New mod's

Welcome, both!

I've always appreciated Martin's posts - factual, sensible, and it's very rare that I see anything from him that I significantly disagree with.

As for John S... well, I know him mainly through the Formula 1 thread - hmm... Not so sure! smile p Only kidding, John!

Well done to both of you!

[EDIT - as an afterthought,  could I request one of the mods to remove the "greengrocer's apostrophe" from this thread title please? smile o]

Edited By John Privett on 17/12/2020 18:35:08

Posted by John Privett on 17/12/2020 18:32:30:

[EDIT - as an afterthought,  could I request one of the mods to remove the "greengrocer's apostrophe" from this thread title please? smile o]

It's a pet hate of mine too but might not the apostrophe signify missing characters in the word "moderators"?

Edited By Martin Harris on 17/12/2020 18:46:50

Posted by Martin Harris on 17/12/2020 18:42:49:

[EDIT - as an afterthought, could I request one of the mods to remove the "greengrocer's apostrophe" from this thread title please? smile o]

It's a pet hate of mine too but might not the apostrophe signify missing characters in the word "moderators"?

You beat me to it, Martin as bit of an apostrophe anorak, too

Congrats to both new mod's

Geoff

I sense a mod's test looming - the subject of punctuation and spelling often raises "lively debate" with differing opinions of their importance.

Rest assured that I understand your frustration at the common misuse of various spellings and punctuation but I'm only too aware that the rules and conventions of the English language are wide ranging - I'm sure that any of us can and do make errors that would have an English teacher squirming. Perhaps trying to set a good example is the best way to educate?

Thanks again for the kind messages to John and me - or are you lot just softening us up for a sucker punch? wink

Posted by Martin Harris on 17/12/2020 18:42:49:

[EDIT - as an afterthought, could I request one of the mods to remove the "greengrocer's apostrophe" from this thread title please? smile o]

Hmmm... you know what? You might just be right!

It kind of backs-up what I said earlier about your posts! teeth 2

Wikipedia has a comprehensive treatise on the subject - and should anyone be interested enough to follow the link it should clear up any misunderstanding over the various uses of the apostrophe.

I think you're right Gary - a mod's responsibility is to guide the tone of a discussion rather than correct its grammatical content - talking of which, perhaps we should return to the main theme of heaping praise and platitudes on the blushing heads of the new moderators!