right at the start of the pandemic it was explained by iirc David that there would have to be cutbacks owing to the difficulty in getting articles to fill the mag, staff shortages, printers being shutdown, transport limited and all the other 1001 obstructions created by Covid. People are dying, being made redundant, bankrupted, businesses failing and you are concerned that you won't get some free plans? Really? angry

How about supporting the publishing company in the hope that they will still be in business next year to publish a 2021 Special?

Posted by malcolm woodcock 1 on 07/12/2020 13:50:28:

Just watched the postie go by, didn't stop, no mag. I wonder if they'll still have any left in the newsagents? What's the point of having a subscription?

I'm the same malcolm. Postie been and gone, no magazine. I understand there are bigger issues going on in the world, but, why have a subscription service? Issue delayed with minimal notification. If this wasn't the last decent magazine going atm I would cancel my subscription.

Posted by Bob Cotsford on 07/12/2020 13:46:16:
Posted by David Hazell 1 on 07/12/2020 13:18:48:

Are you serious? Have you noticed what's happening throughout the world in 2020? Right at the start of the pandemic it was explained by iirc David that there would have to be cutbacks owing to the difficulty in getting articles to fill the mag, staff shortages, printers being shutdown, transport limited and all the other 1001 obstructions created by Covid. People are dying, being made redundant, bankrupted, businesses failing and you are concerned that you won't get some free plans? Really? angry

How about supporting the publishing company in the hope that they will still be in business next year to publish a 2021 Special?

Yes Bob, I'm serious. Yes Bob, I am aware of the pandemic and my purse is decidedly lighter for it. I paid for 13 issues and a lot of plans. I also believed I was completely entitled to the free gift which was the final decider in me subscribing. I was bitterly disappointed to be denied that. The special issue shouldn't have been binned. There are many many articles/plans that could have been re issued as a special. I would have been much happier had that been the case. Are you really actually angry that I have made a decision where to spend my money?!

I massively support the industry in buying kits and being a member of BMFA and being a member of my flying club and buying from many UK based stores via their online presence.

Have a lovely day!

Posted by David Hazell 1 on 07/12/2020 14:27:53:

Are you really actually angry that I have made a decision where to spend my money?!

I massively support the industry in buying kits and being a member of BMFA and being a member of my flying club and buying from many UK based stores via their online presence.

Have a lovely day!

I was actually quite annoyed by this David though possibly not as much as the 'smiley' indicated - frown might have been more appropriate. Not by your choice as to where you intend to spend your money, of course that is your choice. More by your indignation and apparent lack of sympathy at not receiving everything promised in such a disaster of a year. You are of course entitled to your views even if I do not understand or agree.

Enjoy your day too.

Mine turned up in the post today, around 1400. Mind you, even at the best of times, the post never gets here before 1230!

Long gone are the days when the post was *always* delivered before 0900, and a second delivery around 1200 - and that was in the days before post codes and electronic sorting!

Strangely - and despite post codes being clearly visible - we regularly get mail for two other addresses that read similarly, but have wildly different post codes!

Grrr!

--

Pete

Whilst not initially noticing that it is a bi monthly issue this time, understanding that some will be aggrieved could we not go into sackcloth and ashes mode. In years past modelling mags filled the shelves choice was all, now I suspect all is run on something less than a shoestring, printers laid off, transport only for amazon, articles less numerous then hens teeth.

Lets cut the team a bit of slack they have done well to produce what they have. As with all production in December target dates are halved due to Xmas and new year. We do not pay extra for free plans they are just that. Missing one months mag could well be the difference to none at all. Though I do have out right sympathy for those who have not received one at all. There are enough teddies in the corner for now lets not add a few more.

Wishing Everyone a good Xmas and a decidedly better New Yeargift

Mine arrived a week ago. In current difficult circumstances I think we need to allow a bit of tolerance in our expectations. I’d hate to see the magazine disappear and I’m happy to see the editor and his team use their discretion in the process of ensuring that our hobby interest has a quality publication to reinforce our credibility. We’ve already lost RCMW and Q&EF magazines.

The 'small print' does have a comment about having the right to amend the term, but the adverts had and still have the number of issues ( 13 or 12 - never any mention of 11 ) and the subscription cost.

If you pay for something you should get it If the deal you subscribed to offered 13 issues then surely you should expect 13 issues. If any particuar issue is not published then one should expect to get a further issue at the end of the subscription or a refund for goods paid for but not supplied.

Posted by kc on 07/12/2020 17:25:15:

The 'small print' does have a comment about having the right to amend the term, but the adverts had and still have the number of issues ( 13 or 12 - never any mention of 11 ) and the subscription cost.

If you pay for something you should get it If the deal you subscribed to offered 13 issues then surely you should expect 13 issues. If any particuar issue is not published then one should expect to get a further issue at the end of the subscription or a refund for goods paid for but not supplied.

YES, YES and YES again! I will still occasionally buy the mag, but when the "free plans" (they're NOT free, it's all costed in) have a plane I'd like to build and there are enough articles of interest, I'll support my local newsagent.

