Radiomaster

Outrunner

Posted by Keith Berriman on 02/02/2021 14:13:36:

Just of topic a little I am long time Hitec user and looking to upgrade to Radiomaster in case of failure of Tx

have 8 Rx in various planes My problem is I am mode 1 and most web adds show mode two set up and not sure if anybody has changed the sticks over and is it an easy operation ??

Hi Keith. Apparently you swap the gimbals over Bill Clark shows how on his YouTube video.

I'm a refuge from Hitec too, my Aurora 9 still works fine but as a backup I've got myself a Radiomaster TX16s and so far I'm impressed.

Phil.

Posted by Gary Manuel on 02/02/2021 13:41:35:

Hi MattyB.

My ears pricked up when you mentioned cloning your RF ID. Presumably, that means that both transmitters can now control all of your receivers. Is this a good idea? Hopefully, you haven't sold your old tranny to a club member.

It only works with Frsky, and no I've not sold my old TX. It's important to note that this isn't a true "cloning" - the MPM always retains it's own ID alongside the "cloned" one, and you can select which is used on a per model basis.

Here's how it works... You put the original TX into bind mode in either Frsky D16 or D8 mode, then make the MPM into a mode where it is effectively a receiver. Pressing bind on that TX allows it to record the ID of the "donor" TX, then that can be used with any models you've already bound up to the old Tx and don't want to rebind. You select this as an alternative protocol (for instance there is a D8 that uses the MPM ID and a D8 cloned that uses the donors). This allows you to bind any new models/receivers with the MPM's ID on any of the available protocols you want.

What I haven't tested yet are the following:

1. Can you freshly bind a D8/D16 RX using the cloned ID from the "donor" TX, rather than just being able to operate RXs that were already bound to the donor?
  2. If you can do 1, is it possible to remove the cloned ID from the MPM (for instance if you want to sell on the TX)?

If 1 is yes I am hoping that 2 will be also be a yes, probably by updating the MPM and/or OpenTX firmware before sale, or perhaps even by simply deleting all the model files and uploading a fresh (blank) one to the TX.  I will do some tests and make a short video on what I find...

Edited By MattyB on 02/02/2021 15:26:02

Posted by Keith Berriman on 02/02/2021 15:40:42:

Thanks for the Link Outrunner on Bill Clarks video and only watched half and thought doing that to a new Tx could invalidate any warranty. I tried the UK agents Quadcopters and they only import Mode 2

Opening up a TX does not invalidate the warranty, it is expected behaviour; they are designed to be tweaked for the users tastes. Moving the sticks around is really no big deal, but if you really don't want to do it you may be able to get someone like HobbyRC to do it for you for a small fee.

Posted by MattyB on 02/02/2021 15:22:14:

Hi MattyB.

My ears pricked up when you mentioned cloning your RF ID. Presumably, that means that both transmitters can now control all of your receivers. Is this a good idea? Hopefully, you haven't sold your old tranny to a club member.

It only works with Frsky, and no I've not sold my old TX. It's important to note that this isn't a true "cloning" - the MPM always retains it's own ID alongside the "cloned" one, and you can select which is used on a per model basis.

Here's how it works... You put the original TX into bind mode in either Frsky D16 or D8 mode, then make the MPM into a mode where it is effectively a receiver. Pressing bind on that TX allows it to record the ID of the "donor" TX, then that can be used with any models you've already bound up to the old Tx and don't want to rebind. You select this as an alternative protocol (for instance there is a D8 that uses the MPM ID and a D8 cloned that uses the donors). This allows you to bind any new models/receivers with the MPM's ID on any of the available protocols you want.

Hmm. I'm not sure whether that's a good idea - unless the model receiver is so deeply embedded that you can't access it to re-bind. I'll stick to re-binding all my receivers to a transmitter with a unique ID.

Posted by Gary Manuel on 02/02/2021 17:14:10:
Posted by MattyB on 02/02/2021 15:22:14:

Hi MattyB.

It only works with Frsky, and no I've not sold my old TX. It's important to note that this isn't a true "cloning" - the MPM always retains it's own ID alongside the "cloned" one, and you can select which is used on a per model basis.

Hmm. I'm not sure whether that's a good idea - unless the model receiver is so deeply embedded that you can't access it to re-bind. I'll stick to re-binding all my receivers to a transmitter with a unique ID.

