ESC Connectors from Hobbyking

Hi, I seen these on Hobbyking and decided to give then a try they are for connecting a brushless motor up to a ESC.

esc connecrtors.jpg

At 1st i thought they may not be reversible as i spotted in the connector what looked like it was keyed.

esc connector2.jpg

And you can see the pins are numbered 1,2,3.

esc connector3.jpg

But they are reversible which is great.

I just thought i would share it with you.

Steve

Posted by Dwain Dibley. on 24/01/2021 22:06:53:

Excellent.!! There are some XT60 Type in a triangle shape as well I noticed.

D.D.

Yes i spotted them a while back but when i went to buy / try some i come not find them but came across these (MR30-M) which i guess is for a 30 amp ESC and with the thicker gauge wire on the 40 Amp ESC was a bit of a squeeze but as you can see very neat and no need of heat shrink . Much tidier i think.

Steve

Posted by Trevor Crook on 24/01/2021 22:16:45:

Yes, I think the triangular ones are called MT60s. I've used them, very good. Useful for a twin with the escs in the fus. The triangular ones are not reversible, which is handy if you are plugging them together each time you assemble the model.

That is worth knowing thanks for posting.

I was lucky with the ones i got then.

As the MR30-M are reversible if the motor is going in the wrong direction it is easy to reverse and easy to mark one side with black marker pen so you can take apart and put back the same way if needed.

Steve.

Forgot to mention, there are also triangular MT-30s, which are very compact, but only accept fairly thin cable.

I managed to use heatshrink as well as the backshell on the MT-60s, but that will depend on the cable you use.

I got all of mine, together with cable and heatshrink, from The Component Shop. Very good source of connectors etc and quick service.

Interesting.... not sure I can really see why these are an improvement over 3 bullet connectors though? Are they easier to solder? I suppose you can anchor the connector in place with a tie down if needed slightly more easily than with 3 separate wires, but other than that... ?

Posted by MattyB on 25/01/2021 16:21:19:

Interesting.... not sure I can really see why these are an improvement over 3 bullet connectors though? Are they easier to solder? I suppose you can anchor the connector in place with a tie down if needed slightly more easily than with 3 separate wires, but other than that... ?

Pointless additional weight and bulk. At the very least if you have to make a hole to carry the wires through the firewall it will need to be larger. That junction is made once and, under normal circumstances, should not need making and breaking again, in normal operation.

Posted by Martin Harris - Moderator on 25/01/2021 19:42:23:
Posted by Geoff S on 25/01/2021 00:29:54:

They look excellent and even if you do happen to replace the connector the wrong way round it's not the end of the worsld.

Geoff

Maybe not the end of the world but it could spoil your day on a hand launch!

You mean you'd disconnect a motor/esc then reconnect without checking it was all OK? I do all that in the workshop - I'd never go into that sort of work at the field. Of course it's even more likely to be wrong if you had 3 separate bullet connectors

Geoff

Posted by Martin Harris - Moderator on 25/01/2021 21:44:25:

I hope I wouldn't Geoff but I do know one or two that might. Actually, I have to pick you up on that last point though - it's 50/50 in either case...

You're right, of course but it's perhaps easier to swap the 3-way around. I have on occasion attempted to swap connections and ended back where I started

Geoff