Seagull Chipmunk engine

Dave S.

Hi all, just taken delivery of an 80" Seagull Chipmunk and intend to get it put together soon - just need to finish the Wot 4 re-fit and Acrowot currently on the bench.

I would like to use a petrol engine for this - but not sure which one. The last (and only previous) model of this size I have had was a DHC 2 Beaver which I flew with an MVVS 26 petrol turning an 18x6 prop - it flew well but definitely wasn't over powered, so the suggestion in the destructions for the Chipmunk for a 20cc petrol strike me as potentially underpowered (thinking of safe take-offs from grass rather than aerobatics).

Would the OS GT33 fit and be a good match? It is only a little more expensive than the GT22. It's nearly 15 years since I last flew petrol, so the market has changed and I am not familiar with it.

Any suggestions on engine choice would be most welcome, though it has to be petrol - not glow at this size and most definitely not electric!

Thanks in advance.

That is interesting - last Laser engine I had was a 75 in an Acrowot sometime in the late 80s. The 180 glow looks idea, but I would rather go with a petrol if possible.

Good suggestion, thank you. Certainly not something I had considered. Let's see what else pops up!

Posted by Anthony Scott 2 on 21/01/2021 11:39:57:

I fly my SG Chipmunk from a grass strip. It is powered by an SC 120 4 stroke which is more than sufficient power.

Thank you, that's useful information. I reckon an OS GT22 should be on a par with an SC 120 4 stroke.

I have now removed the model from the box, looks very well built and covered (I'll send my daughter round to tell them if it's not as she lives in the same city as Seagull at the moment!). Bit of a struggle to fit the wings & fuselage into my very crowded modelling room as it has a desk, a wall-length workbench with Bandsaw, pillar drill & bench vice, four assorted models (not including the Chipmunk) plus a shelf full of kits, half a dozen bass guitars, bass amp and speaker and another shelf with a couple of hundred CDs…and somehow, I have to get in there and make things!

We recommend our 100 glow for this model.

Its not heavy at under 11lbs and the 100 offers more than enough performance for beyond scale performance. Many are choosing to fit 155's but the model performs more like an extra than a chipmunk.

If you are looking at petrol 2 stroke, 15cc would be plenty or perhaps a 20cc petrol 4 stroke.

Clearly its a preference thing, but i would try and find a 4 stroke for it (petrol or glow) as a tinny 2 stroke isnt really the right fit in my view.

Thank you, Jon, your advice is greatly appreciated. I don't like over-powered scale models, though they are less likely to cause a problem than an underpowered one, in my experience.

One reason I am biased towards petrol for this model is the cost, but more importantly, the availability of fuel. I used to be able to buy fuel from my local model shop, but that closed a few years ago, so now I am depending on there being some shows this year or driving quite a distance to get fuel.

I do prefer the sound of a four stroke, but the lower revving petrol engines with a decent silencer aren't too bad in my opinion - my Beaver didn't have that big radial sound (obviously) but it didn't sound too much like a flying chainsaw either.

Thanks again, all advice and opinions welcome.

You can get fuel shipped from modelshop leeds, kings lynn and a number of other shops. If you buy 4 gallons the shipping cost is not so bad when split between the 4 bottles. If you are only flying small ish engines 4 gallons will last a good long while.

My biggest moan about petrol is the smell. It gets everywhere and makes me sick. bleh face 21

I buy my glow fuel online and it is delivered by courier. It is faster, cheaper and more convenient than either driving to my nearest model shop or driving to a show and paying entry.

Glow engines are generally cheaper to buy than their petrol equivalents.

I'd want a four stroke engine in a Chipmunk in preference to any brand of petrol 2 stroke.

Must have been looking in the wrong places - I couldn't find anywhere that would deliver fuel. I'll have a look at the places suggested, thank you.

The smell of petrol is a good point, I have to keep my models in the house these days and petrol does reek a bit...

Glow ...Laser ...MSL couriered fuel ... Laser low oil mix ...; petrol; NOISE. No idea how much space there is in a Chippie cowl but my direct and observational experience of a 20cc petrol is that by the time you've got anywhere near 82dB, a decent glow 4 stroke wouldn't have cost much more. I remain to be convinced that you can lose the irritating "bark" from a 2 stroke petrol without either strangling it, or hanging a pound of cobbled together muffler from the outside of the plane. Smell.

Very frugal though.

BTC

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 years later...
On 21/01/2021 at 17:09, Anthony Scott 2 said:

I fly my SG Chipmunk from a grass strip. It is powered by an SC 120 4 stroke which is more than sufficient power.

Hello Anthony

Is your tank located at the standard factory location or did you cut the mounting area to lower the tank height?

I am mounting an Enya 120 and really not happy with the tank mounting height that is designed for Walbro equipped petrol engine or for mounting batteries in an electric version.

On the other hand cutting the tank mount is likely to weaken the firewall integrity.

Same question for Low Pass Pete since both of you are using more or less similar powerplants      

No worries Anthony thank you for taking time to reply. I assume that when you say bottom of the engine box, you mean the factory provided tank location? Or is it suspended from the factory tray? 

Or is the tank actually resting on the curved fuse bottom? 

Did you have to resort to some sort of surgery on the model to get the tank where you have it? 

Thank you

Edited by Manish Chandrayan

Perfect! That explains it quite well. Since the cut out is quite away from the firewall it leaves enough meat and will not seriously compromise the firewall strength (hope so). 

Have you encountered any iengine running ssues due to the distance from the engine? 

I am planning to use a Sullivan 14oz tank. 

Neat idea of installing a shelf to take the Just engines on board glow battery etc. 

Thank you once again. I will take the scalpel and get on with it.