I did it more as an experiment than anything else, as if I decide to move from the Taranis to the Radiomaster as my primary fixed wing radio (retaining the Taranis for quads only) I would have to rebind a huge number of RXs, many of which are in horrible positions in my gliders. Once I have the results of my experiments I will post them up here for reference (I've also asked this question in the MPM thread on RCGroups to see if the project lead can clarify); he has already indicated a method of clearing the cloned ID for an external module.

Edited By MattyB on 03/02/2021 10:15:21

Posted by Outrunner on 02/02/2021 14:32:02:
Posted by Keith Berriman on 02/02/2021 14:13:36:

Just of topic a little I am long time Hitec user and looking to upgrade to Radiomaster in case of failure of Tx

have 8 Rx in various planes My problem is I am mode 1 and most web adds show mode two set up and not sure if anybody has changed the sticks over and is it an easy operation ??

Hi Keith. Apparently you swap the gimbals over Bill Clark shows how on his YouTube video.

I'm a refuge from Hitec too, my Aurora 9 still works fine but as a backup I've got myself a Radiomaster TX16s and so far I'm impressed.

Phil.

Keith, I just watched that video on changing stick mode from Bill Clark and noticed something...

In early TX16s the gimbals were apparently asymmetric - only one had ratchet and throttle tension bars - but both the gimbals in that video have them. That means there is no need to swap the sticks after all! All you need to do is open up the back, relax the tension and ratchet on the LH stick, tighten the same adjusments on the RH stick, swap one screw (see below for guidance on this) and change the stick mode in software. A poster in the comments has validated this can be done...

"Thanks for this video. I've just opened my radio up to do this mod, and found it has friction plates on each gimbal, as your set does. In other videos I've watched, only one gimbal has the friction plates. It looks to me that by just swapping a screw from one gimbal to the other, then perhaps adjusting the friction plates and the spring tensions if needed, the set can be changed to mode 1 without removing the gimbals. The screw I'm referring to is in the centre of the spring tension mechanism.

Edit: it worked. Looks like Radiomaster provided a way to change modes without swapping the gimbals."

Give HobbyRC another call and check, but this should mean changing mode can be done in a few mins without any major internal works. The only caveat would be that there might be a difference between the cheaper (non-Hall effect) gimbals that I have on my SE and the better ones on the other models. Happy to crack open my TX and take a photo if it helps.

Edited By MattyB on 03/02/2021 11:10:22

Posted by Keith Berriman on 03/02/2021 15:47:40:

Hi all spoke to Hobby RC and had chat about the tx options I need to buy the £128 unit to cover my needs and match to Hitec Rx. I still have to open the back and do some changes. Should have asked if they could get mode 1 on there next batch.

Hi Keith. Just a quick correction, the Hitec system uses the CC2500 chipset so you can actually bind up your RXs even using the cheapest TX16SE model. I just checked this on my TX, Hitec is clearly a selectable option. Obviously you do lose the Gall effect gimbals and the abilty to bind up DSM2/X RXs (plus lots of more obscure protocols too), but that may not bother you - I have no use for them so went with this option.

• 2 weeks later...
On 01/02/2021 at 14:44, Outrunner said:

MattyB. Thank you for clarifying the DSM2 issue, very nicely explained. Hopefully that issue can be put to bed now.

Nice comprehensive list of Radiomaster resources, keep them coming.

Has anyone tried the Radiomaster Tx12? Smaller than the average transmitter but a good size for putting in a backpack and going down the park or up a big slope.

Phil.

Yes, I've bought a TX12 and I am very pleased with it.

It's about 2/3rds the size of my Futaba14SG and half the weight but it is very solidly built and is great to handle.

The layout is nearly identical to the 14SG apart from the rotary knobs which I don't use anyway, I find the side sliders much better.

I have bound my S-FHSS receivers to it once I realised they needed a slight Frequency Tune tweak.

Interestingly I had half a dozen Corona receivers in a drawer from about 8 years ago which I used to use with a plug in TX module in my FC-18, but they bound very easily and so they now have a new lease of life with the TX12.

