Galaxy Models Mystic or Phoenix for a Laser 155.

I quite fancy a quick-build sports model for my Laser 155 and was considering either the Galaxy Models Mystic or their Phoenix.

Has anybody built either model?

What is the difference between the two? They look identical to me.

They're supposed to be suitable for a 120 four-stroke so I'm assuming that the 155 would be ok in this model.

I looked at the Warlock too but the twin fins put me off.

Your views are eagerly sought.

hello David,i built and flew the Mystic with a super tigre 90 in it.a big model at 75"....on the maiden the super tigre stopped and fearing the worst....but the model just floated around and even overshot the strip......an easy/quick build that is easy to fly...deffo recommend one..

ken anderson...ne...1..Mystic dept.

I had a Mystic with an ASP .91 2 Stroke which was perfectly adequate but a 1.08 would have been better. A laser 155 would be more than adequate.

It's not a hugely quick model whatever the power as the wing is quite thick so a 4 stroke makes a lot of sense. Maybe a 16x8 or 17x8 would be ideal.

Do follow the option of skinning the tail surfaces with 1/32" sheet if possible, it makes a huge difference.

I've had it confirmed by Tony at Pegasus Models that the Mystic is a taildragger while the Phoenix is a trike. Otherwise they are much the same. I do a fair bit of instructing on ARTF trainers and like the steerable nose wheel. Decisions decisions!

I suppose I'll have to count the number of 3.5" wheels I have in stock and then decide!

Both models are similar to the gangster 75 from Mick reeves and we have sold plenty of 150's for that and a mystic in the past. I always liked the look of the phoenix though and the idea of fitting it with trike retracts has always appealed...

Sigh, another model to add to the list of things to build one day.

Having slept on it I think I'll order a Mystic while Miss Blue Eyes and I live in seperate homes, me in France, her in Somerset. Then I can give her the old, "Oh that, I've had it for ages, just never got round to building it!" cheeky

I chose the Mystic over the Phoenix because it has a conventional two-wheeled undercarriage. When I return to England I will probably end up flying off a grass strip rather than the paved runway I have here and the taildragger set up may be more practical..

runway lourdouiex st pierre mac.jpg

That said, the power of a Laser 155 will soon get it airborne.

I'll cover the tail surfaces in 1/32" balsa as suggested. I still have some left over from building my Big Guff vintage model.

maiden flight.jpg

I'm thinking of finishing the Mystic in a spoof Soviet winter camouflage, red stars on white film.

I built a Firebird many years ago (smaller version similar to Magician) Great model.

Would recommend that you go for the fiberglass cowl option as the stock item is ABS which is not perfect choice in my opinion.

Great looking local runway by the way.  Where is that in France?

Cheers and happy building

Edited By Low pass Pete on 29/01/2021 07:10:51

Posted by Low pass Pete on 29/01/2021 07:09:42:

I built a Firebird many years ago (smaller version similar to Magician) Great model.

Would recommend that you go for the fiberglass cowl option as the stock item is ABS which is not perfect choice in my opinion.

Great looking local runway by the way. Where is that in France?

Cheers and happy building

Edited By Low pass Pete on 29/01/2021 07:10:51

Thanks for the tip Pete. The flying field is located between the villages of Lourdouiex St Pierre and Méasnes in the extreme north of La Creuse.

I was looking at the mystic again last night actually and it would make an excellent basis for a twin. Slap a 70 or 80 on each wing and it would be awesome! Another one for the list of models to build.

The 155 will be great and even if it was 16lbs it would go really well. Just remember to lower that tank as i suspect the engine will go in inverted?

Posted by Jon - Laser Engines on 29/01/2021 08:22:47:

I was looking at the mystic again last night actually and it would make an excellent basis for a twin. Slap a 70 or 80 on each wing and it would be awesome! Another one for the list of models to build.

The 155 will be great and even if it was 16lbs it would go really well. Just remember to lower that tank as i suspect the engine will go in inverted?

It's a classic design for sure. I think it is a sidewinder install.

Mmm, two Laser 80s.

Posted by Matt Carlton on 29/01/2021 11:26:38:

A twin, with round cowls, long nacelles, retracts and a nose like a Tigercat would be quite a model.

Interesting. I was thinking of gypsy style cowls similar to the DH comet but the nose on both aircraft is pretty similar.

Perhaps it could be a group build. Galaxy mystic multi mashup 2021? How many variations can we make? Who will be brave and fit a 3rd engine at the front?

It could be hilarious.

Maybe I'll let her choose the colour scheme once I've plucked up the courage to tell her that I've bought the Mystic. She's generally very supportive of my involvement in the hobby. She wants to learn both how to build and how to fly.

She's done alright so far.

miss blue eyes reluctantly poses.jpg

miss blue eyes gets on with it 1.jpg

PS. When I looked at Pegasus Models website yesterday there were four Mystics in stock. Now there are only two!  Someone else must have been tempted!

Edited By David Davis on 29/01/2021 14:50:46