VQ Models Black Widow

Chris Freeman 3

About 7 years ago I bought a completed model but never flown Black widow. I had lost all my stuff in an house fire so buying second hand equipment was a cheaper way of getting going again. I liked the aircraft and the fact that it came with 2 brand new OS ax 120 Engines and 13 servos at the cost of 1 engine made it impossible not to buy. When I was back in my workshop after the house was rebuilt I had a look at the Black widow but was not happy with the way it was built and put aside. Over the festive season my son and I went through a number of our aircraft and made a point of flying them and getting in sorted out. The Black Widow was one of them. I had to replace most of the servos as 20kg digital servos were mostly used including the throttle and nose wheel!

The ailerons on the aircraft are very small so the full size has spoilers that extend with the aileron only when it moves up. This is replicated in the kit with a complex arrangement of bell cranks and springs. This was another area requiring attention as a mini servo is needed to fit in the wing. Lots of fiddling later I got them to work well. The Engines are larger than recommended but they were fitted so I decided to test and see what they ran like. From the first start they are the best to set up that I have ever had.

Byron and I managed to test fly the aircraft as we do not have hard lock downs in South Africa. Take off was at around 1/2 throttle with quite a steep climb out so some down was added which was the only trim needed. Aileron response is very good and the rudder and elevator are power full but not twitchy. You can fly on only rudder. Landings need some attention as it was cross wind.

bw1.jpg

bw4.jpg

bw3.jpg

Very impressive model ! That is certainly powerful too with the OS 120ax engines. It’s good that it doesn’t require lots of throttle as the sound is better and aircraft seem “more scale”at relaxed throttle settings. The OS 120 ax is a very good handling and reliable engine😊