Ink Jet Printer

Gary Murphy 1

I used to use after market print cartridges in my Canon printer but after a couple of years the printer wouldn't print properly as it was gummed up with ink. I had it cleaned professionally but what I saved on the ink, I paid for on the cleaning, so after that I just bought the proper cartridges with no further problems.

Whatever you buy, make sure that compatible chipped cartridges are available, just search online.

I use Canon for documents and photographs, I have an A3+ for photos.

I use refillable cartridges with auto-reset chips, when the cartridge decides it is empty you just take it out, refill with ink and replace and the chips resets to full.

The trouble with OEM ink is the marketing model, printers are sold at close to cost price and the manufacturers make their money by overpricing the ink. Every new generation of printers has a different cartridge/chip, its an evolutionary arms race!

Posted by Guvnor on 28/01/2021 11:53:21:

Slightly ammused to see that as usual people want something for nothing.

Does it occur to anyone that the 'cheap' aftermarket print cartridges are cheap for a reason?

Yes, printer OEMs charge more for their chipped cartridges, and yes, they want to make a profit.

Part of their problem is that people buy the printer, stick cheapo cartridges in it then expect the OEM to sort out any issues under warranty caused by bad ink. Hence the chips.

In my experience some cheap cartridges can work OK, but the majority cause more problems than they solve, are usualy actually contain half the ink than a real one has, then cost more money in the long run.

No such thing as a free lunch...

Who is after a free lunch? A "non" Canon is £19 a Canon is £25, how is £19 a free lunch? When Tesco as them is stock they print to me just like Canon BUT I am printing "normal" home stuff NOT high quality photo`s.

If I want to run unbranded ink in my printer I paid for I should be able to without the thing making it hard for me.

I don't have to own brand oil in my car, if I put Halfords oil in my Bentley it wont tell me its wrong or cheap.

Printer ink is a con full stop. If their ink was so good and the so called "cheap free meal ones" rubbish no one would buy the unbranded BUT they DO because most people who don't need photo quality etc , see no difference.

Posted by Gary Murphy 1 on 28/01/2021 16:19:29:

Who is after a free lunch? A "non" Canon is £19 a Canon is £25, how is £19 a free lunch? When Tesco as them is stock they print to me just like Canon BUT I am printing "normal" home stuff NOT high quality photo`s.

If I want to run unbranded ink in my printer I paid for I should be able to without the thing making it hard for me.

I don't have to own brand oil in my car, if I put Halfords oil in my Bentley it wont tell me its wrong or cheap.

Printer ink is a con full stop. If their ink was so good and the so called "cheap free meal ones" rubbish no one would buy the unbranded BUT they DO because most people who don't need photo quality etc , see no difference.

You're missing the point.

Yes you can put any oil you like in your Ford or your Bently, that's your perogative.

But if you do, Ford or Bentley will void your warranty if it isn't the exact brand and type stipulated in the manuals - just as a printer manufacturer will when they find cheap ink in your printer...

The real point that people forget is that for years printer manufacturers have been in a race to the bottom to keep their printer costs down, then make the profits on the ink.

They protect this with chips to detect non-OEM ink.

And who can blame them?

Perhaps youd rather pay £500 for the printer and get the ink cheap?