Recommend a flat field electric glider

Hi there,

I haven’t posted for a while. COVID has meant that I haven’t touched my models for a year but I’m back with a vengeance!!! I hope all members are keeping well.

I’m looking for a good electric powered thermal soarer, any ideas? ATF and not too expensive. And a good performer. Something advanced is fine.

thanks and merry Christmas!

Good performer and advanced probably isn’t going to be in the ‘not too expensive’ category. Have you ever tried DLG’s. I bought a second hand one a few years ago and it has been a brilliant purchase. Hours of great flying fun in such a wide variety of flying places and good for a bit of general fitness too. Also not cheap but I have had every penny worth already and it’s as good as when I bought it. They are fantastic models to hone your stick skills on too.

Hi Nick,

What I really meant, was that it doesn't have to be a beginners model - I already fly. I flew gliders in my teens (thats how I learned to fly) and I haven't flown them since - 40 years ago!

So, I just fancied getting another. I had a Ripmax Pheonix (??) in my teens and that was great flyer, however, it didn't have ailerons and it didn't have electric power - I used to fly off a bungee.

I'm thinking £250-£300 if possible

Cheers

Edited By Rich too on 21/12/2020 10:35:54

If you don’t mind foam then I would recommend Multiplexes’ offerings. The Solius, or a Heron if you can stretch the budget that far. You can get them as kits then do your own fit out. Multiplex power sets are expensive but there are plenty of alternatives. I have a Solius and an Easyglider both are fine flyers. A club mate flies a Heron, probably the best foamie there is.

My I suggest that you build an Easter Eagle Senior.

The person who now flies mine tends to get two very,very long flights out of one battery.

Easy to build, masses of wing area, carries a Canon Compact camera is required.

82" span, 18" chord. Flies regularly when other glider pilots are comlaining "No lift" and going home

dscf3947.jpg

launch.jpg

shoulder arms comp.jpg

Going back to the ARTFs that Rich asked about, I'd second any Multiplex foamy but using other brand power trains. Even the Multiplex kits are quick and easy to assemble, my Cularis came that way and lasted me a good few years before I sold it on. I didn't like the Volante Phoenix that I had, I thought it poorly designed in several areas with nasty supplied servos and motor. I quite like the RocHobbies V-tail that I have now, halfway between the well designed and expensive Multiplex and the cheaper, poorly spec'd Volante.

If you want something quick to get in the air with a good performance have you considered the Multiplex Heron RR Rich? David Ashby wrote quite a glowing product review in RCM&E some while ago although I can't find the article on this site at the moment. Not what one might call a traditional 'floater' or a competition machine but he said that it thermaled very well and was a good product, as many on this site will attest.

Peter, it is on my build list - someday, when balsa is more plentiful!

Beat me to it Bob and JD-8!

Edited By Piers Bowlan on 21/12/2020 12:10:45

I've had great fun with the Volantex Phoenix 2.4m glider available from Banggood at around £150 here.

In the last 6 outings twice I have had to force it down at the end of a flight because it was reacting so well to lift.

Sure it is not as responsive to light thermals as a lightweight floater but it does not take much for it to stay up and even without lift the excellent glide ratio means you get a decent flight once you switch off the motor.

Edited By Colin Bernard on 21/12/2020 12:20:56

I'd also like to propose either the Multiplex Solius or Heron. I think the RR Heron is currently at 300 euros. In my club 7 members including me have or have had a Solius. Mine is now 7 years old and while a bit rough around the edges is still flying extremely well. 2 club members have the Heron which flies very well too and adds flaps to the equation.

Either model would be a solid choice in my opinion.

I have recently maidened the Multiplex Heron which I bought as a kit from Pegasus, a fair bit of faffing to put it together which utilizes CA glues. Not my favorite adhesive, but the Heron parts are great quality and it flies very well indeed. It climbs pretty fast and takes a while to come down on non thermal days.