Article 16 and gliders

Ron Gray

7. How high can I fly?
The new regulations limit the operation of all unmanned aircraft to 400ft above the surface. However, our Authorisation permits members to fly above 400ft, subject to:

• The model aircraft is not a multi-rotor.
  • The model aircraft is not automated. (This means a model aircraft with autonomous or automatic flight capability. This does not include systems which are fitted for flight stabilisation purposes or flight termination purposes, such as free-flight termination devices).
  • The model aircraft in not operating with the Flight Restriction Zone of an aerodrome, other than with the written permission/agreement with the aerodrome.
  • The model aircraft remains within visual line of sight of the remote pilot.
  • The model aircraft has a MTOM below 7.5Kg.
  • Model gliders with a MTOM below 14Kg may be flown at a height of 400ft above the remote pilot (which if flying from a slope permits operation at heights exceeding 400ft from the surface beneath the glider).

Essentially any model aircraft below 7.5kg excluding multi-rotors and autonomous flying aircraft can fly above 400' from the ground beneath the aircraft also a glider below 14kg (between 7.5kg and 14kg) can also fly above 400' from the ground beneath it, but not more than 400' above the pilot.

Its primarily to cater for slope soaring with models between 7.5kg and 14kg.

So for flat field gliding (eg aero towed), gliders up to 14Kg are limited to 400ft?

However, our Authorisation permits members to fly above 400ft, subject to:

• Model gliders with a MTOM below 14Kg may be flown at a height of 400ft above the remote pilot (which if flying from a slope permits operation at heights exceeding 400ft from the surface beneath the glider).

Edited By Ron Gray on 22/01/2021 21:36:07

And this is from the CAA PDF

1. The mass of the model aircraft (MTOM- see section 3.6) shall not exceed 7.5Kg, with the exception of the circumstances in (e(i)) below;

i. The model aircraft is a glider, the mass (MTOM) of which does not exceed 14Kg. In this case, it may not be flown at a height greater than 120m above the remote pilot but may be flown at a height exceeding 120m above the surface directly beneath the glider.

Mind you, this is what the LMA have published

1. Height Limit

•  All models are limited to 400ft above the ground, except:

•  Fixed wing & single rotor helicopters up to

7.5kg MTOM - no height limit

•  Glider 7.5kg to 14kg MTOM - limited to

400ft above the pilot

Sorry Andy, I know you are trying to help and I appreciate that but as far as I can see the CAA are quite clear and make a specific point of separating gliders and they do not say that gliders up to 7.5Kg can fly above 400ft, they just state that all gliders ('The model aircraft is a glider) up to 14Kg cannot exceed 400ft (well they actually state 120m, why the change to metric for gliders is beyond me).

Edited By Ron Gray on 22/01/2021 21:47:04

Edited By Ron Gray on 22/01/2021 21:47:17

1. The mass of the model aircraft (MTOM- see section 3.6) shall not exceed 7.5Kg, with the exception of the circumstances in (e(i)) below;

The exception they refer to are model gliders

i. The model aircraft is a glider,

To me it would have been much clearer if it had said where the model was a glider over 7.5Kg but less than 14Kg

But hey, if the BMFA and LMA have interpreted it as you have stated above then fine, I can fly with a clear conscience! (well, when we will be allowed to fly again!!!!)

Edited By Ron Gray on 22/01/2021 21:59:27

Posted by Andy Symons - BMFA on 22/01/2021 21:37:58:

If the model aircraft (which includes gliders) has a MTOM below 7.5kg you can fly above 400'

also a pure glider with a MTOM up to 14kg can fly above 400' from the ground beneath it but not more than 400' above the pilot.

Gliders between 7.5kg and 14kg are limited to 400ft above the pilot.

Agreed, seems very clear to me. The only grey area is that there is no explicit definition of "glider" in section 7.1. I am sure it was intended to mean any unpowered aircraft (I.e. "Pure" gliders as per Andy's post above) but that isn't stated so where would a large (7.5-14kg) electric glider be classified in the eyes of the law if it came to court? In reality such a machine is no different to any other below 14kg in terms of risk to manned aviation, but we know that this exemption was designed for a very specific situation (unpowered slope models below 14kg). Not a show stopper, but perhaps something to consider cleaning up at the annual renewal.

Posted by Andy Symons - BMFA on 22/01/2021 21:30:13:

We are running the Article 16 webinar once again on 4th February if you want to join in. Link below to register

**LINK**

Can this be posted on YouTube afterwards Andy? Might help as a reference for future questions; there are going to be many more about the Art 16 authorisation well into the future (especially given most members are not actively flying at the moment). Many thanks.

Edited By MattyB on 23/01/2021 09:17:29

Posted by MattyB on 23/01/2021 09:16:28:
Posted by Andy Symons - BMFA on 22/01/2021 21:30:13:

We are running the Article 16 webinar once again on 4th February if you want to join in. Link below to register

**LINK**

Can this be posted on YouTube afterwards Andy? Might help as a reference for future questions; there are going to be many more about the Art 16 authorisation well into the future (especially given most members are not actively flying at the moment). Many thanks.

Edited By MattyB on 23/01/2021 09:17:29

It certainly can (as long as I remember to press record this time wink )