simple 3axis gyro(Flight controllers)

Basil

Hi, I am contemplating build an A/C that I am told is inclinded to pitch a liitle.

I am a novice flyer, that after reading references to these gyros , think they might help. What chance they would assist in eliminate some pitching allowing me to have an easier ride for a while.

If they are to be used, what is reccomened. Just to clarify , I am talking about those that are fitted between RX and servo, rather than integrated.

For Spektrum systems.

Thanks

Bas

I know that you said that you didn't want an integrated gyro but I use these in several models.

Lemon stabiliser plus receiver

You can turn them off or on from the transmitter, they have two stabilisation modes and the failsafe can be set to level the model and cut the throttle in case of signal loss. The degree of stabilisation can be adjusted for each surface individually.

They work very well and are £30

When you say inclined to pitch, do you mean it is sensitive in pitch? what model is it?

Getting back to flight controllers, are you looking for a simple unit that just dampen downs any un-commanded movement or are you looking for one that has self levelling ability etc. What receiver are you intending to use one with a serial output (SXRL) or just using connections from each servo output? There's a lot of choice and the more advanced ones often require hooking up to a computer to get the best out of them.

With Spektrum I would have thought that a Spektrum ASX type receiver would be the obvious choice, but if you just want s simple dampening one then the Orange/Lemon type with built in DSM2/DSMX receiver are worth looking at.

Posted by Frank Skilbeck on 18/01/2021 12:17:49:

When you say inclined to pitch, do you mean it is sensitive in pitch? what model is it?

Getting back to flight controllers, are you looking for a simple unit that just dampen downs any un-commanded movement or are you looking for one that has self levelling ability etc. What receiver are you intending to use one with a serial output (SXRL) or just using connections from each servo output? There's a lot of choice and the more advanced ones often require hooking up to a computer to get the best out of them.

With Spektrum I would have thought that a Spektrum ASX type receiver would be the obvious choice, but if you just want s simple dampening one then the Orange/Lemon type with built in DSM2/DSMX receiver are worth looking at.

The Lemon Stabiliser Plus receiver has both damping and self levelling abilities.

Frank, I am told due to its design the real AC and model both pitch a little. I am refering to the Auster AOP9. I am a novice flier and therfore I thought a gyro might help as I really want to build that model.

I know nothing about 'Uncommanded movment , SXRL.  I no very little about these Flight assist devices, hence my request. Thought an 'Inline' gadget might be best.My believe is 'Keep it simple' . Just plug and pay,( I know its not that simple, but along those lines.)

I think Shuan's suggestion is in line with my thinking.

Thank you both I will look at whats available as suggested. I'll get back to this thread after.

Bas

Edited By Basil on 18/01/2021 13:30:26

I use a ZOHD co pilot on a little wing 500mm span.I'm still a novice like your self it's saved me few times with it's recovery option that returns you to straight and level if you get in a panic or loose orientation .Around £35 including GPS for three flight modes and an option for return to home or geo fencing with a GPS fitted.

Posted by Basil on 18/01/2021 13:22:22:

Yep, agreed, I didn't realise that Lemon did a version with self levelling. If it's a smaller model the gyros do make them fly like a larger model, by compensating for wind turbulence causing the model to move (un-commanded movement), the other thing I find they are quite good at is taming the rudder on take off, helping if the model is prone to ground looping.

Posted by Frank Skilbeck on 18/01/2021 14:55:30:
Posted by Basil on 18/01/2021 13:22:22:

Yep, agreed, I didn't realise that Lemon did a version with self levelling. If it's a smaller model the gyros do make them fly like a larger model, by compensating for wind turbulence causing the model to move (un-commanded movement), the other thing I find they are quite good at is taming the rudder on take off, helping if the model is prone to ground looping.

I have a lemon stabilised receiver in a Hobbyking Slowpoke, if stabilisation is turned off it ground loops badly when you try to take off, turn it on and it tracks straight ahead

Try reading this thread, I'm using the Radiolink Byme stabs and they are not only cheap and very small but they work really well. The only downside is that they are not adjustable but i haven't found that to be an issue for what I want them for (yaw control on take off with stubby fuse models and experimenting with tail heavy models).

Stabilisers

Basil

I also use Lemon Stabilised receivers on my more extreme own design scale planes.

In 'rate' mode there is no true stabilisation only a reaction to counter any disturbance. There is no attempt to return the plane to its original attitude. As the gyro input is limited to about 15% control surface deflection full stick input is always available.

It makes a tricky plane easier to fly and with an easy to fly plane just don't leave it too long on its own - it will fly away. wink 2.

Thank everybody for your input. I have learned a lot by both reading the posts or examining the suggestions.

To reiterate, all I need is something to counteract the pitch , should it occur, any thing else is a bonus.

As an aside can some one expand on the Doctors statements about the use of digital servos , aren't basic servos any good with a stabiliser????

Bas