Warbirds Replicas P51 Build

Jonathan S

Some progress last night. Stuck in R1 on one of the wings. I used the bolt plates to ensure that the rib was aligned which is why it looks like it is hanging off in the first Photo. Well it is, I will stick in in properly tomorrow.

I Made sure that the Dihedral braces were the right sides to the Spar. One in the front one in the back. Nearly made a booboo and stuck them both on the front. But luckly I checked and double checked and we could now join the wings if we needed to... 20210126_214003.jpg

20210126_213944.jpg

I did some test fitting of how the wings are going to go together and Paul is absolutly correct (why am I surprised) that the Brace will need to be trimmed on the bottom to not foul the sheeting when the wings go together. I think I will cut some off now so later its just a sand to fit.

Might need to also widen the slot on R1 for the braces. I did test and fettle it before glueing it in but it needs a bit more. best to do it now save swearing later.

So next jobss:

• glue in other R1 fettle the braces and R1 so it all slots together.
  • Work out how to route the servo wires (or ask Paul laugh)
  • look at the flaps and the cricket bat, I am still not happy I understand how to place the cricket bat on the flap etc so I need to work through my plan with that.
  • Retracts arriving on Friday from RIchard so play with them.

Realised yesterday I had made a stupid mistake, I had glued the flap spar to the underside of the R7. Luckily have a very fine photo etched razor saw. I have cut the top off and positioned correctly.

Spent the weekend redecorating the office / man cave. Now to get on with the job I have been worried about sheeting. I will document my progress as a how not to guide. wink

• 3 weeks later...

So the top skins are on both wings.  One wing has most of the bottom skin on and I have stuck the aileron horn plate on and cut out the servo hole. 

Next steps post some pics. Finish the bottom sheet and cut out retract hole.  

I need to test the retracts and put them in.  Loads to do never any time... 

To make worry disappear , I remember in vivid detail the beach landing scene in Saving Private Ryan . I then imagine myself being born at the wrong time and ending up there . 

After that I would make a cup of tea , find a biscuit and approach the previously daunting task with a wonderful air of carefree, cavalier attitude . 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

So started cutting out the holes for the retracts.  

I did have bend one of the legs as per Eric's instructions as it was fouling the spar.  A small tweak in the vice and all was good.  

Next job finish the sheeting.  I thought that the top sheet was a bit oversized and the team confirmed so a little trim and hopefully all is good.  Remeasured the spar and aliron locations ready for final bottom sheet.  

Richards gadget for cutting the servo location worked a treat and in the pic you see the frame held in with pegs while it glues. 

Final push now before removing flaps etc. 

20210228_205355.jpg

20210228_205345.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Wheel Wells are nearly sheeted and the last of the wing has been sheeted.  

Next step finish the wheels and check the wheels can still retract then cut out the flaps. 

Must say one wing is better than the other but I am learning so the first go is trial and error the second time is usually better.  Maybe I should have alternated.   

I will post some pics over the weekend. 

Trevor looking fantastic.

I have spent the last couple of days Sheeting the wheel wells and getting everything ready to cut the wobbly bits out.  So as promised some photos. 

See if you can spot which wheel well I cut out using the circle cutter and the one I did free hand.  Well you live and learn and I am certainly learning on this one.

I am sure I could have done the wheel wells better if I was doing it again on a fresh model but what ever is next will be better.

Next steps cut out the wibbly wobbly bits on wing 2. Then stick on the leading edge. Then work out the flaps.  I hope to finish the wings by the end of March and start the Fuselage in April. 

ali.jpg

flap.jpg

sock.jpg

wheel well1.jpg

Wheel well2.jpg

wing.jpg

• 3 weeks later...