Don't test fly on a windy day - you'll probably regret it!

As you will know by now I have been flying from a very large beach, all be it years ago.

Nice flat firm beach sand when damp, and shire line parrallel with the hills behind, for the most part, all facing to the west.

Nice long take off run and gentle climb out. Same for landing.

Being westerly the wind was mainly on shore off the sea.

The hills where great for s/soaring. Heaven.

Anyway I one day chose to fly the 4 channel shadow from the beach. There was an off shore breeze that day.

I tend to watch what the weather is doing as well as the birds, the feathered variety.

When an off shore breeze I have seen mist falling down the hills swirling and swirling, so you cannot say I didn't know this.

If there is no mist and an off shore breeze, the "air" would behave in the same way, only I could not see the air.

I took off no problems but doing circuits the model flew completely differently, in the mushed up air.

It was struggling a bit, which I did not like, so landed all ok.

I never flew from the beach in an off shore breeze again.

On shore breeze, air laminar and rising due to slope/hill, all good.

Off shore breeze, air mushed up and swirling, one side of swirl downdraft, the other side of the "rolling air wave" up draft.

The mist on the mountain across the valley rolls down the hill and falls swirling into the large Cwm, where the helicopters practise.

I think this weather feature has caught out real aircraft, sorry full sized aircraft in America due to the Rocky mountains behind California, and elsewhere ?

Edited By Rich Griff on 31/01/2021 17:42:19

• 3 months later...