New from Multiplex - Lentus 3m Glider

Posted by Devcon1 on 11/12/2020 17:04:33:

That looks Gorgeous . I've been looking for something a bit bigger than my much loved Heron.

Struggled to find anything to meet my criteria.

Multiplex know how to fill a gap.

Thanks Steve for the post.

John

I think so too John. And, it's much more affordable that the recent Antaris, which although in a different league altogether is a real thing of beauty in my opinion.

Edited By Steve Colman on 11/12/2020 17:49:23

Posted by flight1 on 11/12/2020 18:38:20:

Is this available now? or is it typicaly multiplex style next summer end, don't get me wrong always been a fan of MPX products

That used to be the case MPX would show products several months before they were released, but then found that the Chinese had copied them and released them before they had, so now they don't release a product until it's ready to ship. I don't think it's in the UK yet, but it is available in shops on the continent.

Posted by Steve Colman on 11/12/2020 17:38:01:

Prices. Details.

RR 570 euros. Kit 270 euros. Retractable gear optional extra ( don't know price) allowing ROG with 4S lipo and small prop.

Seems impressively stiff for a large foamie and the weight is not awful considering the construction method, but those prices (particularly the RR version) are going to kill it here unless Boris can pull a free trade deal out of the hat in the next few days. If you want one order it this week! Luckily I have my Antaris ready to start building over Xmas... smile d

Edited By MattyB on 14/12/2020 08:49:25

A lot of money for a foamy though, which is what I thought when I bought my Heron, and the Lentus looks like it's just a bigger version of the Heron, with added retracts. For 500 Euro you can buy a Horizon Hobby Epsilon 3500mm or a D-Power Streamline 350. Granted you would still have to buy a motor & servo's extra but probably better value. I bought the Streamline.

Just looking at the WTO tariff schedule, toys and models, have a maximum 4.7% tariff so that might apply (but the document isn't that easy to follow so i may be wrong!). Not sure how ordering from the EU will work after 31st Dec but I suspect it will be similar to ordering from the US and China etc. i.e. you don't pay the VAT in the country of purchase but in your country. So the EU model shop would charge you less VAT and then you would be liable for the UK VAT (%20), any Tariff due and the collection fee. Not sure what would happen if you ordered and paid now but only took delivery in the new year.

While the Lentus does look very nice, I don't think it's a big enough step up from my Heron, which while a very nice model and very enjoyable to fly doesn't have the energy retention of a mouldie so at that price I think I'd be scouring the BMFA/BARCS classifieds for a used mouldie.

Posted by Steve J on 14/12/2020 10:15:17:

I am very sceptical about a foam glider with that wingspan. I have a Solius and a moulded 2m glider. The Solius is fine as a hack, but the Graphite is in a different league.

Yeah, rigid as this appears to be you can see it doesn't hold energy like a mouldie does - that is the area foamie gliders always seem to lack, no matter how well engineered they are.

Posted by Steve J on 14/12/2020 12:37:51:
Posted by Frank Skilbeck on 14/12/2020 12:11:40:

Just looking at the WTO tariff schedule, toys and models, have a maximum 4.7% tariff so that might apply (but the document isn't that easy to follow so i may be wrong!).

According to the CAA, I fly unmanned aircraft and have to pay them £9/year for the privilege.

yes

Posted by Frank Skilbeck on 14/12/2020 14:59:24:
Posted by Steve J on 14/12/2020 12:37:51:
Posted by Frank Skilbeck on 14/12/2020 12:11:40:

Just looking at the WTO tariff schedule, toys and models, have a maximum 4.7% tariff so that might apply (but the document isn't that easy to follow so i may be wrong!).

According to the CAA, I fly unmanned aircraft and have to pay them £9/year for the privilege.

yes

The CAA can call them what they want but according to HMRC they are 'toys' so look forward to paying tariffs, collection fees and 20% VAT. crying

Posted by Justin Paull on 16/12/2020 22:03:49:

So if one were to pre-order the kit is at Linderger for free delivery before the end of the year and I pay tax in the UE. Come Feb when this ships....what then. Is it going to get stuck in customs. Am I going to get stung with a Parcel Farce handling fee?

It’s impossible to say. With everything going on at present even the Brexit talks are having to play second fiddle, so it’s unclear whether there will be a deal, and if not what the tariffs will be on specific goods (I’ be tried working it out based on the WTO site, it was impenetrable!).

That looks very nice in the flesh. Will be ordering one.

To add the foam discussion I've dunked my Heron twice, tip stalled after an atrocious hand launch (my fault) and ploughed into the strip fast during a low inverted pass.

Both times I expected write offs but each time minor damage was all that occurred. Wings separated in both incidences.

You can't beat foam for crashability.

• 4 weeks later...