Recommend a flat field electric glider

If Rich wants a model for windy days it needs to penetrate, no good having a floater (like a Gentle lady). Think MPX Solius or Heron - they glide well, thermal soar and can cope with strong winds too. I have a Radian XL as well John, it is a great floater but it is not great in a gale. If a model penetrates well in strong winds, chances are it will be aerobatic too. If on the other hand you want super low wing loading and a glider that will soar on a sparrow's fart, chances are it will be blown about like a paper bag in a gale - downwind! If you want a model that will do both you may have to buy something more exotic (expensive!).

Edited By Piers Bowlan on 21/12/2020 17:38:52

Posted by Piers Bowlan on 21/12/2020 17:37:35:

If Rich wants a model for windy days it needs to penetrate, no good having a floater (like a Gentle lady). Think MPX Solius or Heron - they glide well, thermal soar and can cope with strong winds too. I have a Radian XL as well John, it is a great floater but it is not great in a gale. If a model penetrates well in strong winds, chances are it will be aerobatic too. If on the other hand you want super low wing loading and a glider that will soar on a sparrow's fart, chances are it will be blown about like a paper bag in a gale - downwind! If you want a model that will do both you may have to buy something more exotic (expensive!).

Edited By Piers Bowlan on 21/12/2020 17:38:52

Exactly, we very rarely have calm days so it needs to be usable in windy conditions. I'm now thinking 100" or 2.5 meters span would be ideal.

I have been flying an Organic in club e-slot comps for quite a few years and won many with it. If it gets blown down wind I just put it into climb mode, flaps level and a lot of down trim. Mine is the 2.5m version. The Bingo is very similar with the same wing but a fatter fus. Don`t know where you would buy one now but got mine s/h for £150 and converted it from a glider with a glider drive motor from HK.

Posted by Rich too on 23/12/2020 06:46:41:

I’ve been doing too much research and not sticking to a strict budget !

I like this a lot

**LINK**

Definitely not sticking to a strict budget. Twice the price of the Albatross linked to earlier, but without the ESC motor and servos!

However, it does seem to be a diferent class of model aimed at the upper end of soaring performance so the price difference is justified. I wouldn't mind one of those myself, but I think you will need to take extra care of the wings and tail surfaces on the ground and in storage as such light weight usually comes at the expense of "knock resistance".

Don't let me put you off though - it looks good and handling with care soon becomes routine.

Dick

Rich,

I have done a couple of blogs this year, one of which was to electrify my old Capiche 140 and a refurb. However, the one that might interest you is one I did on FlyingGiants was electrifying and Extreme Flight 100 cc Extra 330SC. I did it there as there seems to be more interest in giant scale electrics and a receptiveness to try it. The link is below.

**LINK**

I must say she gives me a lot of fun and flies very well. Enjoy! laugh

I can recommend any of the Art Hobby gliders from T9 Hobbysports.

Fantastic fliers although there is some building to do they are worth it.

Don't worry if it says 'out of stock', they're made to order so they will be ordered then sent in a couple of weeks.

I have the Odyssey 2.7m pure glider which I launch on bungee but it's very versatile and an electric version is available.