Help with vintage gear

Roger Fayle

There are Facebook groups for Keil Kraft, Veron and Mercury Kits. Otherwise post the pictures here and we will do our best to identify them. Ebay completed items is handy for valuations (sold items have the price in green, unsold are black). The prices paid can vary a lot, due to condition, amount of detail in the item description, whether they will ship and if so, whether they will send abroad, and to a certain degree, pure luck. There are also unscrupulous sellers who get people to bid their stuff up in the hope that someone will come in at the last moment and outbid them. If you see the same item readvertised after a sale, more often than not that is why.

For top dollar, advertise worldwide on Ebay, although expect a considerable amount of work photographing and describing each item. The more effort you put in, the more you will get. Use all twelve pictures per item and for maximum reward, list what is in the kit box unless it is still in heatshrink, in which case leave it unopened.
Make the first picture one showing the box and the contents. A lot of collectors will pay more for a good clean box and the reassurance that they are getting everything that was originally supplied (I write an itemised list describing each component).
There are dealers who will take the whole collection off you for a lump sum, but as they expect a reward for their efforts when they resell, the earning per item will be considerably less, but so will the time you have to invest.

Advertising on the 'For Sale Ads' here is also well worth doing, as is Facebook Marketplace, which can be seen nationwide although expect to have to deal with a good number of chancers and idiots on the latter.

If you wait until one of the Old Warden model flying days, and get a table at the bring and buy, you should get a reasonable audience. Next year's dates are: 8th and 9th May, 24th and 25th July, 18th and 19th September.

Unless you are happy to sell everything by post with all the flaff that involves, wait until Coronavirus is over so people can come and collect.

Beware of scammers. Even with the various checks and tests on the various model flying selling sites they still get though, so unless everything is absolutely straightforward, don't proceed.

Are you looking to sell these items? What they are worth I'd largely a matter for the buyer. An unopened kit may have more value as an artifact than something to use, as often the components are not in usable shape.

We're all 'collectors' to an extent though, so I suggest a few pictures showing what you have would be the best place to start.

I'm always more than happy to provide a loving home for old modelling gear, as are most of us here I suspect! Show us what you have and we'll do our best to advise.