Warbirds Replicas P51 Build

Jonathan S

Hello all,

Just unpacked the P51 Kit from Richard. I have just moved house so still in the process of setting up what will be my office / man cave so I can start the build.

Managed to rope Action Man in to help. He insisted on wearing his US Uniform (don't tell him it from the wrong era). As he knows more than me about building RC it is going to be be an experiance so expect lot of stupid questions from both of us.

Here is the first shot of the box and unpacking the Plans.

20201223_145519.jpg

I hope to get started between xmas and the new year with the wings. But family and Christmas will tell. Well Better check the instructions and re-read Paul's posts.

Jon

Edited By Jonathan S on 23/12/2020 15:05:31

OK Stupid question number 1 for instruction 1.

On the wing spars, I am supposed to look at the end and taking into account how the dihedral will be required and then mark top and bottom.

So I understand what Dihedral is basicly the wing going up from root to tip. but what am I looking for on the wing I thought it might be ovious when I get the bits out but cannot seem to see exactly what I am lookign for.

sorry probably not being smart.

Jon

HI Jonathan, The wide end of the spars is where you will see the taper that gives the dihedral ,if they are still on the sheet mark the 2 together 1 and 1 and the other pair 2and 2 then take them out of the sheet and if you are still in doubt lay them flat and bring the two pairs together at the centre they should form a wide V . Hope this is clear .

Eric .

Hi Jonathan , yes that is right, it may be the angle but the slots should all line up. If the laser cut has not went right through carefully take the pieces out have the part well supported if you are using a Stanley knife I use a fine razor saw to cut down the slot and after that it generally pops out

Eric.

OK I have go some of the left wing built and the right wing ribs 4 & 5 built (Just so I dont build 2 left wings)....

20201231_112535.jpg

I have stupid questions number 2 to do with the flap spars. I have test fitted them gently and realise you only need to glue the top bits but...

20201231_112756.jpg

Which ribs do you glue them to. Looking at how they fit ribs 3,4,5 have curved parts where the rib moves. Ribs 2 and 5 do not. So do I just glue the spars to 3,4,5 ?? if so what happens to the spar on rib 6 and 2. I have been looking at the photos on Paul's build and I am still not 100% clear. Thanks for your help.

dsc_0782[1297].jpgHi Jonathan, I don't know if Richard has contacted you about moving the thread to the Warbirds Mustang site that Paul Johnson is building on. if so I would strongly advize you do so as I almost missed your thread as I have not been on the forum till late on and I see no one has replied to you .as they tend to follow the thread of the original builder. In answer to your question the arrow shaped spar is glued at both ends flush with with the bottom of the ribs, you may need to remove a little off the arrow end to but against the rib and not over it. care must be taken against getting any glue on the curved parts of the ribs and riblets . the rear spar is glued to the curved riblets and rib ends that form the flap, DON'T glue the ends to the fixed ribs. I hope these photo's will help.dsc_0781[1295].jpg

So latest update -

Left wing is getting there. I test fitted the Flat spars and glued them in. the Hinge spar is glued to the ribs and the other Flap spar is glued to what are going to be the flap ribs. ( complicated no but took a few pic of other peoples build (thanks Eric) to work out what has happening.

Servo tray is now glueing (only tested fitted in the pic below). Aileron spar is currently only test fitted while I work out how R6 and R6A go togehter.

20210102_143130.jpg

In the meantime I have test fitted R4 &R5 from the right wing into the upper and lower wing spars. I had to do a bit of a quick swipe with some sandpaper and and file to get them to fit. Most of the issue is the slot in the rib is narrower than the spar is wide. but only a couple of swipes and we are ready to go.

Really enjoying the build, just need to build my understandign of building these wings and I would be flying along. Well at least the right wing will go together faster.

• 2 weeks later...

Ok well after a bit of a break back at the bench for the next couple of nights to press on with the wing.

So the ali spar is a bit short. Paul has documented a great fix. Using R6 as a template make an end bit to stick on to hold the spars. See pauls sketch here: Sketch

and the Post:

So with that cut out from and test fitted its now gluing.

20210111_204421.jpg

20210111_205912.jpg

While I wait for that to glue I have taken at look at R2 and how that goes together.

Glued in place R2F after looking at the cricket bat. Decided to clamp it to the R2 to keep in place while drying to ensure that it is correctly aligned with the Flap spar and F2. Tried to make sure no glue got between it and F2 or there will be trouble..... Guess I will find out tomorrow.

20210111_205909.jpg

While that dries I have made another R6 end copy to use with the next wing so hopefully that can fly togehter (haha)..

Hi Jon, not the end of the world, two options leave it as it is and when you glue the bottom sheet on let it overhang and trim it to the right size the add a piece to the end of the rib and sand it flush with the sheet. Or depending on the glue used it may loosen if you dampen it and you will be able to re position it in the right place.

Thats what I did, thought the space was enough but what it did was just mis align the riblet. Well learnt a valuable lesson....

I have dug out a couple of 1mm washers I will use for spacers on the next bits that need 1mm gaps.

On the next wing I am thinking I will use the leading edge and flap and ali spars to fully jig the ribs when I put in the main spar. Might ensure everything is at the right angle.

Learn on the job is the best way. laugh

Ok so progress is being made, not as fast as I might like but it give me time to stop think and re-read Pauls posts.
I now have 2 wings built to the same place.

20210119_212400.jpg

So just glueing in R6A and trying to get the 1mm space required. yes Also sanded down the aileron spars. They look to be flush with the ribs but maybe a bit of research here on the best way to check...

Also fixing R10 on the left hand wing as I broke that off. Going to make a small balsa support on the inboard side to support it

Other than that going to re-read the instructions and Pauls build to check when best to attach the horseshoe shaped retract spacers and maybe contact Richard to get the retracts. Next big job is sheeting to be honest this is and covering and shaping are the bits that worry me as they are not just stick part A to part B.....

Well lets see how it goes.