Cocklebarrow Farm 2021?

When I lived in England I used to like to go to the vintage model fly-ins at Cocklebarrow Farm on the Oxfordshire-Gloucestershire border. Three events were held each year throughout the summer. I especially enjoyed the October Festival at the end of the flying season.

I realise that given the seriousness of the Covid 19 pandemic, all planning for 2021 must necessarily be provisional but does anybody know if these events are being planned for this year, if not, is there a contact who might have more information?

Best source of this info' should be the SAM35 calendar (just search for SAM35 - it takes you straight to their website). If you have anything left from your Christmas Postal Orders you can also buy one of their year books off the site - a small but worthwhile investment if you're particularly interested in vintage models.

• 3 months later...

Nothing on the site calendar for this year BUT in this month’s RCM&E Cocklebarrow Farm is showing as September 5th this year - clashing with Weston Park.  However, as I’d rather spend a day flying my oldies in the company of folk having a common interest in 35 ( or more ) years old designs I’ll give Weston Park a miss on the 5th - then it’s just a case of choosing between Weston Park & Much Marcle on the 4th ? - which comes down to which will have the better Bring and Buy?

Thanks Doctor, I did notice it on the "Events" section of this website. I hope to bring the Double Size Tomboy, Big Guff, once I've built a second fuselage and the Super 60 which my partner and I have built. I doubt that I'll have the time to finish the Uproar because my time is taken up with practising for La Coupe Des Barons. Footage of the 2017 event here:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IwWg0Ad5cKs

Please feel free to introduce yourself. I shall be driving a big old VW LT28.

Big Tomboy Latest Manifestation..jpg

Maiden Flight 3.jpg

Super 60 nearly finished..jpg

I have never been to Cocklebarrow , but an aircraft I"own "has !  It was built by Tom Payne  who flew it there, amongst many others including his multisized Tomboys  .Tom was a great fan of Cocklebarrow . He gave it to me shortly before he passed on , far to early, for he was a great modeller and friend .

It flew last weekend  3 times !!

thumbnail_Toms Quy 006 (Small).jpg

thumbnail_Toms Quy 007 (Small).jpg

14 minutes ago, Dave S. said:

I assume that my Astro Hog is old enough to fly there - the design is slightly older than I am even if the actual model isn't. It's a relatively local event for me.

I copied this from the "Events" section of this website. "All types of R/C up to 1969. Sport flying, no competitions."

Your Astro Hog dates from 1957 so it'll be fine.

13 minutes ago, David Davis said:

I copied this from the "Events" section of this website. "All types of R/C up to 1969. Sport flying, no competitions."

Your Astro Hog dates from 1957 so it'll be fine.

1969 seem positiveIy recent! I date from 1957 as well, so me & the Hog are a matched vintage pair!

21 hours ago, Dave S. said:

I assume that my Astro Hog is old enough to fly there - the design is slightly older than I am even if the actual model isn't. It's a relatively local event for me.

I've seen Astro Hogs flying there and they are definitely acceptable.

57 minutes ago, Alan H said:

I've seen Astro Hogs flying there and they are definitely acceptable.

Thanks, I'll have to get mine back in the air - bought second hand and found the wing mounting blocks are out of true. Shouldn't take long to release them.

• 3 months later...

I'm sure you'll be fine Steve.

I contacted the organiser to see whether I could fly on my French insurance, he said there'd be no trouble and I'm not a member of SAM 35 either.

I was planning to fly the Big Guff there this year but changes in my personal life have prevented it.

Maybe next year.

• 4 weeks later...

Made the trip to cocklebarrow today, 330 mile round trip, it's the first time for a long time and it's the only time I've ever flown there when there's been next to no wind, thermals in abundance and my southerner major dead sticked as I ran out of fuel that's a first for me. Lovely landing if I say it myself but that's always the way with dead sticks. It was the first time the os 52 surpass had been run for many years, probably around 10  so I was pleased it lasted, but that's always the way with OS isn't it.

• Like 2

420 mile round trip for me. 1st timer at Cocklebarrow and enjoyed the day. A week previous 'they' forecast rain. On the day it recorded 31C in the car.  (an ice-cream van would have done a roaring trade.) A very relaxed friendly atmosphere.

Took my Quaker Flash and at one point had trouble getting it down due a thermal lift. Both flights I also dead sticked which is very unusual with the QF.

Saw an Astro-Hog so presume it is Dav S's mentioned above.

Well attended, maybe because of the lack of meeting due to the pandemic, and need a bigger car park.

Big thanks to Tony Tamlin for organising it.

843017531_Cockle1.thumb.jpg.f8479126dc203fb230bdddc3f85011b9.jpg

610619262_Cockle2.thumb.jpg.7b7e33e4a22c48540bdb00bc0849e101.jpg

• Like 1

Steve' not sure if the Hog was yours. If yours was the only one there then it's got to be. ?

Did see one flying but not towing a glider.

I still have a Hog wing from one I built back in the 90's. Second flight I did a loop but it didn't pull out quick enough before the ground grabbed it. Decided that the CG was too far forward and elevator wasn't effective enough. May still build a new 'fuss' for the wing but will make sure CG is in the correct place if I do.

Are those all you models and if so how do you get them all in the car ?