Radiomaster

Outrunner

Hi Ken. I'm happy that you are happy! I too found updating Open Tx a faff as well, but it worked, the MPM module update was much easier. Hopefully Open Tx 2.4.x will arrive soon and the touchscreen will be enabled. I find the TX16s navigation using buttons and the scroll wheel a faff, my Hitec Aurora touchscreen is so much nicer to use.

Take care

Phil.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Outrunner said:

Hi Ken. I'm happy that you are happy! I too found updating Open Tx a faff as well, but it worked, the MPM module update was much easier. Hopefully Open Tx 2.4.x will arrive soon and the touchscreen will be enabled. I find the TX16s navigation using buttons and the scroll wheel a faff, my Hitec Aurora touchscreen is so much nicer to use.

Take care

Phil.

Doesn't look like it. I believe the main programmer is now working for FrSky on the Ethos software. Its probably got to the stage that OpenTX has got as far as it needs to go, and unless someone else comes onto the scene it won't ever get beyond 2.3.12.

24 minutes ago, Andy48 said:

Doesn't look like it. I believe the main programmer is now working for FrSky on the Ethos software. Its probably got to the stage that OpenTX has got as far as it needs to go, and unless someone else comes onto the scene it won't ever get beyond 2.3.12.

So Open TX is dead in the water ? Hopefully that won't happen, surely the project doesn't depend on one person?

Phil

14 minutes ago, Outrunner said:

So Open TX is dead in the water ? Hopefully that won't happen, surely the project doesn't depend on one person?

Phil

Well I wouldn't call it dead in the water. I'd call it a good end product that has managed to encompass many more of it's users requirements than any other product of it's type. 

Ok, but if you look at the open issues there doesn't seem to be much in the pipeline, and there are a good number of stale issues that have now been closed. I think Otx is now basically at the minor bug catching stage and it is pretty well in its finished state.

7 hours ago, Andy48 said:

Ok, but if you look at the open issues there doesn't seem to be much in the pipeline, and there are a good number of stale issues that have now been closed. I think Otx is now basically at the minor bug catching stage and it is pretty well in its finished state.

I think there is some truth in that, and Bertrand taking the gig with Frsky does seem to have had an effect, but I don’t think OpenTX as dead. It’s just reached a point where 99.999% of people can get what they need from it in a variety of current hardware, so feature development has slowed. I still expect the touch screen 2.4 version will come though, as the likes of Radiomaster and Jumper want and need it. If the OTX team slow one or both of those companies will most likely provide resources to finish it.

Here's what I think.

I'm up to OpenTX 2.3.5. and haven't bothered updating beyond because the more recent updates appear to be for features that don't affect me.

My Horus doesn't have touch screen (thank God cos of my shaky hands and dodgy eyes) so any major update won't interest me. A major update like adding support for touch screen is likely to introduce a surge in the number of minor updates, which also don't affect me, but may introduce errors which do. So what's the point of extending support of a very near perfect operating system to incorporate a major change in hardware. 

I say let OpenTX rest, with the possibility of the occasional critical update when needed and when developers have the time. 

Maybe we'll see OpenEthosTX in the not too distant future?

11 hours ago, Gary Manuel said:

Here's what I think.

I'm up to OpenTX 2.3.5. and haven't bothered updating beyond because the more recent updates appear to be for features that don't affect me.

My Horus doesn't have touch screen (thank God cos of my shaky hands and dodgy eyes) so any major update won't interest me. A major update like adding support for touch screen is likely to introduce a surge in the number of minor updates, which also don't affect me, but may introduce errors which do. So what's the point of extending support of a very near perfect operating system to incorporate a major change in hardware. 

I say let OpenTX rest, with the possibility of the occasional critical update when needed and when developers have the time. 

Maybe we'll see OpenEthosTX in the not too distant future?

I have Radiomaster purchased on the understanding that the touch screen will be enabled in OTX 2.4.x so not all of us wish to see OTX grind to a halt. You don't have to install all future update if they are of no interest to you. Just because FrSky are moving away from OTX there are other vendors like Radiomaster and Jumper still developing new radios to use it.

Phil.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, MattyB said:

I think there is some truth in that, and Bertrand taking the gig with Frsky does seem to have had an effect, but I don’t think OpenTX as dead. It’s just reached a point where 99.999% of people can get what they need from it in a variety of current hardware, so feature development has slowed. I still expect the touch screen 2.4 version will come though, as the likes of Radiomaster and Jumper want and need it. If the OTX team slow one or both of those companies will most likely provide resources to finish it.

