Which edf?

SIMON CRAGG

Posted by Fun Flyer on 09/12/2020 19:34:08:

Have you tried 4 Max Simon? I've always found them very helpful.

Thanks for the heads up on 4max.

They have got a d2842 - 2300kv which looks a possibility, not sure it would as good as the 3048 - 2000kv it had in it to start with.

HK do not quote thrust or total output, which is frustrating when trying to find a replacement.

There is always the Dr Mad Thrust! b3048 -2300 which looks a bit of a beast......but out of stock as usual!

Hi Simon . Quite a few available on eBay for not a lot of money . I bought one about eighteen months ago for a HK Viper I was given . All looked ok but it did need balancing . If you don't balance them they sound awful and scream like the early five bladers . Now gives good thrust and a great sounds. I opted for a 4s unit but there are still plenty of 6 s units on there. Worth a look ?

Edited By Engine Doctor on 10/12/2020 10:37:10

Posted by Engine Doctor on 10/12/2020 10:35:02:

Hi Simon . Quite a few available on eBay for not a lot of money . I bought one about eighteen months ago for a HK Viper I was given . All looked ok but it did need balancing . If you don't balance them they sound awful and scream like the early five bladers . Now gives good thrust and a great sounds. I opted for a 4s unit but there are still plenty of 6 s units on there. Worth a look ?

Edited By Engine Doctor on 10/12/2020 10:37:10

Thanks for that.

I have tried both dynamic and static balancing, without much success. There appear to be many ways to do it!. Please can you explain the way you balance a twelve blade EDF?.

Simon, i have tried all sorts of edf units, if 50mm i go for the FMS 4 s units, but dont run them up holding them, any pressure on the fan case will force the blades to fly off, anything above this i go for Chain-sun units from RCCastle in China, superb service and if you pay for air mail-only a few dollars more they usually arrive in14 days, the fans are balanced so you get that turbine sound, there is a company in France Turbines rc i think , they are worth alook.

Posted by Geoff Parkes on 14/12/2020 08:53:58:

Simon, i have tried all sorts of edf units, if 50mm i go for the FMS 4 s units, but dont run them up holding them, any pressure on the fan case will force the blades to fly off, anything above this i go for Chain-sun units from RCCastle in China, superb service and if you pay for air mail-only a few dollars more they usually arrive in14 days, the fans are balanced so you get that turbine sound, there is a company in France Turbines rc i think , they are worth alook.

I have got an FMS 3060/1900KV 12 Blade, on its way from Bangood.

According to the reviews I have read, they are a good EDF.

I would stillike to find a decent way of balancing the blades, you are right about holding the case......destroyed my last one by holding it! Hopefully there is another way.

Posted by SIMON CRAGG on 14/12/2020 08:35:26:

Thanks for that.

I have tried both dynamic and static balancing, without much success. There appear to be many ways to do it!. Please can you explain the way you balance a twelve blade EDF?.

Hi Simon .There are a few good demonstrations on youtube of how to balance a fan.

I bought a very light and accurate balance from rapid RC . Use this can get the fan near to balanced. I use thick cyano dripped into the blade near the hub so little chance of being thrown off . If you apply too much cyano just grind off with a dremel .Then fit fan to the shaft marking the fan and shaft with a magic marker and fit to motor . try to find a shaft adapter that is a really good fit onto the motor shaft thats important . Now spin it up . I use a servo tester as a throttle control and mark it to set to about half throttle .I then test the vibes when running with either a mobile phone with a vibe app or a piezo crystal connected to a volt meter. Move the fan on the shaft a small amount and retest . you may also have to move the shaft adapter on the motor shaft as these can be quite out of balance . When you find the sweet spot tighten the shaft fully. takes a bit of time but well worth the effort. Hope it helps .

There are probably far more experienced EDF balancers on here who can advise .

Posted by Engine Doctor on 14/12/2020 12:27:42:
Posted by SIMON CRAGG on 14/12/2020 08:35:26:

Thanks for that.

Hi Simon .There are a few good demonstrations on youtube of how to balance a fan.

I bought a very light and accurate balance from rapid RC . Use this can get the fan near to balanced. I use thick cyano dripped into the blade near the hub so little chance of being thrown off . If you apply too much cyano just grind off with a dremel .Then fit fan to the shaft marking the fan and shaft with a magic marker and fit to motor . try to find a shaft adapter that is a really good fit onto the motor shaft thats important . Now spin it up . I use a servo tester as a throttle control and mark it to set to about half throttle .I then test the vibes when running with either a mobile phone with a vibe app or a piezo crystal connected to a volt meter. Move the fan on the shaft a small amount and retest . you may also have to move the shaft adapter on the motor shaft as these can be quite out of balance . When you find the sweet spot tighten the shaft fully. takes a bit of time but well worth the effort. Hope it helps .

There are probably far more experienced EDF balancers on here who can advise .

Thank you so much for that. I think my prop balancer is way to course, so I'll have a look at the Rapid RC version. Great idea about the vibe app. which I have now got!