90mm EDF problem

Steve Balaam

I'm having a problem with a 90mm EDF unit mounted in a Jepe Foamy F-18

I'm hoping somebody may be able to help please.

I'm running an E-Jets fan with a Typhoon 700-60-2085KV motor on a good quality 6S LiPo. The combination should be drawing in the region of 100 Amps but I'm only measuring approx 50 Amps at best. Also, the WattMeter reading is fluctuating quite wildly. I've changed the old motor to the new one above with no difference. I've tried two YEP 100A ESCs and now a 150A Yep ESC with the same results. I've thought about cutting some cheater holes for air but not convinced that's the problem. Any help would be appreciated.

Many thanks

Steve B

Steve

Is it just the Watt meter reading fluctuating or is the fan speed fluctuating as well? If it is only the Watt meter readings then the meter is faulty.

If the motor is ok then any form of mechanical restriction (bearing or fan rubbing) the amps would be greater than expected not less.

So either the motor is not getting the required power or it is unable to accept the required power.

If you have changed the ESCs then the probability is the problem is either the transmitter is not sending the correct signal or the electricity is not getting from the ESC to the motor or the motor itself is faulty.

I suggest you remove the radio completely from the equation and run the EDF using a servo tester. You may have to provide it with a 5V supply unless the ESC has a BEC.

If the problem persists then you are down to either the wiring or the motor is faulty.

I hope this helps.

Hi Guys

Thank's for your responses most appreciated.

Reading through the possible culprits I suspect that the Watt Meter (A new Toolkit RC item) may be at fault, I have another new one to try.

I also have a new complete fan unit from Turbines-RC which I haven't run yet. I shall go through all the possibles listed in your replies and hopefully will get to the root cause.

Nobodies mentioned cheater holes, how do you know when they're needed?

Steve B

I am not familiar with the YEP ESC but have used some YGE ones which the YEP are cloned from and the YGE ESCs often come set in helicopter governor mode so will not run up properly and get to about half throttle and no further. I have had to set them up to acro mode using the programming card. No idea if I am talking nonsense for the YEPs but if you have not used it before, it is worth checking.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...