I'm not suggesting it is dead, just that it has reached a finished state which does everything most need, which is exactly as you suggest. Adding touch screen support may not be a simple matter, and if Jumper and Radiomaster want it, they may have to pay for someone to do it for them. However, this brings its own problems. If one make decides to pay for this development, will it put in something to disable it for other makes, and how will they do that as it is open source software. If this happens you will probably get a fork, where Otx remains where it is for FrSky transmitters, and a separate variant appear for each of the other two makes, but that may take some considerable time. Maybe not at all.

It seems efforts are now going into Ethos, which is not open source and will only support FrSky transmitters. Whether this will roll out onto legacy transmitters or not remains to be seen. I suspect they will have to ensure some backward capabilities.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi.Like Outrunner above,the inclusion of a touchscreen was what persuaded me to buy a RM Tx16s. I have been waiting patiently for months for OTX 2.4.x release. I keep checking on Github but keep seeing the same "No release date" and "83% complete" Any progress seems to have stalled. I know Tx16s is a lot of radio for the price but if it turns out that we will never be able to use one of it's main features,I for one will feel cheated and more than a little disappointed.

When Flysky moved away from producing their cheap and cheerful (and very capable) radios and introduced the PL18 Paladin,it looked a very nice piece of kit.....but I think they dropped the ball.As is,it is not backward compatible with earlier Flysky protocols.You have to buy a module for that(not JR form factor). I don't now how well they have sold but I don't know anyone who owns one. As for the FrSky x20.....looks great but limited backwards compatibility.Both the afore mentioned radios probably appeal more to newcomers to the hobby. Those like me who have a dozen or more receivers(Frsky and others) have to factor in the cost of a new radio and a pile of new receivers.Expensive. Sorry for long post but I feel better now I got it off my chest.Going for a lie down now.

Pete.(I feel cheated!)

43 minutes ago, Peter Hill said:

As for the FrSky x20.....looks great but limited backwards compatibility.

I'm not sure what qualifies as limited compatibility, it is compatible with all FrSky D16 receivers so that's going back to 2014.  Even D8s can be made compatible with Mike Blanfords firmware installed, which takes us back to 2011-ish.  Only the early V series are excluded.

As for the EthOS operating system, people have been complaining that OpenTX is too complex and geeky, now FrSky have attempted to create something easier to get to grips with but retaining the technical abilities.

As for having to factor in the cost of a new radio and a pile of new receivers, why?  What's wrong with what you have?  I may choose to buy an X20, but not because any of my existing gear has suddenly stopped working.  If I do buy one then I'll simply bind my current rxs to it.

Edited by Bob Cotsford
  • Like 1

Frank...Maybe cheated was too strong a word...more disappointed. Not with OTX but with Radiomaster. True they never held their hand up and said " We solemnly swear that the touchscreen will be implemented in a future release of OTX" but if I remember rightly they did say it would be. As someone who struggled with OTX to begin with, thanks to all the wonderfull people on here and you tube, I can now say I am comfortable with it. I appreciate all the hard work the OTX developers do and yes,I have donated to the cause.

Bob...I did say that not all my receivers are Frsky. If you do decide to purchase the x20 maybe you will let me take a closer look at it next time we are at the flying field together. (Open from tomorrow! Yippee!) I have to say...I better stop looking at the x20 because I can feel myself getting smitten by it

Pete

I'm with Peter on this one, I will be very disappointed if the Radiomaster touch screen is not activated. It wouldn't be the end of the world it's a super radio for little money. But, Radiomaster quite clearly imply that it will happen and I quote "our touch panel ready motherboard that will support future compatible version of Open TX firmware "

Radiomaster TX16s webpage

Waiting patiently for Open TX 2.4.x

Phil.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Frank Skilbeck said:

Maybe this is one reason that Frsky are developing their own operating system for their new releases (via somebody who was/is an Open Tx developer) as the Open Tx guys are getting spread thin over many different radio brands.

Having spent a long time writing documentation for OpenTX, I have more or less stopped updating it now, as it is just too difficult to keep up with all the options in the system brought on by trying to support multiple makes of equipment and firmware.

Still debating whether to do one final update to the latest version, as I think that will be the last major change in OpenTX. Maybe other makes of equipment will fork off OpenTX to manage the features of their equipment, but that won't be a quick process.

What do people think?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Peter Hill said:

I think you are right Andy. I tend to only update if there is a new feature that appeals to me or that I think I need. If it ain't broke...etc.

Pete

I'm talking about updating documentation.

As far as OpenTX goes, I always tend to do the updates, they are very easy and you get a few extra features and bug fixes. However, if its a major update then its best to leave for a few months for the obvious bugs to be ironed out.