Galaxy Models Mystic or Phoenix for a Laser 155.

I am currently building the Mystic's tail surfaces. As I shall be fitting a Laser 155 I will follow the advice in the instructions and sheet the tailplane but I have two questions for you knowledgeable gentlemen.

1. The instructions suggest using 1/16" sheet for the tail but Matt Carlton sheeted his tailplane with 1/32" balsa. I have some 1mm balsa left over from building the Big Guff which I really do not have another use for. This is about 1/25." Could I use this wood to sheet the tailplane?
  2. The instructions refer to the tailplane being sheeted in 1/16" balsa. Would "tailplane" include the fin as well as the horizontal stabiliser?

I opted to use the 1mm thick balsa left over from the Big Guff build to sheet the tailplane. It's certainly produced a very rigid structure.

One question for those who have built a Mystic. In the instructions it recommends that the "tailplane" be sheeted with 1/16" balsa.

Do you think that the word "tailplane" incorporates the fin and rudder too?

Picture of the part-sheeted tailpane below. 

Tailplane.JPG

I'd imagine so. I cannot see any reason why you would want to sheet the tailplane and then leave the fin as an open structure.

Are the controls solid sheet or are they also built up? If you have solid wood controls supplied, they may be too thin to match.

I may be biased - I make all my tail surfaces using a sheeted framework. Avoids having to find nice, light, and flat, bits of quarter grain wood; end result is lighter than solid and just as stiff.

Edited by Nigel R
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...

Having taken the dog for her morning walk, twice around the footall pitch, and fed her her breakfast, we planed the cockpit sides of the Galaxy Models Mystic first thing this morning using the David's plane.

The tail surfaces are covered in 1/32" balsa sheet except for the rudder where I had to use 1/16" sheet well sanded down because I'd run out of 1/32"! The kit builds in to an extremely robust model. I have sometimes found it difficult to identify some of the numbered parts. Is that a 20,  26 or 28 for example? However being a fairly experienced builder I have managed to work out what goes where.

The basic structure of the fuselage is now virtually complete but further sanding is required.

DSC01810.JPG

DSC01812.JPG

• 4 weeks later...

I have been getting on with the wings of the Mystic. It's been sometime since I've built a foam wing and the previous one only had one centrally mounted servo. On this model I'm going to have one in each wing. I have scooped out a hole for the servo in one of the wings and I intend to line it in 1/8" (3mm) balsa. I'm unsure about how to fit the cables to the servo. Should I,

(a) cut a rectanglar groove in the underside of the wing thick enough to allow for the cable and the connector. Then cover it with balsa sanded down to match the wing profile, or...

(b) sharpen a tube and cut a tunnel through the foam to the location of the servo.

Aileron servo location.JPG

Hi David,

Looking good.

Regarding holes for the cables, I heat up a nice piece of metal (I have an old rotisserie skewer), line it up from the pocket to the wing root, take  deep breath and push! Once you have a hole that comes out in the right place, ease it open so you can pull through the extension cable. 

Piece of cake!

Graham

• 2 weeks later...

Having bought the 150v a couple of months back I looked around for a suitable ‘home’ for it and having looked at countless plans for a scratch build I just kept coming back to the Mystic. It fits the (my) requirements of low wing, narrow fuselage, long(ish) nose and maybe even an open cockpit.

3 hours ago, Jon - Laser Engines said:

I keep looking at this thread and cant shake the idea i posted on the first page about making one into a twin. That or nailing one of the new inline engines on the front. 

So many choices. Its looking great though DD

Or nail 2 fuselages together with a new centre section, and have a twin inline configuration, F82 style. Won’t see many of they.