Flite Test Spitfire

Daren Cogdon

Well, I've had another three flights with the Spitfire since last week.

Sunday's flight didn't go so great because the battery came adrift and sent the Spit into tail-heavy mode! I managed to get it down in one piece, but the wind was too strong for a second test, so home I went to put in a brace to stop the battery from sliding so far back.

(Before anyone asks, yes, I had velcro on the battery, but it obviously wasn't secure enough.)

Tonight's first flight went utterly pear-shaped from the start. From launch, the Spitfire went straight up as though I was trying to loop it. It bottomed out about 18ins from the ground, and after that it was all over the sky. We trimmed it right down and I managed to get it back down on the ground. I checked the battery, and it hadn't shifted, but even with the motor throttled back it was wanting to climb. I'm sure the wind had a part to play in that, but it certainly wasn't helping.

After I added another 30g of nose weight, I tried again, and this flight was much better. The wind shifted her about a bit, but she was nowhere near as skittish as before. We still had the down-trim wound in, but this time it was much more manageable.

The consensus is that there's a warp in the tailplane, making the model want to climb the whole time. A look over the tailplane seems to confirm this.

I might have to try getting some lollypop sticks to try bracing the tail better, unless anyone can suggest something else?

The question is what position is the elevator after landing when it is trimmed out to fly level?

If it is down compared to the tail plane then apart from having an under camber tail which itself can induce odd speed characteristics the elevator is also putting a twisting  couple on the tail plane which can negate some of the effect of the down elevator. The result is the trim does not have the degree of effect it might have. It all comes down to the stiffness of the tail plane.

A plane can be said to be correctly in balance for CofG, wing/tail incidence and wing warp when after being trimmed for straight and level flight at a particular speed all the control surfaces are exactly inline with their fixed surfaces. ?  

11 hours ago, Simon Chaddock said:

The question is what position is the elevator after landing when it is trimmed out to fly level?

If it is down compared to the tail plane then apart from having an under camber tail which itself can induce odd speed characteristics the elevator is also putting a twisting  couple on the tail plane which can negate some of the effect of the down elevator. The result is the trim does not have the degree of effect it might have. It all comes down to the stiffness of the tail plane.

A plane can be said to be correctly in balance for CofG, wing/tail incidence and wing warp when after being trimmed for straight and level flight at a particular speed all the control surfaces are exactly inline with their fixed surfaces. ?  

The elevator is still down after landing.  I purposely used a thinner type of foam board (3mm instead of the 5mm I used for the fuselage) to try to keep the weight down, but I did use a coffee stirrer stick to try to stiff it up.  Something tells me that I should have used another one to keep the tailplane from warping.

Anyway, I wasn't sure if I was going to fly the Spit tonight, but fly it I did - and it was fine! No crazy tail-heavy shenanigans, no looping at launch, no porpoising, just straight and level from the off.

I couldn't add the spinner back on like I wanted to (it's too big for the prop, so the spinner won't sit properly on it), so added 10g under the cowling - and then put the lighter battery in it. I know it would have affected it, but it was honestly pretty good from the launch.

It needed some amount of trimming to the left, but I think I know what that issue is - the plastic keeper for the aileron horn went AWOL at some point, so I think the aileron was moving on its own every so often! But I got her back down in one piece after six or seven minutes.

There is definitely light at the end of this particular tunnel!

My third FT Spitfire got its first flight today. After chucking on about 40g of nose weight, and a lot of set-up issues (mainly due to unfamiliarity with the transmitter), we got a good few minutes in a rather stiff breeze. Then, once I landed it, I adjusted the elevator trim, and she was perfect. I even managed a pretty decent loop with her! (And that was my first with a big model!)

This is the best one yet!

291785211_10160010844328149_6461078235190704824_n.jpg

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

So, yesterday I attempted to fly the pink Spit for the first time after being painted.

It did not go well. 

The right-hand aileron servo wire parted company with the extension cable, and the model spun out of the sky!  Luckily I managed to chop the throttle so that it landed fairly softly in the long grass at the side of the airfield, but it necessitated a trip to the workshop/kitchen to get the cables reconnected.  

So, I tried again today, and she went up without a hitch!  Didn't do anything silly, but I only flew for a couple of minutes before bringing the Spitfire down again.  

Pink 2.jpg

Pink.jpg

• Like 3