Galaxy Models Mystic or Phoenix for a Laser 155.

On 27/11/2023 at 12:52, David Davis said:

I am going to give the cowlings to a bloke in the club who is the panelbeater with the local Volkswagen agency!

Hi Dave . Ask your mate if he can spray the cowl with single stage 2k paint. If painted with base and clear the base coat can be attacked on edges by glow fuel residue then bubbles and lifts slowly creeping underand lifting the fuel proof clearcoat. Ask me how I know? Water based base coats may be ok but polyester just melts with glowfuel (methanol) . 

Edited by Engine Doctor

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
Posted (edited)

Yesterday I hinged the rudder and elevator to the model. I used large Kavan pinned hinges and for the first time I used De Luxe Materials Superphatic glue as the adhesive. I had been impressed by the quality of this glue when building a wing for my Baron which featured depron wing ribs, also a first for me. Previously I had always used epoxy as the glue for hinges and I'd always applied some form of grease to the pivot before applying the glue. I usually used butter for this purpose! As Superphatic is a water based glue I did not bother with greasing the pivot. I placed five spots of Superphatic on each side of one leaf of each hinge. These were then inserted into the tailplane. Five more spots on each side of the other leaf then I fitted the elevator. I did the same with the rudder. By yesterday evening I was able to lift the model and wag it about holding on to the rudder and elevator! Thats without any pins or cocktail sticks. Note the usual immaculately tidy workshop!

Having turned 76 earlier in the month I have decided to treat myself and the model to a white GRP undercarriage from Carbon Copy.

Elevator and rudder hinged.JPG

New glues.JPG

Edited by David Davis
  • Like 1