Radiomaster

Outrunner

1 hour ago, GrumpyGnome said:

Which leads me to believe the possibility of shooting down/being shot down if using RadioMaster MPM on an FrSky protocol is low....... especially as I only have D16 FrSky receivers

You will get fades and data losses with the 2.4gig crowded operating environment

But it was designed for that

The equipment will " reaquire " contact with the bound receiver in milliseconds.

Just make sure too, that failsafe is set on the final bind after the final fiddling.

35 minutes ago, ken anderson. said:

anyone seen a model get shot down since 2.4 radios appeared? .................... sorry about going off topic..?.

ken anderson...ne..1...shot down dept.

I have not personally seen this, but Futaba did inadvertently sell a set where it was possible to accidentally reset the Tx unique identifier to a set number so the sets would then interfere with each other. Also the very first Frsky system (modules only) didn't have a very long identifier and it was randomly assigned to the modules, it did cause two modellers in New Zealand to shoot each other down. I remember at the time a few of us were using these modules so did do some checks to make sure our modules didn't talk to receivers bound to other radios.

Slightly off topic, but aside from the MPMs what about other 3rd party modules (e.g. dedicated DSM2/DSMx ones) do they ensure they use different identifiers than the OEM equipment?

Edited by Frank Skilbeck

I may be wrong, but I believe that DSM protocols use a guid derived directly from the chip used in the module which should make sure they are always unique. I assume most of the other protocols are like FrSky ones in the MPM and use a guess and hope for the best technique. The risk of a clash is mathematically tiny right enough, but to me, being a little bit obsessive, a global unique identifier ought to be just that, unique.

That certainly was the case for DSM, even in the MPM.

The chip that has been used for DSM modules is at "end of life". I know Lemon are using a different chip now for their products and I believe Spektrum have also moved to a different chip. The unique identifier for the Lemon module is derived from the unique value of the RF chip now being used.

Mike