Swizzle Stick

EarlyBird

What have I bought is it a plane?

No it's a 3D/Fun Fly with huge control surfaces.

As you can see Sarik included the magazine article. Very interesting!

img_20201207_135952641.jpg

Sewn hinges?

I will have to go buy some needle and thread also I should have listened to my mum when she tried to teach me to sew. When I was at school girls did the sewing and the boys woodwork. How things have changed for the better.

This is going to be more fun than I was expecting.

Anyone want to join in?

thinking I could go the whole hog and use IC, now there is a thought surprise

Cheers beer

Steve

Maybe Peter could make another but larger Swizzle Stick for electric if he ever runs out of ideas........ perhaps 48 inch span?

It might be better if it had conventional hinges though as in my household ( as in most ) my wife does the sewing and I do the woodwork! The world works better when women do the things they do best and men do theirs.

The Smith Special looks interesting but I am happy with the Swizzle and can't wait to fly it smiley

It only takes eighteen hours to build from scratch and I am cheating with the plan pack so probably a month for me laugh

The article is very amusing Peter.. " This one will froth your adrenaline!" made me laugh.

I hope it will prop hang.

I am like a kid at Christmas smiley

Just what I need.

Cheers beer

Steve

Posted by kc on 07/12/2020 19:44:58:

I remember the Fan Dancer name but I cannot find the plan listed by Sarik or by ADH. I thought it was probably a Radio Modeller plan with arrowshaft fuselage.

kc, If you look at the second and third pictures in this Ebay listing and use the zoom function, you can see most of the Fan Dancer plan and the fuselage construction that Peter described: Fan Dancer Plan

Edited By Robin Colbourne on 07/12/2020 23:18:20

Basic 3D came in two versions - 1 full span wing, 2 clipped wing by removing wing tips. . The one flown by a clubmate flew better than a Wot4 - if anything can. So a worthwhile plane.  The photo shown by Sarik is the very same photo used in the article with number 19 on the fin so I don't know why they comment - could it be there is another plan with same name......

Fan Dancer. I thought it was an RM free plan and I have the magazine and plan somewhere. Not my kind of plane with boom fuselage and the warning not to use full throttle. Swizzle Stick tempted me at the time it was published, but narrowly missed being built when I thought about the small span - too small at 40 inches. Otherwise fine with neat ideas like the rudder chamfer to allow one piece elevator. Dead simple construction.

Edited By kc on 08/12/2020 11:26:30

The first time I came across Fun Fy was in R/C Report, an excellent newspaper style magazine from the USA (Alabama I think) At the time it was the only place that they flew the classic Fun Fly with its insane manoeuvrers such as Roops which was so many loops and rolls which had to done from take off to landing in about 10 seconds to stand a chance.

I bought three Florio Flyer Stunt Wagon kits. One for me, the others for a friend. They were sensational.

I let the friend with the second kit fly mine with the firm instruction "Only USE POWER while manoeuvring!" He totally ignored that. The tail fluttered and disintegrated.

When he finished his own he flew it and guess what? Old lead fingers flew at full power...very briefly.

The third kit went to another friend who never finished it and I have it back minus all the wing parts.

Trust me. They are fabulous to fly as intended and make people stand and gasp when flown properly.BUT THAT WARNING IS SERIOUS. Fullpower ONLY when manouvering.

I could frighten everyone silly with one by doing a touch and go and rolling it with just enough room for the wing tip to clear the ground.

I have started the build process, I am at the planning stage.

This is a plan pack and there is no additional wood pack available, so breaking new ground again on my way to building from a plan and ultimately scratch building.

One step at a time is the way I work.

I have started by, creating a lists of wood and equipment I need to buy, and checking what needs changing for electric power.

It all looks straight forward so far.

More to come on this one but I have the RF-4 to complete.

Cheers beer

Steve

This is what you get as expected in a laser cut plan pack.

img_20201209_094303770.jpg

img_20201209_094442174.jpg

Plus the plans and Peters article from RCMW November 2010. I have checked and there is nothing missing.

Just if you are wondering how the balsa crisis is affecting Sarik here is a note.

img_20201209_094645410.jpg

There are no 1/8" balsa parts but they have provided twice the number in 1/16" to laminate, R3 ribs and formers. No problem.

Cheers beer

Steve

I have glued all of the 1/16" components together to make 1/8", ribs and formers.

I have glued the two halves of the fuselage sides together then I will add the ply doublers.

While working on this it struck me that this would easily scale up to 50".

Hmmm thinking another project for me.

Cheers beer

Steve

I have found a local printer Newton Printing Services in Barton upon Humber which is only seven miles away and even better the bus stop is almost outside the shop door. They do up to A1 which I think will be large enough. I will find out when I pay them a visit which will be in the spring.

The doublers are glued and dried overnight.

img_20201213_081744046.jpg

I must be learning something as this time I made them handed without applying any glue on the wrong side.

The formers have been prepared by sanding off the burnt wood along the edges.

This is a very simple fuselage build and does not need a plan, just a straight centre line. On the plan the former centre lines are marked so if one is cutting the formers the line is there. On the laser cut formers the centre line has to be drawn in before using them.

Next start by gluing formers 1-4 on to one side of the fuselage.

More to come.

Cheers beer

Steve