New mod's

Posted by Martin Harris on 18/12/2020 00:23:41:I think you're right Gary - a mod's responsibility is to guide the tone of a discussion rather than correct its grammatical content - talking of which, perhaps we should return to the main theme of heaping praise and platitudes on the blushing heads of the new moderators!

Nice to know our new Mods are optimists wink.

Must be an age thing, the term 'Mods' still brings to mind a picture of Parka clad youngsters in skinny trousers riding Lambrettas with a month's wages worth of mirrors bolted on the front face 1

Posted by Gary Manuel on 17/12/2020 23:53:50:

Mods = plural of mod (no apostrophe in either).

Not sure why it matters but it just does.

Mod would be mod' otherwise surely.

Anyway, all this has absolutely nothing to do with the job of a mod (no apostrophe).

I was always taught to put a stop after the abbreviation of etcetra to show it was an abbreviation - as in etc., so I propose that your "mod" should be mod. rather than mod' as you suggested.

Not much else to do these days, so we might as well talk about something wink

Dick

Must be an age thing, the term 'Mods' still brings to mind a picture of Parka clad youngsters in skinny trousers riding Lambrettas with a month's wages worth of mirrors bolted on the front face 1

Arrr - will own up to having been a SX200 owner smile d

How to alienate friends - become a mod - only kidding - Welcome I guess it can be a tuff but necessary role thumbs up

That's your card marked then Ace - although as my parents didn't want to encourage me and finance a proper bike, my 16 year old's pocket money would only stretch to a dodgy Li125 from a schoolmate which I rode from my 16th birthday for a couple of months to get me on the road until a swap/cash deal bought me a Triumph Terrier (which I still own to this day) to set me on the road to my ultimate goal of a Triumph Bonneville.

I was horrified when my Mum presented me with a parka - "to keep me warm while I was riding" - and it was returned to Milletts in short order.

Little did I know that I would ever end up being referred to as a mod!

Thanks...

Edited By Martin Harris on 18/12/2020 12:24:23

Posted by Gary Manuel on 18/12/2020 12:05:56:

Modern dictionaries are now starting to include mod as a word in its own right. This would suggest that no punctuation is required whether we are talking about a single mod or multiple mods.

Splendid. I think that means that everybody is correct and we can draw this side issue to a full stop!

• 2 weeks later...

Probably of topic here,was not going to post until I see a post about apostrophe`,"`s.

As someone with Dyslexia for many years and a age when this was not recognised putting a comma etc in the right place is way way down on my worries, I could not give a monkeys/monkies or monkey`", s if ,I spell mods ,mod`s or its or it`s.

One of the new mods/mod`s might need to correct some of this post because stress causes my Dyslexia to flair up

Posted by Bill Reed on 01/01/2021 12:04:41:

Probably of topic here,was not going to post until I see a post about apostrophe`,"`s.

As someone with Dyslexia for many years and a age when this was not recognised putting a comma etc in the right place is way way down on my worries, I could not give a monkeys/monkies or monkey`", s if ,I spell mods ,mod`s or its or it`s.

One of the new mods/mod`s might need to correct some of this post because stress causes my Dyslexia to flair up

If it doesn't bother you then why comment about it? Ignore it and just carry on as you have for all this time.

Edited By Phil McCavity on 01/01/2021 12:16:13

Sometimes the written word can convey the wrong meaning by the omission of a comma, or an apostrophe.

However, one can always ask a question if one is unsure, to avoid confusion.

Bill, don't let your Dyslexia stop you from posting, your ideas and comments, are as valuable as all those from the

"Pedants" , myself included, on here.

Happy New Year.

D.D.

Sounds like my primary school playground in the early 60s. You 'had' to choose whether you were a mod or a rocker. I don't think any of us knew what they were, but it was mods on one side of the playground and rockers on the other, fights in the middle.

Posted by Shaunie on 02/01/2021 19:54:11:

Gotta throw my tuppence worth into the ring.
Please get rid of the Grocer’s apostrophe’s. They have no place in an upper crust forum such as this. Especially one hosted by a publishing house. 🤪

Is this the same publishers that employs the dyslexic proof readers for their magazines ?

devil

Posted by Shaunie on 02/01/2021 19:54:11:

Gotta throw my tuppence worth into the ring.
Please get rid of the Grocer’s apostrophe’s. They have no place in an upper crust forum such as this. Especially one hosted by a publishing house. 🤪

Surely you mean Grocer's apostrophes Shaunie.