It's a lovely little TX which I will use to fly half a dozen different models ranging from the Alula to the Cularis and it will make the trek to the slope and cliff launch points much easier. The TX12 and the Alula in their boxes in my rucksack will make ideal companions when out for a walk in the hills and along the coast.

Recommended purchase and not at all bad value for £51 including postage!

• 3 weeks later...

I am new to RadioMaster and OpenTX and while searching for on-line help and advice, I came across the link in this thread to Bill Clark's YouTube channel, Triple M Adventures.

He has an amazing number of videos neatly categorised into nicely labelled playlists. These cover RadioMaster TX16S, TX12, Open TX, Jumper T16 and Firmware Updates to name just a few. The ones that I have looked at so far have helped me no end and if you have any queries, just post them under the video and you will get an answer the next day!

Well worth a look !  https://www.youtube.com/c/triplemadventures/playlists

Edited by Eric Friend 1

On 02/02/2021 at 17:14, Gary Manuel said:

This is a bit of a toss up. In actual fact, the MPM is NOT guaranteed to have a different ID from an official FrSky Tx/module. In fact, you can't be absolutely certain that all MPMs have different IDs.

Because of that, you may be better off cloning an official FrSky ID you have on another Tx/module so you are guaranteed to have a different ID from everybody else, just don't use your cloned Tx at the same time!

Mike

So we are back to Frsky V1 when they just used random IDs and there was a possibility of the same transmitter modules having the same ID. Sort of makes you want to have a transmitter that doesn't have a cloned option. I know it is very unlikely but who is responsible if there is an accidental shoot down when one flier is using a MPM module/Tx the MPM user or the 2nd person to switch on?

Mike, the very first Frsky modules (long before they got into transmitters) apparently just had a random number ID, there was a case in New Zealand where they actually had a clash and it was proven. Frsky then introduced a new system that wasn't backwardly compatible. I know at the time there were a few of use using modules so we did tests to make sure we weren't going to clash. It was the early days and apparently the ID number wasn't that long and sales were so good that the numbers kept on being reallocated. The chance of it happening was very low, but it did happen. It goes back to 2010, here's a couple of threads on it https://rcmf.co.uk/4um/index.php/topic,77362.msg873918.html#msg873918 and https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?1348270-WARNING-Random-GUID-can-interfere-FrSky-crashed

Now if you are a Frsky owner then transferring your ID from your TX should avoid this, but if you just bought a MPM module/Tx how do you know that the ID number it uses doesn't clash with any other MPM system (from a different manufacturer) or a native Tx. Maybe not a problem at your regular flying site, but if you were at a fly-in then how would you check.

Edited by Frank Skilbeck

For the STM CPU based MPMs, the ID is generated from the unique ID of the STM chip, so the hardware manufacturer doesn't matter. The STM ID is a 96-bit value, based on (among other items) the batch number, wafer number and wafer x-y coordinates. The 96-bit value is treated as 3, 32-bit values and these are XORed together to give the ID for the MPM that is used for most protocols, including FrSky. I believe the ID used for DSM protocols is obtained from the Cypress RF chip unique ID, so this should be globally unique.

You can't know that your MPM ID (from the STM ID) is different from all other MPMs. Perhaps we should, at least, get the MPM to report the ID is has to the system firmware and display it so it would make it easy to check with anyone else with a MPM, less easy to check with an official ID from, say, FrSky, but you could clone a FrSky ID you already have.

The older, AVR processor based MPMs just used a random number as the ID.

Mike

Edited by Mike Blandford

I'm now a member of the open tx club...bought a radiomaster T16s from hobby RC(great service from Mike and his team)... a lot of it is alien to me been a Futaba and then a Hitec user,but after a couple of days the basics are sinking in.the Tx i would say is great value for the price.......watch this space....i hear you think.

ken anderson...ne...1...Open TX Dept.

Ken, 2.3.9 is the open TX firmware, the latest is 2.3.11. The MPM internal module has its own firmware and the first time I used mine it advised to update to the latest level so I did. I think it is now 1.3.2.12

I don't know if I needed to update to the latest open TX but since it was a new transmitter I thought it would be good to start at the latest level, good way to get to grips with open TX too.

I followed this guide to do the updates  https://www.radiomaster.nl/how-to-update-opentx-on-radiomaster-tx16s/

Phil

• Like 1