SBUS Converter config.

I have a six servo wing on my "Inside F5J" glider. I am considering removing the wiring from the Rx to the wing and installing an SBUS converter into the wing, so reducing the connections between the Rx and wing to a single servo lead.

To do this will need six channels from an SBUS converter. There are a few 8cH converters around, but in common with this type of cheap device, there is little info about them. I would want to pick off the second set of eight channels, so leaving the usual channels to the functions within the fuselage.

Has anyone used a converter like this? Wondering how (if it can) to enable CH 9-16 to be ported to the outputs.

sbusconv.jpg

David - I'm pretty sure the one you have pictured is 8 channel only. I have a couple that are a slightly different design, but I haven't used them yet. They are listed by HobbyKing but are on back order, or at Banggood here. Try googling S2PW

This type output either channels 1 to 8 or 9 to 16, changeable by a push button on the board.

I bought these as I had the Frsky 4 channel ones, but they carry through the Sbus frame rate output by the RX, in my case an X8R, which is too high for analogue servos.It's not clear, but some sources claimed that these devices output a frame rate suitable for analogue servos. As I said, I haven't tried it.

David, thanks for the info. I had seen the version with a button. I wondered if the selection made by the button had to be made every time it is powered on. Reading the feedback on it, it is suggested that CH9-16 is either the default or that it is made the default by powering on with the button pressed.

As you say, the frame rate is another issue. I use analogue servos with digital servos, so that would be a stopper.

• 2 months later...
17 hours ago, peter1 said:

Hi, I have just purchased a Inside with 6 servo wing and am also considering SBUS options using Frsky Xr8. I tried the link in Chris Bott but it would not link. Further advice and suggestions please

Not sure what thread Chris was linking to Peter, but Frsky threads are here, if it helps. https://www.modelflying.co.uk/forums/index.php?/forum/76-frsky/

Peter - Your X8R will output all 16 channels on the Sbus output, so you just need a Frsky Sbus decoder in the wing (or two if you need more than 4 channels) and daisy chain them together. You will also need Frsky's little Sbus channel setting gizmo to set which channel numbers appear on which outputs on the decoders. The Sbus output from the XR8 is at 9ms (rather than the 20ms on the normal servo outputs) and the decoders just pass this through. Some (most?) analogue servos won't like this, so you should use digital servos with this setup.

Alternatively, just use a second receiver in the wing. You can 'parallel' two X8Rs (see Youtube etc for details), bind one as channels 1-8 and the second as channels 9-16, and set the channel assignments on the TX as you wish.

Thanks everyone I think I can sort out the Sbus now. Much appreciated.

My second concern is relating to the 8 servos and motor setup. What ESC and power supply should I use to cope with all the servos etc. Do I need to do / find another thread?

11 minutes ago, peter1 said:

Thanks everyone I think I can sort out the Sbus now. Much appreciated.

My second concern is relating to the 8 servos and motor setup. What ESC and power supply should I use to cope with all the servos etc. Do I need to do / find another thread?

Start a thread Peter, give what servo's and motor you're using, will attract more replies in a specific thread.