Messerschmitt P.1091

Second lockdown in Germany, a few free days at Christmas and the first time in the workshop since many months - I just had to have a quick build of a new model for 2021. Beneath preparing 1/12 drawings for the classic Bf 109 for FMT magazine including the H "Hoehenjaeger" version, I found out about some more exotic Messerschmitt projects. And beneath the chance to get small electric glider for daily flying, there's the possibility for an unusual warbird for formation flights with other 1/12 scale aircombat models.

The P.1091 was one of many German WWII projects that never got realized. Further development at Blohm&Voss lead to the Bv 155 and finally a flying example. But the need for an extreme high altitude fighter never materialised. Allied bombers flew below the projected height of around 12-15.000 meters. There's an interesting book, well researched and with many details including the P.1091.

Timo

01.jpg

02.jpg

Then came the request from Martin and a short discussion, preparation of the 1091 plans for him for PSS and everything was in place to have a built on my own. With many tools and materials still at unknown places due to moving last summer, it's also a good project because it's a simple plane and not much is needed. 50% of the parts are the same as for my 109 and 90% of building is identical, just a few ribs more to glue.

First task as always is to produce a kit with all the parts, cut out by hand with saw and cutter. I use paper templates for balsa parts. The template for the 1.5mm balsa wing skin is especially useful because it's also needed to mark rib and spar positions. Length comparison of 109 and 1091 fuselage template is impressive.

Timo

03.jpg

04.jpg

05.jpg

07.jpg

06.jpg

Edited By Timo Starkloff on 02/01/2021 20:23:07

And very important, checking the optics of the complete model

The looks are quite unusual. Weight will be low, there's a long fuselage and a wing with a ratio of 1/10, airfoil is AG35 for my model to be able to soar in thermals (SD6060 for the PSS version). What can go wrong? The tail is much increased in size bit still small. Hopefully vertical stabiliser size is enough and center of gravity is on the correct point for the first flights. A wing with a balsa spar is easy to build and the wing loading will be low, but if it's strong enough for all flying conditions will be interesting, too.

A small 180 Watt brushless motor, 20A ESC and 3S1300-1700 is planned for this model to keep weight low. Standard 109 with 85 cm wing span is possible with around 600 grams, so 800-900 grams should be possible for the P.1091 with 177 cm wing span and a length of 111 cm.

First flights are always interesting and this model will be no different,
Timo

26.jpg

27.jpg

Hello Martin!

I cut the parts last weekend and started building on Monday, nearly finished already

Maybe the wing spar of the PSS model should be doubled in size in the middle of the center wing or tapered, Martin. Low weight at the wing tips is important for good flying characteristics of all models. But with no motor/accumulator the PSS version should be fine with some reinforcements, depending on slope and wind conditions at hand.

Timo

I heard about that particular model only a year ago, John. But until reading the Bv155 book I never realised how much energy went into this high altitude project by Messerschmitt and Blohm & Voss. A complete waste of time. German fighters were competitive with Allied models but the lack of proper training seemed to be the biggest factor of loosing the air war, a factor which wasn't realised by German leaders.

https://airandspace.si.edu/collection-objects/blohm--voss-bv-155-v2/blohm--voss-bv-155-v2

https://www.secretprojects.co.uk/threads/secret-projects-of-the-luftwaffe-blohm-voss-bv-155-by-dan-sharp.32684/

Good result for us modellers is a big variety of types. The closest in size and shape would be the Westland Welkin, another exciting looking aeroplane

Timo

Edited By Timo Starkloff on 02/01/2021 20:57:42

Edited By Timo Starkloff on 02/01/2021 21:01:23

Edited By Timo Starkloff on 02/01/2021 21:02:23

I always thought about building a 1/12 Vickers Wellesley for the purpose of PSS, soaring and aircombat fun flying. But the advantage of the 1091 with using spinner, canopy and so many other parts from the standard 109 is too tempting. And then it is a widley unknown aeroplane.

Further detail work on reinforcing the tail (the weak point of the 109, not only because of flying characteristics) and preparing the cowling and motor mount. The cockpit gets a few details more than my contest models.

28.jpg

29.jpg

30.jpg

31.jpg

Aileron end is glued to the wing, aileron itself cutout later. It is a good reference for a pre-flight check if ailerons are straight. The other reason is the idea to prevent an early stall at the tip through aileron movements, but from experience with my standard 109s with different aileron shapes, there's no difference.

39.jpg

Holidays over and building slows down. But yesterday I received Oracover and servos, so there's something to do on the coming weekend.

But there was time to work on CAD for an update for the plan so Martin has less trouble with non fitting parts when building the PSS version.

Timo

p1091_stand 2021-01-08.jpg

Edited By Timo Starkloff on 08/01/2021 16:23:59

Edited By Timo Starkloff on 08/01/2021 16:27:48

The question remains to build Stufe II or III version. I would prefer the last one, but for gliding I would have to attach the radiators and air scoops with magnets for quick detachment.

The colours will be partly camouflage, partly metal and British markings. Similar to the different unfinished projects at the end of war which were test flown in Britain or America. In fact, the Bv 155, successor of the 1091, was presented in Britain to the public and is in America today, waiting for restauration.

Timo