Covering options

GrumpyGnome

On 24/02/2021 at 14:25, Gary Manuel said:

Watching with interest.

Does anyone know whether the laminating film / adhesive is glow / petrol resistant?

I have tested overlap joints with diesel fuel and it stands up well .No lifting after an overnight test. It does peel off of balsa like any other coverings  if fuel get underneath it and  into the wood but a coat of fuel proofer on vulnerable parts before covering should stop this. Keep on testing everyone and give feed back . Now all we need is a range of coloured laminating films ?

If I ever use it on something other than my P47, I may well add the colour to the wood first. I saw a glider on another forum where the owner had done just that, with a mixture of spray paint and marker pens........ looked quite good. Although I expect if you wanted sharp lines between colours you'd need to seal the wood very well.

In the meantime, I promised I'd add some paint to my 'test piece'....

2014768133_20210228_1520342718.thumb.jpg.3d69e1d21bf278c6ae4757c1fb71ab7d.jpg

Top part is a quick blast with a cellulose based rattle can - sticks like the proverbial!

Bottom part is brushed acrylic - nowhere near as well stuck.

Both easy enough, and no prep other than a quick wipe with a cloth.  Very happy.

And when I cover it properly, I will make sure I sand more, and remove all the dust before adding the film?. And take more time painting.

So, time to take this test stuff off!

Incidentally, if anyone is considering buying this kit (Seagull Master Series P-47), don't hesitate - it's a nice build, with good quality wood.  There have been a few challenges so far, where the ply was not fully cut, the instruction book misses a few steps and a couple of places where the build sequence is plain wrong... but overall very rewarding.  So far I have built the control surfaces, tailplane, rudder, hatch and am about 90% through fuselage construction (which has required the use of ALL my pins and clamps). Reportedly, they fly well .........

GG

• Like 1

Re the  excellent fuel proofing video that Ron has done. If the wood  in vulnerable areas is treated with some Solarlac  Clearcoat before covering then no problems from fuel creeping under the covering will arise as fuel cant get into the wood grain and capillary along it. The Clearcoat also enhances the bond of the films adhesive , they weld together when the heated iron is applied . Only way to remove if this method is used is to apply heat from iron and peel away as iron is moved . I believe this only works with the Clearcoat as it a heat sensitive resin . Its also excellent as an adhesive for fixing Lightspan ( while its available )

Edited by Engine Doctor
  • Like 1

On 24/02/2021 at 19:06, Gary Manuel said:

Tell you what. There's one comparison between laminating film and your average heat activated covering film that hasn't been done yet.

Does it look like Nora Batty's tights after an afternoon in the sun?

You're onto something if it doesn't.

Hi Gary we ' had any Nora Batty sunshine yet?. I'll put the old  sample wing I covered out in the green hose when we next get some warm weather and let you know . 

• Like 1

I’ve posted this elsewhere on this forum:

If there was enough interest in lam film I’m quite happy to buy in bulk and then sell off in smaller quantities, I’m guessing that the cost would be about £0.50 / m for 38 micron, ultra matt, 635mm wide, plus postage. That’s based on the cost of a 75m roll delivered to me (£36)

• Like 1

Ron, put me down for 10m of Doculam as I've used most of mine up now.

Thank you for sharing your experiments with Doculam interesting stuff. So far I've only used it with tissue, the tissue being applied with water based varnish, works really well and looks great  on vintage models. Now I want to try painting the Doculam or even painting the wood and then putting it over the top.

Cheers 

Phil

Hi Ron, like Outrunner I've been using gloss laminating film with tissue either doped or WBV on top but would be interested to try matte film with a paint finish.

Would also like to buy 10m if that's OK with you. 

• Like 1

23 hours ago, Ron Gray said:

If there was enough interest in lam film I’m quite happy to buy in bulk and then sell off in smaller quantities

Hi Ron,

That's a very public spirited offer, but I wonder if you realise what you're letting yourself in for.  I gave a few meters of 38 micron doculam to a clubmate a few months ago, but it was a real pain to get it rolled smoothly onto another tube for him. It took about half an hour and the combined efforts of my wife and me before we got there. The film seemed determined to roll in on itself, and I didn't want it touching the floor in case it picked up debris through static.

While I was more than happy to do this as a one off, I'm not sure I'd want to do it very often.

16 minutes ago, John T said:

Hi Ron,

That's a very public spirited offer, but I wonder if you realise what you're letting yourself in for.  I gave a few meters of 38 micron doculam to a clubmate a few months ago, but it was a real pain to get it rolled smoothly onto another tube for him. It took about half an hour and the combined efforts of my wife and me before we got there. The film seemed determined to roll in on itself, and I didn't want it touching the floor in case it picked up debris through static.

While I was more than happy to do this as a one off, I'm not sure I'd want to do it very often.

?I know what you mean about rolling it up. I bought a couple of rolls , far more than I needed and thought I could sell some at a club swap-meet. The thicker 75 micron thats about 60cm wide was far easier to roll than the 30cm wide 38 micron . Even using some card board tube  its a tricky job . Good Luck 

I know that 5m of the 38 micron, 300mm wide can be folded and put in an envelope. I don’t know about larger quants but we will see, maybe I’ll need to make a re-rolling rig ?. At the moment I’m still waiting for more quotes to come back as I’ve only had one so far.