Balancing jig

John  Tee

img_0014.jpgimg_0011.jpgHi,

Has anyone used this balancer jig please?.

It assembles easily but having trouble with deciding how to fit the scale markings to the arms. The instructions state - move the stops until they touch the central pivot and making sure the arm is level mark the arm. This equates to the 45mm position. Doing this as I read it means the scale overhangs the arm by some 40 mm. If I just stick the scale on the arm with the zero point (marked on the scale sticker) in line with the pivot point, the scale fits the arm and the 45mm mark aligns with the scale.

I don't want to keep sticking the scale on and removing it in case it tears or stretches.

Just a little bit confused.

John

edited for an omission

Edited By John Tee on 14/01/2021 17:20:18

Hi John

I have used one of these balances for years and it works well. I set it up as you describe, with the zero point in line with the pivot and it works fine as the scale then gives the correct distance from the leading edge to the CG position.

In use, the arms can stick a little and moving the adjustable weights does not have much effect. Try tapping the uprigths gently and the arms will then settle into a horizontal position. It just takes a little practice.

good luck

pete

Broken Pro. Thanks for that. it's what I thought but their method seemd a bit complicated. Have used cheap Jigs without too much success. Only tried to work on one leg at the moment and the vertical stop at the front is a bit loose on the bar. Shouldn't take too much sorting

Phil Green. I have made up a vanessa jig and it has worked well on my latest medium weight model but was very difficult on my much heavier P51 to get set up and instal the model on my own

Thanks for your replies.

John

• 1 month later...

I use both.

The Multiplex one is small and neat and I think the issue of how to “zero” the scale bars has been dealt with by Broken Prop.   It seems slightly counter-intuitive but the trick is, from memory, make sure that the measurements are from the main balance/hinge point.

A Vanessa is great but awful fiddly without a spacious man shed with a suitable fixing in the middle of the ceiling and a decent bench beneath.   The Multiplex can be used on the kitchen table, landing etc.   Something I found with the Vanessa was to buy a bike storage pulley from the Geordie Dating Agency (some of you know it better as Screwfix....Mods ... !) which makes the crucial lifting clear of the bench much easier, especially with a heavy plane.

Hope this helps.

BTC

• 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...