I think it's entirely right to be able to voice my dismay - I know the circumstances are exceptional, but the subscriptions are all bought in advance. The adverts still seem to be every other page so there must still be advertising revenue coming in. I know there's not been so much to report on, but this could have given ample opportunity to get some reader feedback on what the extra issue should instead contain, re issue past plans, re issue tech articles of interest etc.

I don't want to be rubbing people up the wrong way, but I do want my voice to be heard. I'm sorry if I upset anybody, but if you want something to change you have to speak out.

David Hazell, I agree with you - I always looked in WH Smiths to see if RCME contained a plan etc worth buying. In the good old days a couple of years ago I looked at all 4 RC mags and bought whichever looked worthwhile. I feel that buying in a newsagents supports the magazine more as it's there on the shelves for newcomers to see and perhaps buy. However not going to the newsagents now means having a subscription.

I suggest it's worth while downloading and keeping the "Subscribe Now " page above as it shows the deal " With every Print issue you'll find a high-quality free plan along with an accompanying build article. RCM&E publishes 12 great issues a year. " Keep it as evidence and surely Consumer Regulations will mean the publishers will have to honour the deal shown. Paying by credit card would give easier 'leverage' too if you don't get what you paid for.

The current subscriber deal in RCME looks very good - a free Twister Ninja 250 worth apparently £64.99 when you subscribe. Seems to be 2 year subs at £90 and valid to 13th January ( 15th on the opposite page! ) and credit card price seems same as Direct Debit on this advert (sometimes costs more for credit card )   Compared to current £5.75 newsagents price that would be  £138 for 24 issues.    Saves £48 and a free helicopter!   Or saves £36.50 if you do eventually only get 22 issues!

Edited By kc on 07/12/2020 19:07:22

Edited By kc on 07/12/2020 19:10:12

I posted earlier some suggestions for articles but with the shortage of materials at the moment they may be useless even if printed, as would be free plans.

If the mag. has nothing new or of much interest to anyone to offer then I would think that bi monthly would be a good route to follow, with of course a refund for subscribers to 13 issues.

Talking of subscriptions, some of those offers to newcomers are quite good, such as the permagrit but I feel a bit peeved that regular subscribers get nothing. Similar to the AA where you can get basic cover for £39 plus a £20 M&S voucher as long as you have let it lapse for a day or so, otherwise your loyalty is rewarded with a bill for £78, and that is now for each vehicle you own.

I shall have to see how it goes because I could always pick up a copy from Smiths if it interested me.

I've asked Beth, the subscriptions manager, to see what's happening as far as dispatch is concerned. I'm told that all subscription copies have been posted but they are taking longer than usual to arrive - a combination of Christmas time post and Covid slowing things down.

The message is to please allow 2 weeks for arrival before you put in a call/email to subscriptions dept.

Martin, according to the phone call I made in November to MyTimeMedia I could take advantage of the Permagrit offer by paying now for a subscription to follow on from the end of my current subscription ( January21 in my case) So i did that and expect the Permagrit items to be delivered when they have taken my payment ( today as it happens ) We will see in due course.

Too late now for Permagrit but there is a Twister Ninja heli offer at present but seems to be for the 2 year subs.

However i disagree with Martin about free plans. There may be a shortage of balsa at the moment but other materials are available and balsa will hopefully return soon for those without some stock, so it's well worth while having plans even now - in my view. And thats my main reason for buying RCME - having plans on hand to build when it suits me and much cheaper than buying later. And of course 'armchair modelling' - studying plans to see what innovations and ideas they incorporate. Without free plans I would not bother to buy RCME.

Mine arrived today and it's a good issue.

Every business is being tested by covid including publishers, printers and distribution. I think we just need to be patient and keep supporting them by buying the mag on subscription or over the counter. Then they'll hopefully be there for us to enjoy when things return to normal.

Posted by David Pearce 4 on 08/12/2020 14:57:04:

Mine arrived today and it's a good issue.

Every business is being tested by covid including publishers, printers and distribution. I think we just need to be patient and keep supporting them by buying the mag on subscription or over the counter. Then they'll hopefully be there for us to enjoy when things return to normal.

I agree with you, David. I got mine this morning,too and it looks to have some excellent content. I'll continue to subscribe ... or cancel and resubscribe (see below). We'll miss it if it went.

When I first got interested in aeromodelling about 20 years ago I was recently retired and did the shopping and most of the cooking. Every week I would go into the newsagents and there were lots of modelling mags to choose from, including ones from the US. That's no longer the case and magazines for us are very thin on the ground in our small market town.

My onlly little gripe is the special offer to new subscribers. I've been a full print edition subscriber for about 3 years and bought the magazine regularly before that but I pay for my loyalty by being denied this free offer This is nothing new, of course. My father subscribed to Reader's Digest for decades (there was always a pile in the bathroom for something to read whilst otherwise occupied ) and he complained about not being able to take advantage of special offers to new subscribers. IIRC they sent him the special offer.

Geoff